What's new

THE UNINVITED (1944) Finally Hits DVD (UK Only, though) (1 Viewer)

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
f18fc586_MV5BMjEyODg2MjM3NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTI5MDYyMQ._V1._SY317_.jpeg

THE DIGITAL FIX[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]: Exposure Cinema have announced the UK Region 2 DVD release of The Uninvited on 7th May 2012. Lewis Allen’s 1944 spine-tingler, starring Ray Milland, Gail Russell and Ruth Hussey, will be available in a special Collector’s Edition featuring an illustrated booklet of critical articles, posters and lobby card reproductions. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]The press release notes the film was "Previously available only on VHS and LaserDisc, the film has recently suffered poor-quality bootleg circulation. Exposure’s officially licensed release of this Universal Studios classic is vastly superior and has been remastered from original materials." [/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]Features include:[/COLOR]

• First official DVD release in the world

• Illustrated collector's booklet featuring exclusively commissioned articles and four lobby card reproductions.

• Original theatrical trailer.

• Gallery of production stills, posters and lobby cards.

• Remastered. 1.33:1 Full Frame | English DD2.0 Mono

• Dual-layer, progressive scan, high-bitrate encoding for optimum picture quality.

• Newly-written English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing.
[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]Synopsis: Seeking respite from the bustle of London life, writer Roderick Fitzgerald (Ray Milland) and his sister Pamela (Ruth Hussey) move into a neglected clifftop mansion and set about making it their home. However, it isn’t long before an unnerving presence makes itself felt: an eerie chill lingers in the rooms and distant wailing is heard at night. Despite Roderick’s cynicism, it becomes increasingly clear that the house is haunted - but why in such a snug haven would the dead trouble the living? [/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]You can pre-order now through [/COLOR]Amazon.co.uk

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I'll never forget the first time I saw this movie.
When I was in my teens, I realised I didn't like the pop music of the day and that I preferred Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald and singers of that style and quality. One of the first Sinatra recordings I became familiar with was his 1940s recording of Stella By Starlight. As time went by my record collection became ever larger and gradually the first songs I had learned were pushed into the background and semi-forgotten.
Many years later I was in a re-run theater watching The Uninvited. A vaguely familiar tune was played repeatedly as a background theme. I knew the tune but - damn it - I couldn't identify it. I must have been pretty stupid that night because the central character in the movie was named Stella. On the way home, it hit me hard. The tune was Stella By Starlight.
Will I buy this new DVD? You bet your life, I will.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
my first time watching this film was on Halloween night.
I was a young teen,babysitting for my cousin.
She lived right behind a very large cemetery.
As the movie got eerie, ta lighning storm arose flashing thunder and lighting up the cemetery through the large bay window behind the television set. !!!!
Dear Universal, where is this title for us here in the sstates?'
We have been begging for this for years.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
If we're lucky, Universal did the remastering for this title and it will eventually find its way to North America. Personally, I allow a title like this that's got a quality R2 release a year to make itself available in R1 before buying R2. Of course there are titles I simply cannot wait for and import early. This may be one of them.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Joe Caps said:
my first time watching this film was on Halloween night.
I was a young teen,babysitting for my cousin.
She lived right behind a very large cemetery.
As the movie got eerie, ta lighning storm arose flashing thunder and lighting up the cemetery through the large bay window behind the television set. !!!!
Dear Universal, where is this title for us here in the sstates?'
We have been begging for this for years.
Joe, it's a Universal controlled movie.
In Europe Universal movies are controlled/released/managed by a company called Hollywood Classics. Unlike Universal States side, Hollywood Classics is active and energetic. They get their movies released. There are dozens of Universal, Universal-International and pre 1948 Paramount movies available in Europe on DVD and now Blu-ray still waiting for a release in America and Canada.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by JoHud /t/317761/the-uninvited-1944-finally-hits-dvd-uk-only-though#post_3888241
If we're lucky, Universal did the remastering for this title and it will eventually find its way to North America. Personally, I allow a title like this that's got a quality R2 release a year to make itself available in R1 before buying R2. Of course there are titles I simply cannot wait for and import early. This may be one of them.
I agree with you. This is one that I might not wait for. I did the same for Hellzapoppin' and it is still not available in the states. I had hoped that Criterion would give this to us since they finally gave us Island Of Lost Souls.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Have to admit for someone like me who has yet to buy a region free player this is a tremendous kick in the nuts. Dear God, that booklet that's included has me salivating. A double kick in the nuts.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
A dream come true for me. I've loved this film since childhood. It sounds as if Exposure/Universal is giving THE UNINVITED the deluxe treatment. If some of the Spanish Universal titles I've acquired over the past few years are any indication, it should look fabulous. I try to collect all the Mitchell Leisen films I can for myself and various cousins, as Mitch was our great uncle. The Spanish Universal DVDs of NO TIME FOR LOVE. HOLD BACK THE DAWN and ARISE, MY LOVE are sharp, clean and of excellent quality all round. I have great hopes that this will look as good, if not better. I think my OPPO 83 was the wisest investment I've ever made. It will play anything without a hitch. Can't wait!

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I'm tempted to go for it, but it should would be nice not to have PAL speedup on this title.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
OK boys. It's arrived - several months after it was supposed to have been released.
First, some good news: it's been transferred very well. The images are stable, clear and detailed. The sound is very clean, occasionally too much so: at the beginning Ruth Hussey sounds a bit shrill. On the down side: the film has not been restored. There are many speckles which could easily have been removed digitally. There are some extras: a slim booklet; the trailer in very poor quality; some publicity photos and two radio adaptations.
More good news: the film stands the test of time. It's a really good ghost story, told well by some of Paramount's top talent including Charles Lang and Doane Harrison. And, I'm very pleased to say, the young Gail Russell is very attractive. It's a great shame that she developed personal problems which blighted her career, but here, right at the beginning of her career, she is the most likable of young heroines.
I'm very glad to add this DVD to my collection.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
KathyBeck said:
Mine arrived today too. It also has a booklet.
Thank you. I've just re-checked. So does mine. So slim I didn't notice it!
I'll amend my earlier post.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
All I can say is I envy every one of you. I don't own a region free player and I've waited sooooooooooooooo long for this film. My only hope is that it eventually comes to the U.S.. Hopefully before I pass away.:(

WadeM

Supporting Actor
I finally watched my copy. Excellent film that has held up extremely well. Loved it! Having never seen this one before (but have heard about it a lot), I'll put it up as one of the best ghost horror films, which appears to be viewpoint of many. The story is very well done, and the horror elements were quite effective. I don't disagree with the booklet's assertion that this can be placed alongside The Changeling.
Also, the 23-24 page booklet was informative, for me, and I appreciated having the different artwork included in the booklet.
As to why Universal hasn't released this in the U.S. is mind boggling.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks