What's new

Blu-ray Review The Twilight Zone Season 5 Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
TravisR wrote (post #15):
Originally Posted by Lord Dalek [Post #4]
Come Wander With Me - worst episode ever
For some reason (must be a masochistic streak), I enjoy Ring-A-Ding Girl, Come Wander With Me and The Fear despite their flaws.

"Come Wander with Me" --- certainly one of my favorite episodes, despite "prevailing opinion".

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Anyone know why this is under review at Amazon? Is there a problem with the set that I haven't seen reported?

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Sure don't. It was reinstated a couple of days after you posted that...and now it's "under review" again. Haven't found any comments or discussion about it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Chas in CT said:
Sure don't. It was reinstated a couple of days after you posted that...and now it's "under review" again. Haven't found any comments or discussion about it.
I've been busy watching that new Star Wars set so I haven't finished watching this set yet. However, I did get through all the video material (the episodes, interviews, etc.) on the first two discs and didn't notice any problems. I'm curious as to what the potential situation is.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
Craig Beam said:
I'm a bit pissed that five original scores aren't isolated on season five. They are:
Black Leather Jackets (Van Cleave)
From Agnes, With Love (Van Cleave)
Queen of the Nile (Lucien Morawack)
Caesar and Me (Richard Shores)
Mr. Garrity and the Graves (Tommy Morgan)
I really wanted the Van Cleaves, especially the jazzy "Black Leather Jackets." I imagine I'll NEVER acquire these scores now (along with season one's "Time Enough at Last" by Leith Stevens). That makes 6 "lost" scores altogether... I guess it's not bad, given how many Image did give us... but if they really went back to the original negatives, why couldn't isolated tracks be provided for EVERY SINGLE EPISODE? Sheesh.
'Original Negatives' refers to picture only.
The reason all the episodes that you list had no isolated scores is that only composite mono optical tracks were available, unlike the others which were from multi-track 35mm mag and half-inch.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Stephen PI said:
'Original Negatives' refers to picture only.
The reason all the episodes that you list had no isolated scores is that only composite mono optical tracks were available, unlike the others which were from multi-track 35mm mag and half-inch.
Well, that explains it. Thanks! Are you the same "Stephen P." who posts (or used to post) over at the Bernard Herrmann forum?

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Further in the saga of The Twilight Zone on Amazon, Season 5 no longer carries the "ITEM UNDER REVIEW" notice -- but it's also not listed as being for sale by Amazon -- only by "these sellers...".

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
And the Blu-ray series isn't even for sale, period, on B&N. WTF?

Was that always the case?

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Timothy E said:
There is a small number of special features from the DVD season sets that have not been ported over to the Blu-ray editions, so devout fans may want to hold onto the DVD sets if they want to keep those extras.
Besides the "American Masters documentary on the Season 5 DVD set, does anybody have a list of the features from previous seasons (if any) that were not ported over to the Blu-ray editions?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Dave B Ferris said:
Besides the "American Masters documentary on the Season 5 DVD set, does anybody have a list of the features from previous seasons (if any) that were not ported over to the Blu-ray editions?
I posted this in the S4 review thread. I thought I updated it for S5 but if I did, I can't find it. Anyway, here's the list with the updates for the S5 Blu-rays:
Since I apparently have a raging case of OCD, I figured out which features were not ported over from the DVDs. Here's a list of them...
Season One set*
Time Enough At Last: Drew Carey Show clip
The Mighty Casey: photo gallery (5 pictures)
bonus features: billboards (3 are not ported over- 1. Sanka Coffee "Newest Coffee Sensation", 2. Kimberly Clark- Kleenex boxes popping up one by one, 3. Kleenex- animated)
photo gallery (24 pictures)
Rod Serling game show photos (2 pictures)
comic book (.pdf)
Season Two set**
Twenty-Two: script (.pdf)
bonus features: The Jack Benny Show clip
billboards (6 are not ported over- 1. Veto Deodorant, 2. Contac "TZ is brought you by...", 3. Palmolive Soap, 4. Palmolive Rapid Shave Cream, 5. Sanka Coffee "Whole New Blend- TZ is brought to you by..." and 6. Sanka Coffee "Whole New Blend- TZ has been brought to you by...")
photo gallery (32 pictures)
comic book (.pdf)
Season Three set
It's A Good Life: It's Still A Good Life clip and commentary by Bill Mumy
bonus features: Sci-Fi Marathon spots
Night Gallery spots (promos, bumpers, teasers, intorduction and station IDs)
photo gallery (38 pictures)
comic book (.pdf)
Season Four set
Miniature: color scenes from the syndicated version
bonus features: photo gallery (17 pictures)
billboards (1 is not ported over- Micrin/Pretty Perm)
comic book (.pdf)
Season Five set
bonus features: highlights from the Museum Of Television & Radio Seminar
billboards (1 is not ported over- Pall Mall)
photo gallery (61 pictures)
Submitted For Your Approval documentary
* Netherlands Sales Pitch is on the S5 Blu-ray
** The Mike Wallace Interview is on the S5 Blu-ray.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Oh and the season 1 billboards are on season 5 as well (for some reason).

Don't know why they couldn't retain the colorized Miniature bits though, even though they looked like crap even on dvd.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Thanks to TravisR and Lord Dalek for their responses.
I'm fairly new to Blu-Ray. However, I picked up S1 of Twilight Zone on Blu even before I had a player (or the ability to connect a player) - because I knew I would want the pilot (and did not want to run the risk of the release ever going OOP, for any unforeseen reason). So, last week, instead of picking up the Complete Series release on Blu, I picked up S2, S3, S4 and S5 (individually).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Lord Dalek said:
Oh and the season 1 billboards are on season 5 as well (for some reason).
Don't know why they couldn't retain the colorized Miniature bits though, even though they looked like crap even on dvd.
That's right. I swear this list was discussed and corrected in another thread but due to the boatload of TZ threads, I couldn't locate the post today. I'll go through the billboards again at some point and double check all of them (then I'll forget what thread this was in and end up posting them in some random thread).

Bobbo

Grip
Real Name
Robert
FYI - For those who haven't purchased it yet, the Complete Series on Blu-Ray is on sale today (4th of July) at Amazon for $179.00:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Twilight-Zone-Complete-Blu-ray/dp/B007I8KXQ8/ref=xs_gb_A35RZU5R2VU4DH?pf_rd_p=441937901&pf_rd_s=right-1&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=20&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0H7PTVKNFZXDE4RZHXPX

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
And if you're watching this on Scifi right now, prepare to have your mind blown by how poor it looks on tv (Scifi's prints date back to the mid-80s albeit slightly amended) compared to the superior presentation offered by the blu-rays.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks