What's new

The Terror, Dementia 13, The Stranger & Poor Pretty Eddie Coming To DVD (Blu-Ray/DVD Combo) (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
All public domain titles which does not bode well. Any word whether [COLOR= #a52a2a]The Terror[/COLOR] will be in its proper 2.35 ratio?

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
IMDB says it's a 1.85:1 flick. Regardless, I emailed someone at the company asking them if all these films will be in their correct aspect ratio. Let's see if anyone responds.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Who knows that the print quality will be on these?

Can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear! :)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I will definitely want to see some reviews before I even think of ordering any of these.

EDIT: Already reviews up for the Stranger, and as expected the quality falls below that of DVDs already on the market.

Dirk06

Grip
Real Name
Jeff
I will be waiting for reviews as well. Though I'm not getting my hopes up, it would be nice if I could upgrade my copy of Dementia 13.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Still no reviews up on DVD Beaver, DVD Savant and DVD Talk. A UK satellite channel has been showing The Terror a few times recently. Of what I watched, the print quality was very soft with a green/yellow colour over the picture.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Review is positive. Shall be interesting to see what they think of Dementia 13, The Stranger and Poor Pretty Eddie.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Is DVD Drive-In pretty reliable? The Terror sounds good.

The Blu-ray.com review says there has never been a good release, or even good source material, for Dementia 13. They don't mention the Roan laserdisc, but I'm curious to take that out and see what it looks like now. It's been years.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
http://monsterkidclassichorrorforum.yuku.com/topic/35556/PD-movies-coming--blu-ray-incl--TERROR--STRANGER-DEMENTIA-13?page=4 Scroll down to see caps I made from MGM HD's broadcast of THE TERROR compared to blu-ray.com's bd caps.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Yikes. For some reason, I thought I recalled a good image on that Roan laserdisc. Was I ever wrong. (In fact, I'm pretty sure now that I was thinking of some other movie entirely.) The image is just as poor as what the review stated every transfer has been. I spot checked through the chapter stops and I think I'd get used to it after a while, sufficient to settling down and enjoying the movie, but it is shockingly low grade.

Also, for what it's worth, the LD jacket says "widescreen" -- and it is indeed letterboxed, but just barely. It didn't even look to be as great as 1.66:1 to my eyes last night. Of course those eyes were by then viewing things through a couple of martinis, so who knows.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
Originally Posted by Chas in CT
Also, for what it's worth, the LD jacket says "widescreen" -- and it is indeed letterboxed, but just barely. It didn't even look to be as great as 1.66:1 to my eyes last night. Of course those eyes were by then viewing things through a couple of martinis, so who knows.

Yeah, they took a standard 4x3 master and took a sliver off the top and bottom. In fact the masking was unseen on my old CRT due to overscan. There is a commentary by William Campbell, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks