What's new

The Ten Commandments Blu-Ray (Two-Disc Special Edition) - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED (1 Viewer)

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Neil Middlemiss

Why would you think there is a 3 disc set? Did someone mention one in this thread? AFAIK there is only the 2 disc and the box.

Johnny is basing that on a line from my review. The press release I received was a little confusing as it did not label the gift set contents, but rather a 3-disc blu ray and a 3-disc DVD (the giftset is six discs). I will update my review to reflect this clarification. (will have to wait until I am using something other than my iPad)

Needless to say, the gift set is really quite something!!![/QUOTE]

Ok I see now. There's been some controversy regarding there not being a 3-disc set so I was confused. If Paramount is reading this, I'm not buying that beast of a box but if they released the 1923 version by itself I would pick it up in a heartbeat.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Ok, I got the box set and have just spent the last five hours going through it and I am glad I got the box set. I'm not sure that anyone cannot agree with Neil's assessment of the video and sound. They are excellent. Over the years, I have purchased VHS, Laserdisc, DVD and now the Blu-ray. I think I am done for I do not think this film can look or sound any better than it is now no matter what the future may hold. The Box set not only included the 1923 version in HD, but had a 75+ minute documentary that was fantastic. The swag in the box was also interesting and in the long run it was worth the cost to me.

The Documentary had a couple of clips of Samson and Delilah included and those scenes look very good. I almost seem to think that Paramount has already worked on the title, so:

Dear Paramount:

Please release not only Samson and Delilah in Blu-ray, but also The Buccaneers (both versions) in Blu-ray. These films are seriously missing in home catalog of the works of Cecil B. DeMille. A director/producer who made a lot of money for you in the past and if transferred and marketed right, will do so again. Thank you.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Thanks for the review, Neil. I really do wish they would make a swag-less 3-disc Blu-ray option available, as I would love to see the documentary, but it does look like a pretty great release.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Great review! Congratulations, Neil!

I really want the deluxe box set, but I'm going to show some intestinal fortitude and resist buying it now. In a few months, I fully expect it to show up in the Amazon Gold Box sale of the day at about $35 (at least, that's what I'm hoping for as has happened with Casablanca, The Wizard of Oz, and Gone With The Wind).

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Should have done so a little sooner, but I ordered the box last night at Amazon's $55. (I even remembered to go there through HTF's link!) There's no way I was going to do without the additional disks, and I like me a little swag when it includes program reprints and such. Looking forward more than ever to an evening devoted to really seeing the film, and to more time later to be devoted to the commentary and the 1923 version, etc.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I picked up the big box last night, and it's amazing! Just for all the goodies, it's one of the most impressive gift sets yet I think. I haven't had a chance to watch the movies though, that will be over Easter.

Great review Neil, It has me frothing to sit down with this :)

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I ordered mine through Amazon last night as well. I stupidly assumed that Best Buy or Costco or Fry's would have the big box set in abundance on street date but after making a few calls I discovered that virtually none of the major brick and mortar retailers were stocking it.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by MattH.

Great review! Congratulations, Neil!

I really want the deluxe box set, but I'm going to show some intestinal fortitude and resist buying it now. In a few months, I fully expect it to show up in the Amazon Gold Box sale of the day at about $35 (at least, that's what I'm hoping for as has happened with Casablanca, The Wizard of Oz, and Gone With The Wind).

The last time I bought a boxed set was when Amazon sold the Casablanca set for less than $30, I think. Considering that the the contents were mostly gegaws of no value, and the movie was released soon after in standard packaging, it was still overpriced. I'll wait for a 3 disc set.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Originally Posted by Rob_Ray

I ordered mine through Amazon last night as well. I stupidly assumed that Best Buy or Costco or Fry's would have the big box set in abundance on street date but after making a few calls I discovered that virtually none of the major brick and mortar retailers were stocking it.

So did I. I went first to Costco who would have the best price of any store in my area, but they only had the 2-disc sets. Then on to Best Buy, Target, and Walmart. Only Target had a copy, at $65. That's probably what Costco's price would have been, since I remember paying that for Wizard of Oz there on the first day. But hey, a guy has to try. Of course, just wait till it's time to put it out again a few months down the line, maybe for the holiday shopping season, and it'll be $40 there, same as the big sets for Wizard of Oz, Gone With the Wind, and Sound of Music. But this is now and that is later, and we want it now.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
The HMV in the big mall in Edmonton had a bunch of them stacked up. Probably 20-30, though that the back end cap of a rack so you had to look for them. $59 is a little cheaper then Amazon.ca. At least it was last night when I looked.

There's people from Edmonton here right??

*Crickets*

:P

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Originally Posted by Russell G

The HMV in the big mall in Edmonton had a bunch of them stacked up. Probably 20-30, though that the back end cap of a rack so you had to look for them. $59 is a little cheaper then Amazon.ca. At least it was last night when I looked.

There's people from Edmonton here right??

*Crickets*

:P

Wish I lived in Edmonton. I'm in the backwoods of Southern California where none were to be had. And, yes, like Charles, I want it now, regardless of cost. Being a baby boomer who remembers when films like this one were major filmgoing events, I want all the swag Paramount wants to sell me.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
There's an HMV in Edmonton?? I thought the chain was defunct. Maybe just in the good old USA? Only ones I'd ever visited were a few times in NYC back in the 1990s.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Yeah we have 4 or 5 HMV locations in town still. News travels slow in the Great White North, maybe they don't know they're supposed to be closed...

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Why couldn't they have included the B&W version in the standard edition and make it a three disc edition? I really do not need all of that useless junk that is included in the special edition, plus the size of the package makes it a pain for storing on a shelf. The 60.00 dollar price tag for the SE also makes me pause when it comes to a purchase. I'm not sure I like the film enough to spend 60 bucks on it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I have similar qualms Edwin.

I was pondering getting the 2 disc set. I only have the very first DVD of 10 Commandments, so I thought of getting the 50th Anniversary disc for the 1923 version, but it doesn't have that new Making of feature on this new Gift Set!.

When I look at the gift set, it has everything I was interested in, plus it's a 6 disc set. They include the film and extras on standard DVD. I like having both formats for watching on other systems. So the gift set is a pretty good deal. I am leaning towards going for it. Then I'll get a multidisc BD case to put the discs in and stash the box away.

If one waits, it might be at Costco sometime too!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by eric scott richard

Are the new restoration credits presented after the Exit Music or during?
Right at the beginning of the Exit Music. At first I was a little offended by it, but it is not that intrusive. I still wish the film companies would do as Fox does and show a blank screen when the Overture, Entr'acte and Exit music are presented.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
I just watched the Deluxe 6-disc Box Set last night at a MARATHON viewing session...agree with everything that's been said about this wonderful BD release so far! I'm also planning to give copies of the 2-disc set to some Church friends of mine this Sunday as a kind of offering for Lent...can't think of anything more appropriate to give during this pre-Easter season!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks