What's new

The Twilight Zone Season Four: What to expect? (1 Viewer)

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Ronald,

Your recall on the episode is pretty much dead on. "The Bewitchin' Pool" to me also has a quirky memorable appeal, mainly because of the dialogue and my empathy for the two children. I can also watch "Black Leather Jackets" because of Shelley Fabares and the bizareness of Michael Forest as an extra-terrestrial motorcycle tough. But I sure can't stomach "Spur of the Moment" and "Come Wander With Me" which are just plain dull.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Earl Hamner's best work on The Twilight Zone were "The Hunt" in the third season and "Jess-Belle" (starring Anne Francis and James Best) in the 4th season. His WORST was easily "The Bewitchin' Pool" in the fifth year, and he can never live that one down.

I hope Mr. Hamner didn't do an audio commentary for that episode for the final Definitive Collection boxed set, but if he did I will listen to it. THE WALTONS remains his crowning achievement, and the man has a very calm and reassuring voice.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
My copy arrived yesterday. Can anyone tell me why there are only three episodes on each disc? Seems to me four would have fit just fine and they could have kept the set to 5 discs, including extras.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
3 episodes to a disc is fine with me! What's not so fine is that Best Buy charges $87.99 in their stores. $73.99 is their website price. The best in-store price I can find is Walmart ($85).

Fry's will probably have it for less than Best Buy, but they don't have it in stock yet. Circuit City is anyone's guess.

And no, I'm not a member of Costco and since I don't buy things in bulk, I'm not joining...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

I was wondering the same thing. Just a guess but maybe the extras were too large to fit four episodes on a disc. Granted that seems unlikely when you look at something like Lost (which is color, anamorphic, DD 51. track, commentaries) which has four episodes and looks great.

Either way, the set would be $100 MSRP so I guess the three episodes lets it 'breath' better. :)

Jeff#

Screenwriter
That's the best price in town! And I hope they keep it at that price for a while, because I can't order anything through the mail right now. My landlady has yet to come through on the mailbox key, but she's still trying....:frowning:

Dave Jessup

Stunt Coordinator
For Jeff# (post #45 above) - Best Buy, by their published policies, should price-match their website price. They won't give an extra 10%, but they will match; they did for me. I was annoyed by that discrepancy, too.

Though I'm only halfway through season 3's box, I've jumped into season 4. Watching "In His Image," my wife joined me and was as captivated as when we watched it together off the single-disc release a few years back.

If I recall, a picky fault with "...Owl Creek Bridge"'s transfer in the "Treaures/More Treasures" VHS/DVD is the superimposition of the original broadcast date over the opening scenes. I'd imagine it'll be clean in the season 5 box.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I was joking in my previous post, because there is no way I'm joining CostCo when all I need from them is an occasional DVD set. Nope...I'll get TZ Season 4 at a discount but not from them, and not for another two weeks until I have some extra cash to spend.

I asked Best Buy about their website price yesterday, Dave, and they said the store price is always more and that they can't sell at the price quote on their site. Based on that I don't see how they would match their own website, when they have a policy against matching website prices.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well suit yourself, but personally I save a hell of a lot more money per year on dvds at Costco than the cost of membership. And that's not even counting all of the other savings on stuff my wife buys there.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You guys are going to hate me, but....

I gave up on Season Four.

The episodes are too long. Too drawn out.

I have other TV sets to get through and I think that
once they are done perhaps I'll revisit Season Four.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

I agree completely with your S.4 assessment. They are "padded" to the hilt, IMO. They all could easily have been trimmed to 30-minute episodes. Although I do enjoy a few of the 1-hour ventures -- eg: "Printer's Devil", featuring the devilishly-sinister Burgess Meredith.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Well Ron,

There may have been a good reason that they switched back to the half hour format in season 5!

I have not seen all of the episodes, but I remember liking "On Thursday we Leave for Home" and "Miniature". I cnnot remember if I have ever seen "Printer's Devil"

I'll be picking this up when it shows up at BJ's Wholesale Club. Sadly, no Costco around here.

Ric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks