What's new

The Thing remastered dvd: any reviews? (1 Viewer)

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
There is no insert, period. Nobody got one. Either there was one planned at one point, and the designer never got wind that there wasn't going to be an insert anymore, or they put it there so you could stick in the booklet from the original edition (if you already had it).

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
That is if you take it as anything but the sarcastic "de-empowering" remark it was intended to be IMO.

Scotty_McW

Second Unit

The first time I saw it was the tv version, and I really liked it. I think I was maybe 12 at the time, though. I saw it that way so many times, that I never saw the theatrical cut until I got the original dvd three years ago.

I got the new dvd on Friday and the image is fantastic!

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez

I guess you're right; I just didn't see any disrespectful behavior by the others that would warrant that kind of sarcasm. While the group snipped at each others heels - certainly a factor of their confined surroundings - I thought they treated each other rather civilly - until the arrival of The Thing, of course...

Cheers,

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
You can interpret the line many ways, to him (after months & months of being up there) it was just another white guy ordering a black guy around or it was just his way of getting on peoples nerves to relieve the boredom or it was just a sarcastic joke that all of them threw at each other from time to time to...relieve the boredom.
However to me, if you look at his character as the smart ass that he was, you can see how some "white guy" yelling at him to turn his music down would definitely get a wise crack like that.

Edit for crap spelling

StephenP

Stunt Coordinator
My guess on the booklet flap is that it was cheaper to use a folding machine that was already set up to do a previous title, so they just printed different cardboard stock and stuck it in the same old machine with no intention of ever having a booklet. I feel this is a title that deserves a booklet though, sadly.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
Picked up a copy yesterday... Is there supposed to be a booklet inside the case in that built-in sleeve? Mine had none.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy

It does not have a booklet. This has been addressed in this thread several times.

MattGentry

Second Unit
Seeing as how the new release

DOES NOT HAVE A BOOKLET...

I just put the booklet I had from the original release in there. Works for me.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Need some recommendation. What are Carpenter’s absolute classics not to miss? I have the Thing and his other love story/sci-fi movie (don’t remember the title). So what are his other classics?

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Here's how I'd rank his films:

Halloween
The Thing
The Fog
Escape from New York
Big Trouble in Little China
Christine
Assault on Precinct 13
Starman
In the Mouth of Madness
They Live
Dark Star
Vampires
Prince of Darkness
Ghosts of Mars
Memoirs of an Invisible Man
Village of the Damned
Escape from L.A.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Maybe later when I attended Hogwarts I will take a look at that booklet but for the moment I stick to recommendations. :D I don’t want a list of his movies, but his not to miss movies.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Not to miss:

HALLOWEEN - Simply put, Carpenter's best, IMO.

THE THING - Great FX without a hint of CG!

PRINCE OF DARKNESS - Very moody, great music, and a premise that can get lost along the way.

THE FOG - Why remake a movie this well done? Carpenter's Ex in a nice sweater and one killer final shot.

BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA - Jack Burton! 'Nuff said!

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Sam, did you do a search first? Please?

A 'cult' director such as Carpenter I'm sure will have many threads dedicated to him that are more appropriate places for discussing his best/entire oeuvre than a thread ostensibly about the quality of the DVD re-release of one of his films.

Thanks.

-p

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks