What's new

The Time Machine (1960) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
Nelson Au said:
If I sounded negative about the blu ray above, it wasn't meant to be. I think I was just saying the DVD was that good at the time. Just before George decides to stop traveling forward in time to see Weena's time, it's cool to see the detail of the matte painting of the large structure where George finds the dining area as it's being built, then decay from time.The opening title shots are definitely nice and solid black. The fade in to the street where Filby leaves his store has greater detail, from the cobblestone street to the signs on the buildings. I want to re-play that part and have a better look at the wide shot of the street and George's house with the matte painting behind it.

The wide shot you describe is made up of two locations.You can see the seam running down the curb. Filby's store was shot on 'Copperfield Street' on MGM's Lot 2. I have been unable to figure out where George's house was shot although I recognized it in MGM's "Athena".

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Watched this last night on a double with Timecop (um... WHAT?!). Thought The Machine looked beautiful, soft in places but in a filmic way. The soundtrack was superb also... some great moments and the bass was awesome, especially during the atomic blast.Timecop on the other hand looked supremely digital with an underwhelming sound mix.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I love the film it's my 2nd favorite movie of all time, but will throw a bit of salt into this new release here while I haven't seen it I have seen the screen grabs on dvdbeaver, and don't really like what I see. Especially the shot of the Morlocks, that faked cyan smeared all over the construction in the background this is so typical for Warner to basically colorize their old color movies. I find it quite pathetic and don't see the point, probably trying to lure in new audiences but it's betraying the history of the classics (Dirty Harry, Dark of the Sun, etc.) and I will not support it I'll remain happy with the old DVD. I could point to the terrible BD cover as well, but that's really only half as important to mention.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-ray_reviews_62_/the_time_machine_blu-ray.htm

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Unfortunately haven't had the chance to sit down and watch the whole film at leisure, but I did watch a few random scenes when I first got the blu in the mail. I agree that it looks VERY nice. Definitely better than the DVD, but I'll agree with Nelson that the leap in quality seemed bigger when the DVD first came out. But I love what I see on the blu so far and can't wait to make time to sit and watch the whole thing.

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Saw it earlier. Looks pretty good for a 1960 low budget sci-fi but all-time classic movie :)

The worse aspect was how badly the joins between the matte paintings appeared in HD I would have prefered them to spend a little money on the few matte shots & either rescan & recomposite those or fix digitally only if they could use the original paintings to make it seem the same but without the massive gate weave & ugly matte join lines. Apart from that its a very good transfer unlikely to ever look better without a full restoration it will never get.

If your a fan of this classic movie then you simply MUST watch the included documentary The Journey Back from start to finish as it contains a filmed in 1992 scene or 2 with the original actors ;)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
(edit: removing my own post, I didn't mean for it to seem argumentative but am afraid it might have come across that way)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks