What's new

The Twilight Zone (1 Viewer)

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
if nobody gets what i am talking about, i will refer you to another tz episode, in which serling basically infers the same basic thing.

but i want to see if anyone else comes up with it, without a clue.

one tz enthusiast that i know mentioned it right away, but he is a huge tz fan.

can tell me not only about the episode, but the actors in it, etc.

serling did this a lot with various topics that he liked.

time travel was in 10 episodes, i bet.

and of course, time is something we still know very little about.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
steel - a good show, but not a great one.

you guys already know what i think about nightmare - it is on next.

i have no idea how this episode has become a cult classic - i find it to be one of the worse episodes of tz, so far.

i wonder if capt kirk has anything to do with it ?

Tooncy

Second Unit
I agree, Nightmare is not a very good episode. I find it boring and laughable at the same time. People who saw it as children were probably scared by it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Nightmare is one of the greats in my book. I've never even seen an entire episode or movie of the original Star Trek so for me, it's not any type of love for William Shatner (though I imagine it plays a part for some people). I will agree that part of my love of the episode is because I was scared by and enjoyed it as a kid though. The biggest reason I like it is because it's a suspenseful and well done episode.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
despite his personal life arrogance, william shatner always seems to do a fine acting job - this was no exception.

never heard of asa maynor, but i thought she had a cute face.

the episode did a good job of showing a man with some neurotic problems of some sort.

and if it had had a realistic ending, i might have enjoyed it.

but to make the monster real was STUPID.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
jimmyjet said:
the episode did a good job of showing a man with some neurotic problems of some sort.and if it had had a realistic ending, i might have enjoyed it.but to make the monster real was STUPID.
Making the monster real was what gave it the twist. No one on the plane (or in the audience watching the show) believes it is real because Shatner has been established as a guy who has had a breakdown. When the monster 'hides' when someone else looks out the window, we assume it has to be Shatner's imagination. The joke is that there's a monster on the wing and the only guy who sees it is someone no one will believe.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
The story of Nightmare at 20,000 Feet seems to me a means of illustrating an individual's quest to achieve lasting self-confidence and to overcome his own past. At the end of the show, Wilson doesn't care that he is being committed again because, for the first time, he believes in himself and so it doesn't matter if no one else believes in him. If the monster hadn't been real, what would the show have been about?

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i want it to be realistic.

having the monster real - to me was like not having a good ending, so they dumbed it down.

the panel is torn up during the flight, and magically comes back together again ?

only to be torn up when the plane lands ?

it is just dumb to have that stuff turn out to be real.

i am not a writer, so i am not sure what they could have done, while keeping the monster imaginative.

and apparently, neither could the writers, or they would not have written something so dumb.

if they had wanted to come up with that concept of shatner being the only one to have seen something, the writers should have come up with something unusual but possible.

but a man walking on an airplane while it is flying, tearing up panels that magically come back down, the man zooming off the plane when anyone else looks, and then coming back down when shatner looks ??

how much more unrealistic can ya get ?????

even i could write something that dumb and unbelievable.

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
jimmyjet said:
i want it to be realistic.

having the monster real - to me was like not having a good ending, so they dumbed it down.

the panel is torn up during the flight, and magically comes back together again ?

only to be torn up when the plane lands ?

it is just dumb to have that stuff turn out to be real.

i am not a writer, so i am not sure what they could have done, while keeping the monster imaginative.

and apparently, neither could the writers, or they would not have written something so dumb.

if they had wanted to come up with that concept of shatner being the only one to have seen something, the writers should have come up with something unusual but possible.

but a man walking on an airplane while it is flying, tearing up panels that magically come back down, the man zooming off the plane when anyone else looks, and then coming back down when shatner looks ??

how much more unrealistic can ya get ?????

even i could write something that dumb and unbelievable.
Do you realize that you are talking about Richard Matheson????? :)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
While on the subject of Nightmare, am I the only one who thinks the monster looks cool? Its body is a cute fat teddy bear but its hideous pig-like face creates a spooky duality for me. Even the stuff that they have the monster do that looks fake (like landing on the wing) somehow adds to its weird vibe for me.

John Green

Auditioning
Going a little off topic here but this has been bugging me for years.

I remember seeing a show once that was very much like TZ and OL.

The episode was about a little girl on a bicycle who was crossing a road but time appeared to have stopped.

A man (in real time) realises that time had not stopped completely but was moving incredibly slowly.

The little girl would get hit by a truck coming down the road but obviously in very slow motion!

I cannot remember the name of the show but probably saw it about 25 years ago. It was in black and white.

Can somebody please help?

rjd0309

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
John Green said:
Going a little off topic here but this has been bugging me for years.

I remember seeing a show once that was very much like TZ and OL.

The episode was about a little girl on a bicycle who was crossing a road but time appeared to have stopped.

A man (in real time) realises that time had not stopped completely but was moving incredibly slowly.

The little girl would get hit by a truck coming down the road but obviously in very slow motion!

I cannot remember the name of the show but probably saw it about 25 years ago. It was in black and white.

Can somebody please help?
Outer Limits - "The Premonition"

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
Shatner's Grim Reaper said:
Do you realize that you are talking about Richard Matheson????? :)
i think they had writer's block. or simply were not interested to spend the time necessary to come up with a believable story.

the idea (somebody sees something that no one else does, and ends up being correct) is an old one, and no doubt they could have come up with something good.

if they had wanted to make it scary, they might have had a man on top of a train trying to do something that only shatner sees, and no one believes him, cuz the man stays pretty well hidden.

and then they end it with the train stopped, and one of the pins holding the cars together is almost out.

they could have still had the same amount of horror, but made it truly believable.

i will call it trainmare at jimmy's place !!!!

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
jimmyjet said:
i think they had writer's block. or simply were not interested to spend the time necessary to come up with a believable story.

the idea (somebody sees something that no one else does, and ends up being correct) is an old one, and no doubt they could have come up with something good.

if they had wanted to make it scary, they might have had a man on top of a train trying to do something that only shatner sees, and no one believes him, cuz the man stays pretty well hidden.

and then they end it with the train stopped, and one of the pins holding the cars together is almost out.

they could have still had the same amount of horror, but made it truly believable.

i will call it trainmare at jimmy's place !!!!
They? Who is "they"??? The script was written by one guy --- the brilliant Richard Matheson --- based on his own short story. What's this "writer's block" crap?

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
he wasnt brilliant on this one !!

writer's block is when a writer cant come up with a good story - no matter how good the writer may have been in previous writings.

he may have written it, but it was approved by someone, as well.

i find it embarrassingly bad. hardly worthy of being a twilight zone episode.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks