What's new

THE TRAIN - HEAVEN KNOWS MR. ALLISON (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
telzall said:
Agree with the positive assessment of this film. I just ordered my BD last night.
Do I need to keep my old DVD copy for the commentary, etc?
Nope, the Frankenheimer commentary as well as the Redman, Kirgo and Seydor commentary are on this BD release.

telzall

Stunt Coordinator
second star to the right; straight on til morning
Real Name
joe
Robert Crawford said:
Nope, the Frankenheimer commentary as well as the Redman, Kirgo and Seydor commentary are on this BD release.
Thanks, for the info, Robert and Hollywoodaholic.
Robert Mitchum had some interesting words to say about Heaven Knows... at the old AFI tribute to John Huston (on VHS somewhere in my "archives")
It concerned "long pig", among other anecdotes .

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Hollywoodaholic said:

Thanks! Just received my copy - love the black and white artwork. Most people dismiss things like artwork as unimportant but I think it adds to the fun of collecting. I wonder if Twilight Time has any more UA titles on the schedule or if those belong to Kino now. Either way, I'm thrilled that someone is releasing them on Blu.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
cineMANIAC said:
Thanks! Just received my copy - love the black and white artwork. Most people dismiss things like artwork as unimportant but I think it adds to the fun of collecting. I wonder if Twilight Time has any more UA titles on the schedule or if those belong to Kino now. Either way, I'm thrilled that someone is releasing them on Blu.
On Facebook they say that they have other MGM/UA titles including more Woody Allen.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Yeah, I noticed that on my last order from Amazon UK. Oy!! [emoji33]

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Mark Cappelletty said:
Apparently THE TRAIN is moving very quickly, so if you have been dragging your feet on this one, don't.
It's a "full head of steam" for that one Mark. Probably won't last until the next pre-orders...and even with its 1-per limit might not make it through the end of month.

BTW, the TT-exclusive 2nd commentary with Nick Redman, Julie Kirgo, and Paul Seydor is not to be missed...I think 'core fans of this title will be very pleased.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
ROclockCK said:
It's a "full head of steam" for that one Mark. Probably won't last until the next pre-orders...and even with its 1-per limit might not even make it through the end of month.

BTW, the TT-exclusive 2nd commentary with Nick Redman, Julie Kirgo, and Paul Seydor is not to be missed...I think 'core fans of this title will be very pleased.
An excellent commentary! I've only watched the BRD only once, but I viewed it with this commentary because I know the film so well.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Brad here. Put my order in yesterday for both. Had to push back my planned Disney purchases since "The Train" seems to be on the cusp of a sellout. Looking forward to these films on the 70" Vizio.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Robert Crawford said:
An excellent commentary! I've only watched the BRD only once, but I viewed it with this commentary because I know the film so well.
In tone, just fans yakking to fans...but they sure do their homework! :thumbs-up-smiley:

Lately, some of Redman and Kirgo's best commentaries have accompanied their Film 4 titles (especially Rita, Sue and Bob Too and Fever Pitch), which don't seem to be moving as briskly as their MGM catalogue, so perhaps that fine analysis is currently a bit underappreciated. Definitely worth checking out though; not only have TT's Film 4 catalogue choices all been interesting cinematically, but their background support via the commentaries has become almost required listening for us new world ex-colonists.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Hell just froze over, since I ordered 3 titles from TT. The Train, The Mechanic and Brannigan. I kinda wanted to "break" my boycott and see some of these releases in my own eyes."BTW, the TT-exclusive 2nd commentary with Nick Redman, Julie Kirgo, and Paul Seydor is not to be missed..."One problem with TT for me has been the lack of extras. And the lack of "exclusive" extras. These audio commentaries kinda sealed the deal for me.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Jari K said:
Hell just froze over, since I ordered 3 titles from TT. The Train, The Mechanic and Brannigan. I kinda wanted to "break" my boycott and see some of these releases in my own eyes."BTW, the TT-exclusive 2nd commentary with Nick Redman, Julie Kirgo, and Paul Seydor is not to be missed..."One problem with TT for me has been the lack of extras. And the lack of "exclusive" extras. These audio commentaries kinda sealed the deal for me.
That was true about the lack of extras at the beginning. However, I think TT adjusted their thinking as many of their later releases do have bonus material now.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Robert, I've noticed that TT has listened the fans so I'm also willing to listen the TT (so to speak). The truth is that for that price I expect some extras and I've always liked good audio comnentaries.

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
Just ordered the blu-ray of The Train at Screen Archives where it's still going for 30 shells, limited to only one copy. One of my most favorite films. Saw it 2 or 3 times in the theater upon first release.
Still mulling over Khartoum, another film I saw multiple times upon release.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Got both. Just finished "Heaven Knows Mr. Allison" but have to wait now till I get back home for "The Train" since I didn't want to take these valuable blus on the road and office. Oh and has anybody read of any comparisons of "The Train "(1964 ) and " The Monuments Men" (2014)?

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Enjoyed THE TRAIN even though I've seen it many times before, including when it was first released. I always enjoy Nick and team's commentary track. But as regards their comments about the scene showing Lancaster getting shot in the leg to get round his knee injury; surely the fact that he is running normally in the scene before being shot means it must have been filmed later, after principal photography had finished - when his knee had healed?Mulling over whether to get THE BLUE MAX next!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks