What's new

The Ten Commandments on Blu-ray: A Preview of Special Features (1 Viewer)

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
On January 19, 2011, Paramount Pictures hosted a screening of the final cut of the new documentary The Ten Commandments: Making Miracles. This 75 minute documentary will be included on the Blu-ray and DVD releases of The Ten Commandments on March 29, 2011.

The Home Theater Forum was among the few media outlets invited to this private screening on the studio lot, which was held primarily for the producers and participants of the documentary. Surviving cast members Lisa Mitchell (Jethro's daughter Lulua) and Fraser Clarke Heston (Baby Moses) were also in attendance at this screening, and both provided new interviews for the documentary.

The Ten Commandments: Making Miracles is an interesting and entertaining documentary of DeMille's efforts in making this film, in Hollywood and on location in Egypt. It includes a wealth of archival footage of the participants and interview footage of the actors that has been included in some previous collections.

Although I have seen The Ten Commandments before, I had not realized that baby Moses was played by Charlton Heston's then infant son, or that actor Henry Wilcoxon (Pentaur) contributed so much behind the scenes as a producer with DeMille. I actually remember Wilcoxon better for his role as the Bishop in Caddyshack and did not know the extent of his history in film, nor remember his role in this film.

The Ten Commandments: Making Miracles also includes many film clips from the new HD version of the film. If these portions of film are anything to judge the Blu-ray by, then we are in for a real treat when the full film is released on March 29, 2011. Most of the footage from the film included in the documentary looks as though it was filmed recently with HD equipment. The animation in the special effects sequences does not have the slickness of CGI but still stands up well in high definition. This documentary has definitely increased my anticipation of seeing the full film restored on Blu-ray.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, Henry Wilcoxon was long associated with CB going back to Cleopatra and The Crusades. Both are on DVD. I can't wait to buy this release for my birthday.

Where did the screening take place?

Crawdaddy

I read somewhere online a blog from someone who attended a screening of the restored print in Hollywood last fall. She said that one of the Paramount executives showed a whip used in the original production (for foley) and that it was used again to recreate a sound effect from the decaying audio track.

Eerik

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eerik Paal
Has it been confirmed if the 1923 feature is in native 1080p and not 480p or upscaled?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Quote:

Originally Posted by Timothy E

Most of the footage from the film included in the documentary looks as though it was filmed recently with HD equipment. The animation in the special effects sequences does not have the slickness of CGI but still stands up well in high definition. This documentary has definitely increased my anticipation of seeing the full film restored on Blu-ray.

None of the 1956 footage should look, in any way, as if had been recently filmed in HD. It should look like a 1956 VistaVision print,

with proper grain structure, and an image that has slightly lower contrast than modern films.

RAH

If this looks like the last ABC broadcast, which I'm sure it will because that was from a new print, it will be spectacular. As soon as it was over, I was anticipating the blu-ray!

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
Yeah, Henry Wilcoxon was long associated with CB going back to Cleopatra and The Crusades. Both are on DVD. I can't wait to buy this release for my birthday.

Where did the screening take place?

Crawdaddy

The screening occurred in the Sherry Lansing Theater on the Paramount Studios lot in Hollywood.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks