1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Three Stooges Ultimate Collection, March 27

Discussion in 'DVD' started by David Deeb, May 31, 2012.

1. Steve...O

Steve...O Well-Known Member

Steve
    Agree with you. The only thing I didn't like about these releases were the lack of English Subtitles. There were CC but those are worthless to me b/c of the HDMI issue you mentioned. Hopefully if/when Sony does the Stooges collection in BD they'll rectify this and subtitle all the discs.

Still hoping that the bonus disc gets a separate release but kudos to Columbia on keeping the price on the complete set so affordable - $45 is a steal.

2. rmw650

rmw650 Well-Known Member

Richard W
    I agree but as of this writing now, the sale has ended at Best Buy for the set at 45 bucks but I believe still on sale at Amazon.com for that price. No way I'm paying 45 bucks for just the individual set, no matter how rare they are...just out of my price range for the individual set but the whole set is a great bargain at 45 bucks.

3. Todd Mattraw

Todd Mattraw Active Member

Todd
    I took a close look at the sale tag last night at Best Buy, and it says (in the fine print) that the sale price is good through June 30, so if that's accurate, then there's more time for those on the fence (like myself) to make that final decision and/or for Sony to decide to release the bonus discs separately. I know I would have bought the whole set yesterday if there had been a box that wasn't dinged up, but given that I have the original 8 volumes already, I at least want a pristine box if I'm going to buy them all over again and go through the process of selling the sealed sets. Now I'll have time to scout the other 2 Best Buy locations in my area and hope for a set that's in acceptable shape --- ah, the pain of the collector's OCD.
    Todd

4. Essanay Paul

Essanay Paul Well-Known Member

Paul
    I was lucky, my Best Buy had pristine sets. Maybe your store's box of DVD sets got dropped in shipment.
    I notice that Amazon has dropped their price to $44.95 also. Since the solo Treasures set of the same price got removed from Amazon, maybe this is their answer.
    I also noticed that the other solo sets are no longer being sold by Amazon, but by their partners. This could be an indication that Sony has discontinued the individual sets.

5. rmw650

rmw650 Well-Known Member

Richard W
    Smart move at your end Todd, but wasn't aware this "sale" was going on until month's end, but I guess one finds that out in due time at the register when it rings up one price or another, but Amazon price-matched because nobody was going to be crazy enough to pay 90 bucks for this set when Best Buy has it for half that and Amazon caught wind of this. Hence why I think they lowered it to 45 themselves.

6. Essanay Paul

Paul
    Blooper Alert:
    On Disc #2 "Starring Shemp"
    12:45 into the short PICK A PECK OF PLUMBERS as water crashes down from the ceiling onto some women playing cards, watch the bottom left corner of the screen as a stage hand jumps up into the camera's view for several frames. He must have gotten wet from the splash!

7. David Deeb

David Deeb Well-Known Member

David Deeb
    I want the Rare Treasures set. Can Sony simply not be bothered to tell us when the "Rare Treasures" set will be on sale by itself?

8. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    I thought they said they weren't going to release it separate? the ones on Amazon look like 3rd party sellers, so probably broken up sets? No idea.

9. rmw650

rmw650 Well-Known Member

Richard W
    Russell, you are correct in what you say...those selling them are taking them out from the major box sets and are being sold as individual sets through third party marketplace sellers on Amazon and elsewhere. Sony stated through their reps last week that it won't be released as a separate entity.

10. TravisR

TravisR Well-Known Member

My guess would be the fall since that'll give them time to sell some complete sets and still cash-in on the holidays too. Either way, I plan on waiting them out. :)

11. David Deeb

David Deeb Well-Known Member

David Deeb
    Fall's probably a good guess. I'll just keep waiting it out too. And Sony will needlessly warehouse more copies than they have to, while the majority of Stooge fans wait for this eventual release.

12. rmw650

rmw650 Well-Known Member

Richard W
    For those of you who have access to Antenna TV in your area and haven't gotten the Rare Treasures set...just found out Rockin in the Rockies will be airing twice on that station and since I'm in the Central Time Zone, I'll post this in those times and you can then figure out when it airs in your area timewise...it will air on 6/25/2012 at 6-8 AM CT and again on 6/30/2012 at 4-6 AM CT...the Outlaws is Coming airs right after the first flick on 6/25/2012 from 8-10 AM CT and then again on 7/1/2012 from 4-6 AM CT...hope that helps.

13. Steve Satch

Steve Satch Well-Known Member

I got my ultimate collection for the 190 shorts. I could probably sell my Rare Treasures disc to someone here for a fair price if anyone wants it. I don't see myself really watching it more than once anyway. Send me a PM.
    Thanks,
    Steve

14. Essanay Paul

Paul
    To my surprise i am enjoying the Joe Besser shorts much more than the Shemp shorts. Shemp's solo character is just too obnoxious and annoying for me to enjoy most of the time. Shemp is enjoyable when he is toned down. The story lines of the Shemp shorts are also very repetitious, they feel like remakes of each other when they are not.
    Joe Besser shows that he could have been a good third stooge! It was just the poor scripts used at the tail run of their contract with Columbia that makes them bad.
    The Joe De Rita shorts are a mixed bag, i enjoy the musical one the best yet Joe as little to do in it. Joe is also not bad clowning around in the kitchen, but oh that "Dennis The Menace" kid (I had to fast forward through that one)! I wonder if Hank Ketcham saw this kid when creating his Dennis the Menace character.

15. gunthertoody

gunthertoody Well-Known Member

Me too. Besser carries the shorts all by himself and he is hilarious. Shemp is Shemp, and still funny, but much better as part of the Stooges.

16. rmw650

rmw650 Well-Known Member

Richard W
    He was outstanding in the A&C TV Show as Stinky which got him noticed for the Stooges and love the A&C TV Shows...classics.

Tony Bensley likes this.
  17. rmw650

rmw650 Well-Known Member

Richard W
    Sent you a PM

18. Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
    Someone is once again selling the Rare Treasures DVD on Amazon, but the asking price is $32.99. For $12 more you can buy the entire Ultimate Collection, so it really makes no sense to pay that much of a premium for the Rare Treasures. Buy the Ultimate Collection and sell the rest (or give them away as gifts).

19. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    Insane.

Me, I'm perfectly happy with the $48.20 I got from Amazon for the eight sealed volumes. Took all the pain of indecision away, and now I've got my complete mint set.

20. rmw650

rmw650 Well-Known Member

Richard W
    Absoultely ridiculous to pay that kind of money for the Rare Treasures DVD when for 12 bucks more, you get the whole set as long as it stays at the 45 dollar price range and last I checked, both Best Buy and Amazon have it at that pricetag. Unless that separate volume is 10-13 bucks, fine but anything above it, I'll pass and wait.

Tony Bensley likes this.