What's new

"The Uninvited" :( Will we EVER see this on DVD?!? (1 Viewer)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
This 1944 title is long OVERDUE! This situation is one reason I keep my LD Player around. :frowning: :angry: :frowning:

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
After all these years, you'd think ... well, who knows? If this classic film isn't here yet, one has to wonder.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't understand how one of the best "ghost" films ever made is not on DVD after more than ten years of this video format. It boggles my mind that Universal or any of the studios would release much lesser films, but ignore one of the best films of a particular genre.

Crawdaddy

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I heartily agree Crawdaddy! It is impossible to fathom the thinking processes of the persons responsible for keeping "The Uninvited" away from a DVD release. :crazy:

David_D, you should have kept your LD player. :eek:

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Robert, isn't this one a Paramount property and not owned by Universal... or were you just citing the studio as an example of one who releases lesser genre films?

Eitherway, I'm in full agreement! It's a crime that The Uninvited hasn't been released yet but than you have to remember that we're talking about Paramount here... I wonder if Criterion could ever license this one out?

Danny Burk

Second Unit
Let's hope it comes SOON...it's unimaginable that this, along with MIDNIGHT, ISLAND OF LOST SOULS, SHE DONE HIM WRONG, and so many others still haven't seen a release (in R1, anyway) after so long.

Marco - yes, definitely owned by Universal, along with most other sound Paramount films through 1948.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Danny, I didn't realize they had ownership of the pre-'48 Paramount library. For a studio that built it's name and reputation on horror films in the thirties they really haven't been treating their properties with much respect. I've suggested this in another thread but I'd absolutely LOVE to see something similar to the Ford At Fox set for ALL of Universal's horror-monster-creature-thrillers through the fifties. An enormous oversized box with DVD sleeves and lots of original poster and promo art, photos, prod. stills, etc. Everything from the major productions to the dozens of sequels, films like this one and even the '50s b-grade stuff and so on..

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Another vote for this film to be released to DVD. It's one the most genuinely "scary" films ever made and features some great acting. Universal has released a ton of their '40s films in franchise collections, etc. but why they've overlooked this is beyond me.

Steve

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I've been waiting for this one since '98. I hope if it comes out, Uni gives it a wide release instead of the Best Buy-exclusive Shrinking Man that I missed out on. :angry:

PattyFraser

Second Unit
I share your pain, guys. This is one of my most eagerly awaited DVDs, along with Far from the Madding Crowd.

If "The Uninvited" ever comes on TCM or the like again, I'm just going to copy it to DVD and have done with it.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Count me in on this...unbelievable that this hasn't been released yet. There's still so many major movies that haven't been released yet in R1... I'm also still waiting for The Gunfighter & Island of Lost Souls among many others... here's hoping for a great 2008!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I agree the absence of THE UNINVITED on DVD is a major oversight, but I must also add that, while for many years Universal was practically MIA regarding classic releases, they have picked up the pace during the past two, and it would not surprise me to see this and several of our other major wish list titles come up. THE HEIRESS wasn't even released as part of a franchise set, so have faith - it will come. (Dear Universal - now that I have publicly supported you, please add to the list of films you need to release ASAP the wonderful Billy Wilder film, FIVE GRAVES TO CAIRO. Many thanks, and have a pleasant holiday!)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
An inside source has revealed that ISLAND OF LOST SOULS needs extensive restoration before it can be released on DVD. The negatives are gone, and the only vintage element is a damaged 35mm fine grain.

The same problem may apply to THE UNINVITED. The Paramount material that Universal acquired in the 1950's was generally in rough shape.

WadeM

Supporting Actor

Thankfully, yes. I think Universal has done some improvements in regards to their classic releases and I have no problem publicly supporting them at this stage. I just hope the trend continues...

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
If "Island of Lost Souls" needs major restoration work, then from my POV I would guess that we will never see it on DVD. I can't see Universal dropping a major $$$$$$$$ bundle on fixing a film such as "Island of Lost Souls". I'm figuring they can't see getting any $$$$$$ back on the deal.

ON the other hand there is apparently no hard info that I've read that says "The Uninvited" is in need of a lot of major restoration work. Plus IMHO it is a much more marketable title. The cable DVR recording I have looks decent. And, of course, I'll keep my LD until such time as I have a DVD version in my hands.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks