What's new

The Ultimate Oliver Stone Collection - Due on 10/19/04 (1 Viewer)

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor
The Any Given Sunday "Oliver Stone Collection" release has two discs because they managed to shove the 2nd one inbetween the inner cardboard flap (the chapter listing). It's the only one of them that is designed to squeeze for the space in the box, so I'm not that surprised if they dropped the other 2 discs. Also, don't forget that this is the R-Rated Warner version of Natural Born Killers, not the Unrated Director's Cut from Lion's Gate.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
A certain store had this out early last night for $109.95 but I didn't buy it because there is NO technical information on the package. I believe the films are listed but nothing about the aspect ratios, sound or extras.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
This release has nothing to do with being the definitive Oliver Stone collection. It has everything to do with simply being a way to get extra publicity for Stone's new movie, Alexander, a ticket voucher for which is included in the box along with a promo feature about the new movie. Warner Bros. is producing/distributing the new movie and this boxed set.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Well it is entitled the "Ultimate" Oliver Stone Collection. With a name like that one would think that all the previous extras would simply be carried over. Seem that's not the case. Too bad. When it was announced I was really looking forward to it.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I just want to know whether there's any possibility that the extras from the 2nd discs of the three releases in question might have simply been squeezed onto whatever's being offered here rather than being dropped altogether, and if it's possible that this was somehow done without losing any resolution on the actual films? How is it possible that no reviews have been posted yet, I'm dying to get info on this set and find out exactly what it's all about?!?!

Laurence Price

Stunt Coordinator
The Ultimate Oliver Stone Collection is released tomorrow. Has anyone found any reviews on the internet of this set yet? I have concerns about what may have been dropped (from reading this thread) and I am also uncertain about exactly what is included.

The box set is pricey so this is why a comprehensive and detailed review may clear some of these worries up.

ErichH

Screenwriter
No joy finding any review. Can you smell it?

Here's a review at Amazon -

No one really doubts that Stone is one of the best working directors. The actual films are great, but this set is a bad marketing ploy produced to tie-in to Alexander. It's 14 discs, the 12 movies and 2 documentary discs. Each of the 12 films gets one disc, and they are the exact same DVDs that you would get if you buy the discs separate. The difference is, some of these are 2-disc sets when sold separately, and the second discs are not included in this set (so you're basically only getting disc 1 of JFK, of The Doors, Any Given Sunday, and Nixon). The extras from those weren't transferred over.. The set was produced sloppy, and fast. The packaging is horrible.

Same Ol Same Ol - Ollie must be proud of the lack of info on this title ;-))

E

Dax P

Stunt Coordinator
Hurm.

Well... shit.

Have Platoon and The Doors already.

Want the rest, but not getting the second discs of 2 disc sets JFK and Any Given Sunday and Nixon included sours it a lot...

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I think that reviewer posted out of speculation.

I would really like to see a detailed review along with close-up pictures of the set, packaging and discs in order to determine what this is really all about and if it's worth a purchase...

I was even considering buying this but substituting some of the discs (i.e. Plattoon, Heaven & Earth, etc.) which I already own and are packaged really nicely with insert booklets, etc. for the supplemental discs of "The Doors", "JFK" and "Any Given Sunday" and just hanging on to my current DVD editions of these single-disc titles. I doubt I would do that though.

I'm really surprised that not a single site has gotten a review up yet, it's not looking good at all...

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I think I'll just have to get them all individually, but of course the box would have been preferable. Oh well. That's what they get for this stupidly-made set.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

No. I believe they only planned to send the new documentaries and didn't intend to forward the whole set, but even the new discs haven't arrived yet - I've seen nothing cross my door connected to this package...

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Alright, it's been 3 days already - how is it possible that we still don't have accurate and confirmed details of this set?!?!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
furious.gif

Laurence Price

Stunt Coordinator
quote:No, I've seen it on shelf. Apparently nobodies bought it though...

I've seen it too at Futureshop. I contemplated buying the set as an upgrade to the old one but, from what I have read in this thread I chose to resist. By releasing the set around the same time as Oliver Stone's upcoming movie I got the impression that (rather than providing a true definitive collection of Oliver Stone's work) it's more of a marketing ploy and part of the advertising campaign to encourage people to go out and see Alexander by including the bonus disc of related special features, and a free ticket to the movie. Also, from the description and speculation, the set seemed to be shabbily produced and rushed as evidenced by the purported 2nd discs that were dropped from some of the original 2 disc DVDs. I also, think some of the movies should have got new Anamorphic transfers instead of just using the old editions that were already available.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Finally have what seems to be definitive details of the set from the following site:

http://www.dvdtown.com/discdetails/...lectiont/13567/

Here's a comparisson I typed up between the discs featured in this collection, and the stand-alone Special Edition and multi-disc titles available seperately for each film:

Salvador: Ultimate Oliver Stone Collection

- "Into The Valley Of Death" Documentary

- Commentary by director Oliver Stone

- Additional Scenes

- Theatrical Trailer

VS.

Salvador: Special Edition

- Making-Of Documentary

- 25 Minutes of Deleted Scenes w/ All-New Digital Transfer

- Theatrical Trailer

- Photo Gallery

Verdict =
thumbsup.gif

Both discs appear to be identical from the descriptions w/ the same features. I assume the Photo/Still Galleries would also be included in the new set even though they were not listed as it's likely considered a minor extra. I doubt very much that WB pressed a new disc for this collection.

Platoon: Ultimate Oliver Stone Collection

- "Tour Of The Inferno" Documentary

- Commentary by Military Supervisor Captain Dale Dye

- Photo Gallery

- Theatrical Trailer

- TV Spots

VS.

Platoon: Special Edition

- "Tour of the Inferno", Documentary

- Commentary by Military Supervisor Captain Dale Dye

- Photo Gallery

- Theatrical Trailer

- TV Spots

Verdict =
thumbsup.gif

Once again, both discs appear to be identical from the descriptions listed. I assume this is just the same Special Edition disc repackaged for the new collection.

Wall Street: Ultimate Oliver Stone Collection

- Making-Of Documentary

- Money Never Sleeps

- Theatrical Trailer

- TV Spots

VS.

Wall Street (Fox)

- Making-Of Documentary

- Theatrical Trailers

Verdict =
thumbsup.gif

Not sure whether Warner Bros. simply ported over last year's release from Fox as I never purchased the previous disc, but the good news is that we've either got the exact same thing, or Warners packed on some extra content. I'm not farmiliar with the feature, "Money Never Sleeps", so it's likely to be a bonus to Fox's current issue, but than again it might be on there too even though the major online retailers aren't listing it as a bonus feature. Perhaps we can get someone who owns the copy from Fox to clarify. Same goes for the TV Spots. Regardless of what we find out though, this one is either as-good or better so it's a win-win.

Talk Radio: Ultimate Oliver Stone Collection

- Production Notes

- Cast and Filmmaker Biographies

VS.

Talk Radio (Universal)

- Production Notes

- Cast and Filmmaker Biographies

Verdict =
thumbsup.gif

Same essentially bare-bones disc from Universal and there's nothing wrong with that. I would really like to know whether the transfers have been redone but it's highly doubtful considering the film has been licensed from another studio and this isn't exactly a highly distinguished title to justify the costs. Good enough, as long as we aren't missing content!

Born On The Fourth Of July: Ultimate Oliver Stone Collection

- Production Notes

- Cast and Filmmakers (?)

VS.

Born On The Fourth Of July: Special Edition

- Production Notes

Verdict =
thumbsup.gif

These discs are obviously the exact same thing since the Special Edition was just released at the same time of this set. Haven't seen the disc but than this isn't a review, simply commenting on the variations between this new "Ultimate Collection" and previous releases. I assume the film's got a new transfer to warrant the SE upgrade as commentary track alone doesn't make for much of a Speical Edition. Eitherway, nothing lost between the UC box and SE disc but than we already knew that.

The Doors: Ultimate Oliver Stone Collection

- Jump To A Song

VS.

The Doors: 2-Disc Special Edition

- Deleted Scenes / Outtakes

- Theatrical & Teaser Trailers

- Making-Of Documentary, "The Road To Excess"

- Interviews:

* Val Kilmer

* Frank Whaley

* Meg Ryan

* Kyle MacLachlan

* Kevin Dillon

* Kathleen Quinlan

* Oliver Stone

* Robby Krieger

* Patricia Kennealy-Morrison

- Behind The Scenes Footage

- Additional Footage - Original Concert Footage

- Text / Photo Galleries

- Biographies

- Production Notes

- Essay - Cinematography Moments

Verdict =
thumbsdown.gif

Well, this is Warner went and dropped the ball! There's obviously no need for further commenting, they went and took an amazing jam-packed Special Edition and padded it down to a nearly bare-bones disc, save for the director commentary track. Why did they have to kill it here?! I guess we were all expecting this much...

JFK, Director's Cut: Ultimate Oliver Stone Collection

- Cast/Crew Biographies

- Awards Roundup

VS.

JFK, Director's Cut: 2-Disc Special Edition

- "Beyond JFK: The Question Of Conspiracy" Documentary

- 11 Deleted / Extended Scenes with Optional director Commentary

- Theatrical Trailer

- Production Notes

Verdict =
thumbsdown.gif

Once again, they trimmed a great set down to a movie-only disc with commentary and essentially butchered the DVD. I have not seen the additional documentary from the 2-disc SE but apparently it was a really good one and the running time made this a significant bonus.

Heaven And Earth: Ultimate Oliver Stone Collection

- Additional Scenes

- Theatrical Trailer

VS.

Heaven And Earth...

There appears to be two seperate single DVD versions of this film, both issued by Warner Bros.

I'm actually amazed that WB seemed to pull a fast one over us on this title as the most recent disc was just issued on the same day that the Ultimate Stone Collection was released, with brand new and great-looking cover art in a sturdy keepcase - but from what Amazon & other e-tailers are listing - minus the commentary track that was previously available!

There was also an older snapper version of the film released alongside the first "Oliver Stone Collection" box-set that offered the existing commentary track and deleted scenes as extras, but while the version in this new box-set seems to be that same disc, the newly released DVD does not! Very sneaky!

Verdict =
thumbsup.gif

Happy to say that all available extras are present but that doesn't bode well unfortunatelty for those of use who are deciding not to go for this set as the new DVD release of the film has apparently dropped the commentary track and extra scenes. That means that the only other way to have them is on the older disc released alongside the first Stone box-set which came in an ugly snapper case with bad cover art. I don't understand why Warner Bros. would have decided to drop the extras on the new release when they were included in this set but as far as the new box goes, it's obviously a good thing. I'm assuming most of us are going to be passing on this one however, so it's still somewhat dissapointing.

Natural Born Killers: Ultimate Oliver Stone Collection

- Making-Of Documentary

- Chaos Rising: The Storm Around Natural Born Killers

- Additional Scenes

- Alternate Ending

- Theatrical Trailer

VS.

Natural Born Killers (Warner Bros)

- Making-Of Documentary

- Chaos Rising: The Storm Around Natural Born Killers

- Additional Scenes

- Alternate Ending

- Theatrical Trailer

Verdict =
thumbsup.gif

Same exact disc but unfortunately not the director's cut which was released exclusively though another studio only with non-anamorphic picture and I believe the same ammount of extras. Sucks that it's not the DC but again, nothing lost on this set in comparisson with the previous Warner disc.

Nixon: Ultimate Oliver Stone Collection

VS.

Nixon: 2-Disc Collector's Edition

- 2 Commentary tracks by director Oliver Stone

- Deleted Scenes

- Charlie Rose Interview

- Making-Of Documentary

- Theatrical Trailers

Verdict =
thumbsdown.gif

What the hell kind of "Ultimate Edition" is this exactly? Warners stripped every lasting feature from the DVD set and I'm not even sure if both commentaries are featured or whether it's even the same disc that Buena Vista originally released or an upgraded anamorphic transfer. If it is in fact a new transfer, than I might be willing to let that addition cancel out the lack of extras, but it's EXTREMELY doubtful given the way this entire package seems to have been tossed together. Disc 2 of the original CE release contained well over an hours worth of extra features and some great supplementals. This looks like a piece of crap.

U-Turn: Ultimate Oliver Stone Collection

- Theatrical Trailer

VS.

U-Turn (Columbia TriStar)

- Theatrical Trailer

Verdict =
thumbsup.gif

Well it's not as though there was any content here for Warners to drop anyways, same disc as expected.

Any Given Sunday: Ultimate Oliver Stone Collection

- Footage Not Seen in North American Theatres (?)

- Commentary by director Oliver Stone with select Cast and Crew

- Music-Only Audio Track

- Instant Replay: Jump to Football Game Scenes

- Theatrical Trailer

VS.

Any Given Sunday: Special Edition Director's Cut (2-Discs)

- Deleted Scenes

- Documentary - "Full Contact: The Making Of Any Given Sunday"

- Music Video - L.L. Cool J: Shut 'Em Down

- Additional Footage:

* Jamie Foxx Screen Test

* Blooper Reel

* Outtakes

- Theatrical Trailer

- Cast & Crew Biographies

- Production / Publicity Stills

Verdict =
thumbsdown.gif

We lost the documentary, the deleted scenes, all the additional footage, music video, etc.

Oliver Stone's America: Ultimate Oliver Stone Collection (Box Set Exclusive)

- Stone’s New York University Student Film - "Last Year In Vietnam"

Bonus Disc: Ultimate Oliver Stone Collection

- On The Set Of "Alexander":

"Go inside the mind and work ethic of a dynamic director, profiled via insights from he stars of his newest movie."

- Looking For Fidel:

"In his second visit with Fidel Castro in April 2003, Stone faces the Cuban leader with hard-hitting questions about the unstable U.S.-Cuban political relations, its links to the wave of Cuban plane and ship hijackings, prisoner executions, the rise of Cuban dissident movement as well as human rights issues which the Cuban leader has never discussed in such detail."

- Persona Non Grata:

"Journeying to Jerusalem, Tel Aviv and Ramallah in March 2002, Stone visits leaders on both sides of the Israeli/Palestinian Conflict and takes viewers into the streets where people try to carry on normal lives."

So as expected... this "Ultimate Collection" is nothing more than a shitty thoughtlessly composed promotional release for Stone's new movie. No sale here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks