What's new

The Tom & Jerry/Grape Ape Show on DVD (1 Viewer)

ClassicTVFan1981

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Benjamin Edge
Hi,

Before Warner Video conjures up any plans to release the 1975-76 "The Tom & Jerry/Grape Ape Show" on DVD, let's hope that they can seek out the following visuals to the show as it was seen on ABC:

*Original intro (show is identified as THE TOM & JERRY/GRAPE APE SHOW)
*Segment 1/3 (T&J)
*Segment 1/2 (GA)
*Segment 2/3 (T&J)
*Segment 2/2 (GA)
*Segment 3/3 (T&J)
*Closing outro (with 1974 H-B Rainbow and 1973 MGM TV logos)

Original lyrics (these were changed slightly in 1976 when "Mumbly" joined the lineup, parenthesised words used in 1976-77 season):
Set your dial for a while
Have a laugh, wear a smile
The Tom & Jerry/Grape Ape Show! (and Mumbly too)
You'll begin with a grin
When you first tune us in
The Tom & Jerry/Grape Ape Show! (and Mumbly too)

Spoken:
Introducing that famous cat and mouse... TOM & JERRY!
And there it is... it's THE GREAT GRAPE APE! (Grape Ape: "I am, I am, GRAPE APE, GRAPE APE!")
And introducing, that super-duper detective... LT. MUMBLY! (Mumbly laughs) (this last line used in the 1976-77 season)

(Instrumental solo)

Lots of zing, lots to sing
Everything's gonna swing
So get ready, here we go! (Beegle Beagle: "HERE WE GO!")
Big or small, short or tall
You will all have a ball
On The Tom & Jerry/Grape Ape Show! (and Mumbly too)

For the 1976-77 season, the show added "Mumbly" to the lineup ("Grape Ape" would leave the lineup starting December 4, 1976). The lyrics were no different except for the spoken line "... and Mumbly too" dubbed in to identify Mumbly as the newest star character.

As many of you would expect by now, after 1977, the three cartoons were repackaged for syndication under these titles:
TOM & JERRY - THE TOM & JERRY SHOW
GRAPE APE - THE GREAT GRAPE APE SHOW
MUMBLY - THE MUMBLY CARTOON SHOW

Although both T&J and Mumbly would bear the same melody (with revised lyrics, of course) in their respective half-hour incarnations, Grape Ape's segment had an entirely different melody (which would be heard in the episode of "The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo" about some platypus) and lyrics for his half-hour version.

I would be much happier if the Warners would release the series with Mumbly as well (it is not complete without him, even though the block originally began w/o him).

~Ben (ClassicTVFan1981)

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Ah, yes, the old problem of just how to release a show that played in so many different formats, and include everything without repeating certain segments over and over.

Of course, I seriously doubt this show is a high priority for WB to release, among Hanna-Barbera properties which have yet to come out on DVD. I would also think the Gene Dietch and Chuck Jones Tom & Jerry cartoons are in line ahead of this. (But what do I know? Who would have thought "Wacky Races" and its spinoffs would have come out before "Huckleberry Hound?")

My own preference would be to release the full shows in their original formats to whatever extent is possible...I am gonna assume they aren't archived that way, though. As far as the correct opening and closing titles, that would depend on first, the footage still existing; second, it being located; third, it being in usable condition; and fourth, WB having some record of what order everything originally went in.

The biggest problem with reassembling all this, I think, is that originally, the "Tom & Jerry" parts of the show were owned by a separate entity (M-G-M) with everything else belonging to Hanna-Barbera. Of course, the ownership is all under one roof now, but that's just one more opportunity for old original title footage to get lost somewhere down the line. (I have no idea if that's what happened, but it wouldn't surprise me...as far as I know, the original openings and closings have not been shown on Boomerang, right?)

If I was doing it (and I had access to all the various elements and a record of what the correct original sequence was), the way I'd approach it would be to reconstruct the original full shows to whatever extent possible, using the original openings and closings...then, depending on what was left over, add the syndicated "Tom & Jerry Show" opening and closing, and the individual "Grape Ape" and "Mumbly" openings and closings as extras. The other variations of the "Tom & Jerry/Grape Ape/Mumbly" and "Tom & Jerry/Mumbly" titles too, if (a) they exist and (b) they haven't already been used on the reassembled shows themselves.

But first they'd have to be thinking about a DVD release in the first place...and again, I don't think that's going to happen until WB has used up all the theatrical T&J cartoons, if then.

ClassicTVFan1981

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Benjamin Edge

To add to your quotes:

*The All-New Popeye Hour (1978-82): Popeye itself is owned by King Features Syndicate, with Dinky Dog under ownership of H-B itself.
*Godzilla Power Hour (1978-79): Godzilla is owned by Toho Co. Ltd., with Jana of the Jungle under H-B ownership.
*The Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo Show (1980-82): Richie Rich is owned by Harvey Comics, while H-B of course owns the rights to everything Scooby-Doo. This show is expected, however, to see a DVD release around this summer.

~Ben

Aaron Handy III

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Handy III
Well, looks like that won't be too much of a worry anymore, what with the premiere of The Tom & Jerry/Grape Ape Show being part of Saturday Morning Cartoons - 1970s Volume 2!

EHENRY

Auditioning
Real Name
ELSTON
This show was one of my favorite Saturday Morning shows! Please release this great show in it's original format. Please! Please! I'll pay any price!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks