What's new

"The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Part 2" 20th Ann. SE DVD Coming Fall '06 From MGM/Sony (1 Viewer)

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I'll be picking this one up, too. TCM 2 is highly underrated, in my opinion. While I don't like it more than the original, it's a very worthy sequel, and one of the better horror sequels of all time along with Nightmare on Elm Street 3 and Halloween 4.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

He wasn't going to "goof on" the movie, he's a big fan of it. That's why he wanted to do a commentary in the first place, to talk about a movie he loves.

Vincent

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
No problem.

The idea was for Kevin to do the track with either Tobe or Kit Carson, with Kevin likely acting as a sort-of moderator like he did on the DONNIE DARKO Director's Cut, and offering his own insights into why he likes the film so much, too. Unfortunately, both he and Tobe's schedules were insane (Tobe due to shooting his 2nd season MASTERS OF HORROR episode, Kevin due to the release and promotion of CLERKS II), so their schedules never did match up.

I'm still hoping Kevin might be able to contribute something to the release, possibly liner notes. I think TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE 2 is an unjustly maligned film that deserves to be re-evalutated, and having it out there that it has some well-known fans who appreciate the film NOT as a goof, but seriously dig it, can only help.

Vincent

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor

I concur. I used to not like TCM 2 because it seemed to stray from the horror and suspense of the original in an effort to go for the comedic gross-out route. I didn't like that Leatherface had a crush on Caroline Williams' "Stretch" character. That seemed out of character for Leatherface. I also thought that the family's lair in the underground caverns under the abandoned amusement park was vastly inferior to the farmhouse and surrounding land in the 1974 original. But now, many years later, I appreciate TCM 2 and enjoy the very fun ride that it offers. It's nowhere near as great as the original, IMHO, but it's definitely the superior sequel because I absolutely hate parts 3 and 4. They're mildly entertaining, but good films they definitely aren't. The 2003 remake was very good I thought, but again, nowhere near the quality of the 1974 original. One of the things that I really love about part 2 is the return of Jim Siedow. From his warning about those "hard-shelled peppercorns" to "You have one choice, boy: sex or the saw. Sex is, well, nobody knows. But the saw, the saw is family." Jim really played the part well. Bill Moseley's Chop Top was the perfect candidate to succeed Edwin Neal's Hitchhiker. When I was very young, I thought it was the same guy. And boy, does the film have a whacky soundtrack. :)

It's a shame that Kevin didn't get to record commentary. (I love Mallrats.) I was very interested in hearing his thoughts on the film.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Yeah, the title font is obviously meant to tie this in with the Remake series. I wish they'd just use the old poster with the family on it for the cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks