What's new

The Twilight Zone Season Four: What to expect? (1 Viewer)

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Ron, which episode(s) in particular put you off? It's true that the hour-long format is quite jarring after three seasons of 30-minute episodes, but there are a number of very fine episodes in season 4. I'd say even the lesser episodes are never less than watchable. The change was an experiment, clearly an unsuccessful one, but we still ended up with great episodes like:

In His Image
Jess-belle
Death Ship
Printer's Devil
Miniature
On Thursday We Leave for Home
The Incredible World of Horace Ford
He's Alive
Mute

I'd say season five had WAY more clunkers, but even most of them are at least tolerable. That's one of the many glories of The Twilight Zone: even at its lowest, it's still better than most of the crap TV has to offer.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
The 4th season wasn't an experiment, Craig. CBS was influenced by the massive fan write-in campaign to save a show they already cancelled. The network revived the show and expanded it to an hour in the hope that it would result in higher ratings. Well, that planned move didn't work. But the ratings were decent enough for them to bring it back for one more season, although as a half-hour again. It always comes down to the money, and this show was no exception...even if many of the weakest stories are from the final year.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
What's the use?!

No! We don't hate you but come on how can you not like THE TWILIGHT ZONE (CBS 1959-64) in an hour long format as a refreshing change-of-pace?

You watch THE OUTER LIMITS (ABC 1963-65) don't you? Well that's an hour in length.

How about VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (ABC 1964-68), THE TIME TUNNEL (ABC 1966-67) and THE INVADERS (ABC 1967-68)?

The trick here is to bear in mind that you are (almost) literally viewing a mini-film and have to (psychologically) orient yourself to this from the very outset. This is definitely not for someone who's in a (mad) rush to get the program over with in a hurry.

Slow down! Relax! Enjoy and savour these marvellous dramas!

That's what really bothers me about half hour tv series in that one starts watching them and BANG! they're over before you know it.

The hour long format is more lasting. It requires some cooperation and (more) attention involvement on the part of the viewer.

So try again without fighting it! Sheesh!

I'll save my comments on the fifth season (1963-64) when it comes closer to the time of its release.

Jeff T.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Jeff#, I've been studying the series for the past twenty-five years of my life. I'm WELL schooled in the history of the series, including the circumstances leading into the fourth season. If the network insisted on a major change to the series in an attempt to garner better ratings, then changed it back for the next season, how is this NOT an experiment (and a failed one at that)? Had it been successful, season five would have retained the hour format. The network didn't see the results it wanted, so the show was changed back to 30 minutes. Sure sounds like an experiment to me.

From Marc Scott Zicree's The Twilight Zone Companion:

"In the spring of 1963, CBS renewed Twilight Zone for a fifth season, shortening it back to half an hour. The network's experiment had failed; Twilight Zone's expanded size had not made for an expanded audience."

I guess Mr. Zicree and I are both wrong. Next time I talk to him, I'll make sure and let him know. :rolleyes

Back to the DVD set.... As usual, breathtaking image quality, much improved sound, fun extras. Par for the course. Another winner.

However, here's a gripe (a relatively minor one, to be sure): Look at the box's spine compared to the previous three sets. Why is everything (text, graphics, etc.) so much BIGGER? It really makes the set stick out. Maybe the enlarged design reflects the enlarged format of the season four episodes?

Also, the stills gallery inexplicably features a shot from season three ("The Last Rites of Jeff Myrtlebank") and one from season five ("Black Leather Jackets"). Is Image getting lazy now that the project is winding down?

But oh, that wonderful SNL skit (in glorious black and white, no less) more than makes up for these strange incongruities. :D

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

I think perhaps Mr. Epstein is of the same mindset that I possess re. The Twilight Zone (CBS Television Network Production; 1959-1964 AD; Created by Rod Serling {Born 1924, Died 1975}). ;)

That mindset being:

"If it is not in a state of horrid disrepair, then do not attempt to needlessly rehabilitate the formatting of a great TV show like The Twilight Zone (CBS Television Network Production; 1959-1964 AD)".

Regards,
DVP -- Long-Time Admirer of The Twilight Zone (CBS Television Network Production; 1959-1964 AD)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I only made it 3/4 of the way through the
very first episode, which I believe is
entitled, In his own Image.

It just dragged. I lost interest. Honestly,
it wasn't even that good.

Another part of the problem I have is that
I had just received The Munsters Season 2
and in a few weeks, Green Acres Season 3.

There is just so much for me to watch that is
getting backlogged and I need to put my priorities
in order.

Had this been the standard 30-minute Twilight
Zone
fare, I would have stuck with it. In fact,
I plan to drop everything I am watching and
concentrate on Season 5 when it arrives
in December.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Ron, Like others have said before. Take an hour and watch "On Thursday We Leave For Home". Easily one of the best episodes of the series.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor

It's good to finally read some feedback on the transfers of seaon 4, and a flattering one, thanks Craig.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
I disagree!

I commend the CBS Television Network for attempting something different with THE TWILIGHT ZONE (CBS 1959-64).

Some of the subsequent 18 episodes produced were excellent, some were good and some were only just fair but I don't think any of the segments were (truly) that bad.

Remember that everybody was more-or-less rushed into the new format at the last possible moment and all things considered they handled the situation well enough indeed.

Don't let my extra notational flourishes annoy you (if they do that is). I (hugely) enjoy doing them which is my right.

Jeff T.

Dave Jessup

Stunt Coordinator
Hello, Craig (re: message #56 above)

Here's a cut and paste that might be of interest, from Best Buy's website, but referring to b&m stores:

What if I find a lower price at a Best Buy store or BestBuy.com?
If you find a lower price on BestBuy.com or at another Best Buy store either at the time of your purchase or within 30 days of your purchase (14 days for desktop computers, notebooks, projectors, monitors, printers, camcorders, digital cameras and radar detectors), we will refund you 100% of the difference. The extra 10% of the difference does not apply. (Web exclusive offers advertised on BestBuy.com are not eligible for price matches.)

I had to snake around their website to find their price-match policies, but had that and the web page printed out when I brought the receipt back the next day & got the refund of ca. fifteen bucks.

More on topic - sorry that Ron didn't find this season as captivating as the half-hours. As always, a matter of taste on these. As a long time scholar of the series I agree overall it's a weaker season; I'd put it on a par with the fifth. But I'm delighted they're available and in such superb transfers - after many years of unavailability. And maybe when things calm down... (but things never calm down, do they, folks?)

JeffT.

Deceased Member
"I remember going into the Villa Di Stefano offices and really pitching my heart out. I wanted to do THE OUTER LIMITS because (THE) TWILIGHT ZONE was a goner then."--Harlan Ellison.

Well my fourth season (1963) DVD set arrived today and I've absolutely no reluctance in watching these (always entertaining) 18 hour long segments myself.

I'm (especially) really looking forward to seeing those next week previews once again.

What's generally not known is that after the series' cancellation at the conclusion of the fifth season (1963-64) the CBS Television Network was (literally) inundated with protests from angry viewers (which was reported in TV Guide magazine) and as a concession to their demands most of the hour long segments were aired during the Summer months of the 1964-65 tv season on Sunday nights at 9:00 p.m. E.S.T. opposite BONANZA (NBC 1959-73).

This is when I first saw these particular TZ segments and was (as a boy at the time) totally enthralled and captivated by these (truly) amazing presentations.

Whatever one makes of these hour length shows today they have endured over the succeeding years and have still proven to be (very) popular with tv audiences (around the world) to this very day.

These presentations still embodied the finest aspects of the previous (three) seasons in its consistently outstanding casting, innovatively professional execution and maintaining fine production values.

Harlan Ellison wanted to write for THE TWILIGHT ZONE (CBS 1959-64) but was too late to make a contribution due to its cancellation but his participation is a good indicator that a sixth season could have been conceivable.

Due to THE TWILIGHT ZONE's phenomenal popularity in retrospect I'm sure that the CBS Television Network now wishes that it had kept this tv series going even longer.

Jeff T.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
Absolutely fantastic!

I had the occasion to watch two hour length segments of THE TWILIGHT ZONE - THE DEFINITIVE EDITION, SEASON FOUR 6-disc box set and was thoroughly pleased with both the great fourth season (1963) segments and this marvellous DVD collection itself which is probably the stellar tv series release of the year.

The two segments that I viewed were "No Time Like the Past (14/03/1963) and "The Parallel" (14/03/1963) certainly among the season's more solid efforts particularly "No Time Like the Past" which showcases a superbly bravura performance by the late Dana Andrews (January 01st, 1909 - December 17th, 1992) who portrays a disillusioned 20th Century physicist seeking to make a better place for himself sometime back in the past.

The writing in this segment is among Rod Serling's finest to be sure (albeit if a bit postured at times)!

The source elements were uniformly excellent and the inclusion of the mid-episode bumpers and next week previews were an added treat that (further) enhanced these (highly) entertaining presentations even more so.

For "The Parallel" a bonus taped interview with frequent series stalwart Paul Comi ("People are Alike all Over," "The Odyssey of Flight 33" and "The Parallel") was included and very well handled indeed. It's (really) nice to have the opportunity to actually see these celebrities as they are today.

One thing is for certain that this fourth season set refutes the (erroneous) notion that the hour long segments are (somehow) sub par in comparison to the earlier shows produced (pretty much perpetuated by TZ expert Marc Scott Zicree)...which isn't true at all!

I (personally) like the (format) change and it affords the opportunity to flesh out the characterizations even more so than the shorter length teleplays possibly could. But either way THE TWILIGHT ZONE remains of considerable fascination and enjoyment.

All that can really be said is that the creative team behind this extraordinary DVD collection truly did an outstanding job and these (priceless) sets have been worth every cent spent on them.

I was positively delighted seeing these (50 minute) shows again and look forward to taking in more of them.

I salute and commend you all! Thanks guys. With (quality) DVD releases like this who needs cable tv?

I wish that you (good) people would take on THE INVADERS (ABC 1967-68) now.

Jeff T.

Footnote: There may well be those here who (doggedly) harbour different viewpoints about the (actual) merit of the fourth season episodes and that's certainly your prerogative to do so but I've already stated my position and (tiresome) debate on this matter just wouldn't serve any constructive purpose. I'm not going to participate in any such (senseless) argument myself. Considering the difficult, adverse circumstances in which these shows were made under Rod Serling and his talented production team admirably rose to the occasion and (successfully) accomplished an exceptional (and enduring) achievement nonetheless.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Ron, I have to agree with you. I am a great fan of the program (I grew up in Binghamton, NY - the hometown of Rod Serling) but aside from the few episodes that made their way onto the old laserdisc box-sets, these hour-long programs are pretty foreign to me. I eagerly looked forward to viewing what would be new-to-me episodes of Twilight Zone. Unfortunately, it took me three sittings to make it through, "In His Image." This simplistic and derivative story could have easily unspooled in 30-minutes. It is pretty unremarkable all the way around, IMO.

Ron, your assessment of, "In His Image," is right on the money, but please don't give up on season four based on this one episode. Things pick up considerably, in fact with the very next episode, and like others have said, this season is peppered with some very good shows.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Are the bumpers on these sets at every commercial break? BTW, Stephen, you guys have done a phenomenal job on this series...hats off to you.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
I've watched 12 episodes so far and only one was missing a next week preview (for "The New Exhibit") but all the ones that I've seen in this fourth season (1963) collection had the added mid-episode bumpers but there were a couple of segments that had additional bumpers shown after the main title as well...which was very strange to say the least.

Despite running an hour in length (actually 50 minutes) these well done presentations still go by very fast just the same and being an anthology tv series gives the show an interesting diversity.

I haven't found a single episode that I'd consider to be boring or uninteresting myself...and that includes "In His Image" (03/01/1963).

Bring on the fifth season (1963-64) DVD collection!

Jeff T.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks