What's new

The Time Machine (1960) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I was ten years old when I saw The Time Machine at my local bijou, and I can tell you in my eyes it was thrilling, dazzling, one-of-a-kind. The special effects were startling for their era (the time lapse stuff and the changing mannequin through the decades), and those Morlocks scared me to death. I saw it several times before it left my local cinema.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I was probably 12 or 13, and it was at a summertime kids matinee, but I never forgot how blown away I was by it. Looking at it now, via DVD a couple of years ago, I was amazed again at what a beautiful, thoroughly satisfying film it is. (I remember telling someone, "every shot, just beautiful!")

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Was born two and a half decades after it's release, but my parents owned it on LaserDisc, and has been watching this film since I was about 4. It took me a few years to get all the way through it because the morlocks scared me to death. I've been afraid of the dark ever since!

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Brad here. OK did our pre-order using your link Ron. The order is now in our "Save for Later" queue in Amazon. I'll be moving it to the main Cart next week for purchase with the next Amazon batch (after this one for the wife which has Somewhere In Time.

I'm one of the folks who actually saw the 2002 remake first (on DVD) so I was able to judge that film (which I very much liked) on its own merits rather than a comparison to the 1960 film. Later I caught the 1960 Time Machine on a classic channel (TCM I think). Looked good but I"m really looking forward to this blu-ray now.

Do wish they would do a double-feature blu-ray with both versions as the 2002 remake has not been released on blu yet. The score on the 2002 remake is something to behold.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hey Brad! Thanks for using the link.

I am really looking forward to this Blu-ray.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I would not want the remake included for this release, God that film is terrible. The Time Machine is one of my all time favorites and is generally considered a major sci fi fantasy classic...
I dont even want to mention it in the same breath as the remake (phew!!!) :)

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
David Steigman said:
I would not want the remake included for this release, God that film is terrible. The Time Machine is one of my all time favorites and is generally considered a major sci fi fantasy classic...
I dont even want to mention it in the same breath as the remake (phew!!!) :)
Brad here. Well Dave, sorry you don't like the remake. But that is your opinion and I respect your right to it. I will say that seeing the remake first made my first viewing of the 1960 film that much more enjoyable. My wife absolutely loves the remake but she really hasn't see the original yet. I'll rectify that soon.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
I have to agree with David here. The key point is that those of us who don't like the remake - and I certainly can't stand it - shouldn't be forced into buying it as part of some double feature. If the remake is to be released on blu, it should be released separately, as it shares very little in terms of storyline or atmosphere with the 1960 version, and even less so with the original book.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I don't think there was ever a chance of the remake being put together with the original because I believe the remake is owned by a different company. As for the remake itself, I'm sort of fond of it in certain respects. I'd pick it up on blu if it ever comes. I don't think it's the travesty some reviews made it out to be, it's just an overall mediocre film but with quite a few interesting ideas and themes that actually makes it worth watching every once in a while.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Tommy R said:
I don't think there was ever a chance of the remake being put together with the original because I believe the remake is owned by a different company. As for the remake itself, I'm sort of fond of it in certain respects. I'd pick it up on blu if it ever comes. I don't think it's the travesty some reviews made it out to be, it's just an overall mediocre film but with quite a few interesting ideas and themes that actually makes it worth watching every once in a while.
Considering Hollywood's track record for the suckitude of remakes, I can understand Dave's opinion. In the case of The Time Machine movies I might differ but like I said I saw the remake first before I saw the original. And if the movies were made by different companies, it would take a high level of cooperation between the two to offer a 2 for one blu package (1960 version-MGM, 2002 version-Dreamworks).
I'd still like to see it offered as a dual package though both films should be offered separately (on blu) as well for those who so desire.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Seriously, if they were to offer a remake, they might include the 1978 version. It wasn't very good, but it's got Priscilla Barnes as Weena, so all is not lost.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Ethan Riley said:
Seriously, if they were to offer a remake, they might include the 1978 version. It wasn't very good, but it's got Priscilla Barnes as Weena, so all is not lost.
It's also from Sunn Classic Pictures (yes, the Noah's Ark people), back when they were trying to break into 70's TV pilots. Definitely in the "Nothing to see here" column, but at least we don't have PC Na'vi Eloi, and wasn't personally mangled by HG's relatives. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks