What's new

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) Blu-ray Disc 9/30 (1 Viewer)

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Thx for the posts Jessie n Scott. I just pre-ordered this along with Iron Man earlier today. :D

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I'll be watching this version next year. It just looks too good. Nice job all around. I wish I could spend the money on a BD player now and go ahead...but I can't. :frowning:

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor
I found the BD of Chain Saw today at Hastings for $13.99. One word: Awesome! If you think the 2006 DVD looks outstanding (and it does), you're really going to be in for a surprise. The level of clarity and detail is amazing - compare the "We Slaughter" sign on the gas station from the 2006 DVD to the BD. A world of difference. Overall, an absolutely gorgeous video presentation.

The Teri McMinn interview runs about 17 minutes and is a very nice addition to an already overflowing bundle of extras.

Very well done, Don May and Dark Sky Films

Don May Jr

Stunt Coordinator
Scott Temple said:
I found the BD of Chain Saw today at Hastings for $13.99. One word: Awesome! If you think the 2006 DVD looks outstanding (and it does), you're really going to be in for a surprise. The level of clarity and detail is amazing - compare the "We Slaughter" sign on the gas station from the 2006 DVD to the BD. A world of difference. Overall, an absolutely gorgeous video presentation.
The Teri McMinn interview runs about 17 minutes and is a very nice addition to an already overflowing bundle of extras.
Very well done, Don May and Dark Sky Films
Thanks for the kind words! I am extremely proud of the BD release of THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE and I was impressed with how close the encode looks to the original HD master tapes I created. Definitely the best EVER presentation of the movie.
This is, really, the culmination of almost 14 years of work on the film for me and I am excited that people can finally see it in HD the way Tobe originally envisioned it.

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
I got mine and I think the transfer is amazing. I can clearly see an improvement in picture quality. As much as I've loved watching this movie many times in my life (never saw it in theaters though). I waited for the anamorphic transfer to SD DVD before buying it which I bought. Now owning and viewing it on Blu-Ray though was my most enjoyable viewing of it so far. 5 Stars from me for this transfer. Excellent work. :D

Real Name
Christopher D. Jacobson
Is there any definite word on whether the missing sound effects problem was fixed for the BD release? The video is looking promising so I definitely want to get this, but I'd really like to know ahead of time about the mono and 2.0/5.1 audio issues.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
2014 update: New 4K restoration with 7.1 sound is ready, supervised by Mr. Hooper himself:"Working with the color grading, working with the 7.1 sound mix, working with very good people. It was the work a director should do to keep his film preserved."( http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/03/06/sxsw-texas-chain-saw-massacre-tobe-hooper/?hpt=hp_t3 ) Great news! Although I'm pretty sure that we have a good old "Mono vs new mix" debate starting very shortly. 1, 2, 3, 4 .... ;)(Blu-ray version of this new restoration has NOT been announced. But I'm pretty sure that it's coming at some point.)

hanshotfirst1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
I really hope this goes wider and hits my neck of the woods. Would 4K be overkill for a movie shot on grainy 16mm? I do have a minor worry that it'll lose that raggedy feel if the "remaster" is TOO good. And hopefully Hooper hasn't gone all Cameron on the colors. That aside, it's all academic, because this isn't coming to my neck of the woods :(! Fingers crossed that it'll go wider :(!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks