What's new

The TAMI show is coming out... BUT-- (1 Viewer)

Kevin Segura

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin Segura
According to this thread over on the Steve Hoffman Forums:

http://stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=96156

The TAMI show, a revue featuring many of the top rock acts of the 1960s, is now being readied for home video release. They've apparently been able to find some 35mm masters to work with, so the source material should be a big improvement over the previous excerpts used in the "That Was Rock" VHS/LD release.

And now, here's the "BUT--"

This show was originally recorded on videotape, and then transferred to film for it's theatrical showings. So, while it's fantastic that they've managed to locate some original quality film elements, the resulting DVD release is essentially going to be of a (high quality) kinescope. And I hope I'm not alone in thinking this would be a shame. With the development of LiveFeed, there's no reason that this has to happen-- especially for what appears to be an otherwise definitive version of this title.

It would be, I think, somewhat untoward for me to say much more about how much the use of LiveFeed would help this project, so I won't... but I would point out that there is now absolutely no reason that the program has to go out looking like a kinescope. I would hope that the Elvis/Ed Sullivan DVDs have effectively raised the bar (and the fan's expectations) beyond that.

If that's the case though, the fans are going to have to let the producers know that. If you feel that this will be a deciding factor in whether or not you purchase this DVD, then you should contact Dick Clark Productions to let them know. Their contact information is available here:

http://www.dickclarkproductions.com/index.html

Should you contact them, please let them know **politely** what your views are...

In any event, thanks for your attention, everyone!

-Kevin

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Then there's the question of whether the Beach Boys footage will be used- apparently they had their segment withdrawn a few years later....

Jeff#

Screenwriter
How is Dick Clark's health these days (if anyone knows)? I haven't seen him on TV in a long time.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Bad link!!!!

Either use the "Globe/chain" icon to paste in the full like or convert it at TinyURL and past the tiny version.

Regards,

Joe

alphanguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
I'm sure I'll pick this up if there's going to be an improvement in picture quality. My only concern is the SOUND. That GOD AWFUL teenage scream track throughout the show jsut totally marred it, It's especially bad on Tina Turner's portion, it's so loud you can't hear what the heck theyr'e singing, was the original film like this? The "That was Rock" release was pretty dismal, but I was thrilled with it at the time, in the 80's it didn't take much to please, did it? I certinaly could have done without all the editorial comments in between performances. Hell, Chuck.... we all know Diana Ross left the Supremes and went on to her own stardom, too bad you couldn't mention that the Supremes had 8 more top 40 hits WITHOUT her.

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit
I cut 'n pasted the message below:

"Here is some recent info on why the TAMI Show DVD has been temporarily been put on the back burner for awhile. Although Dick Clark has the right to release this on DVD, the music publishing companies involved have not OK'd the music published in this DVD. (Licensing fees of course). And this is the same reason why Paul Shaffer's British tribute DVD recorded at B. B. King's nightclub was shelved too. The money raised by this DVD was partially going to go to help pay some of Mike Smith's medical bills."

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
For those who don't know, Mike Smith is the former lead singer of the Dave Clark Five who was paralyzed in an accident a few years back.

Something has got to be done about this whole music licensing issue- it's screwing up releases of TV shows and films on DVD!! This is definitely an issue that should be explored at the government level- perhaps a Congressional hearing.

Kevin Segura

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin Segura
I have to respectfully disagree, Charles. The only reason given in this case is "music licensing". Does this mean that the issuing company expected music rights to be included in the footage licensing fee that they paid to Dick Clark's production company? If so, that's either somewhat naive, or at the very least pretty unrealistic. Does it meant they consider anything over five bucks to be too much to pay for all of the music rights? Did they announce the project before they'd tied down all of the underlying publishing rights, thereby putting themselves in a **very** disadvantageous negotiating position?

As you can see, there are just too many unknowns here to solely lay the blame with the music publishers...

-Kevin

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The TAMI Show really is coming - March 23. Looks to be the full show from what I read:

This legendary film has never been available on DVD and has not been seen in its entirety since it originally appeared in theaters in 1964. Mastered from a new High Definition transfer and UNCUT, this complete version features the Beach Boys performances that were removed following the films initial theatrical run.
http://www.amazon.com/T-M-I-Show-Collectors/dp/B0030ATZIA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1265482843&sr=8-1

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I don't think they mean "high definition" the way we think of it today. That sounds a bit misleading. I'm shocked that this is supposedly coming out. I would never have suspected it. I'm hoping it will do very well and lead to T.N.T. Show, American Bandstand, Solid Gold, Hollywood Palace, etc.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
The total lack of posts since before this excellent release is very surprising to me!

Unfortunately, I don't really have the time to give the T.A.M.I. SHOW (It's the UK Titled "teen-age command performance" that is on the DVD!) a proper review, at the moment!

Suffice it to say that, short of a Blu-ray/4K redux, this is the very best complete edition of THE T.A.M.I. SHOW that we'll likely ever see! In addition to many great/near great performances by some of the biggest names from the 60's Rock N' Roll Era, most of whom were still rising stars at the time this was made, there is some fine informative commentary by T.A.M.I. SHOW Director Steve Binder! In addition, there is a pleasing to the eyes Booklet with generous liner notes (In of itself, a rarity in individual DVD Releases, these days!) included, which provide a welcoming sense of mid 60's nostalgia, even for those of us who were too young (I was just barely 6 months old when these performances were recorded!) to really feel it the first time around!

CHEERS! :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Some T.A.M.I. SHOW ("teen-age command performance") Screenshots:

The DVD Menu:

vlcsnap-2015-09-01-21h07m29s100.png

Dean Torrence & Jan Berry (Jan & Dean), Were the T.A.M.I. SHOW's Emcees:

vlcsnap-2015-09-01-21h08m51s665.png

The Performances Took Place October 28 And 29, 1964. In His Commentary, Director Steve Binder States That Only The 2nd Day's Performances Were Used In The Film:

vlcsnap-2015-09-01-21h09m09s221.png

The UK Titles, Indicating A British Print Was Sourced For The DVD:

vlcsnap-2015-09-01-21h10m21s360.png

During This Lesley Gore Number, A Vaseline Coated Lens Plating Was Used To Achieve A Dreamlike Effect :

vlcsnap-2015-09-01-21h11m23s363.png

From The Long Excised Beach Boys T.A.M.I. SHOW Performances:

vlcsnap-2015-09-01-21h11m38s459.png

Blink, And You'll Miss The One Song ("Hey Little Bird") Performed By Cape Cod Rockers, The Barbarians:

vlcsnap-2015-09-01-21h12m06s481.png

James Brown's Epic T.A.M.I. SHOW Performance:

vlcsnap-2015-09-01-21h12m29s951.png

But The Rolling Stones (Though NOT From Liverpool, Despite The Incorrectly Penned And Sung Lyric In The Opening Theme!) Were Also Great:

vlcsnap-2015-09-01-21h13m26s841.png

Teri Garr At 17, Was Among The T.A.M.I. SHOW's Go-Go Dancers:

vlcsnap-2015-09-01-21h15m14s786.png

The Rolling Stones & The T.A.M.I. SHOW Ensemble Close Out The Show:

vlcsnap-2015-09-01-21h15m40s124.png

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Is Petula Clark in this? Or was that the Big TNT Show (Is that out on DVD?)?

Without the Beach Boys, this one definitely would lose something. Were they asking too much money or something?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
LeoA said:
Is Petula Clark in this? Or was that the Big TNT Show (Is that out on DVD?)?

Without the Beach Boys, this one definitely would lose something. Were they asking too much money or something?
Hi Leo!

Petula Clark appeared on THE BIG TNT SHOW. Yes, this is out on DVD, but is likely OOP, as the price on Amazon is insanely high at present: http://www.amazon.com/DVD-Spoonful-Quartet-Ronettes-McCallum/dp/B00H27ZPDG/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1441164339&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=the+big+tnt+show+dvd

Regarding The Beach Boys' T.A.M.I. SHOW appearance being missing from most prints of the Film for many decades, there's a bit of a long story behind this, but basically, it was Murry Wilson (Father of Brian, Carl & Dennis Wilson, and all around A-Hole! I do not state that lightly, either!) who stipulated that the group's performances be cut from the Film and destroyed after the show's initial Theatrical run. Luckily, not everybody abided by that!

Having freshly viewed a bit of the T.A.M.I. SHOW this evening, I would love for this to be released to Blu-ray, though with 800 lines of resolution used in the original Electronovision Process, I should think there would need to be some upscaling involved?

Tony

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
alphanguy said:
I'm sure I'll pick this up if there's going to be an improvement in picture quality. My only concern is the SOUND. That GOD AWFUL teenage scream track throughout the show jsut totally marred it, It's especially bad on Tina Turner's portion, it's so loud you can't hear what the heck theyr'e singing, was the original film like this? The "That was Rock" release was pretty dismal, but I was thrilled with it at the time, in the 80's it didn't take much to please, did it? I certinaly could have done without all the editorial comments in between performances. Hell, Chuck.... we all know Diana Ross left the Supremes and went on to her own stardom, too bad you couldn't mention that the Supremes had 8 more top 40 hits WITHOUT her.
It appears that alphanguy is no longer active on HTF. I do hope all is well with him!

Anyway, the Tina Turner portion that DOES indeed, sound G*D AWFUL (I can hear my late older step brother complaining about it, still!), was originally a part of THE BIG T.N.T. SHOW, that was included on the Chuck Berry "Hosted" BORN TO ROCK: THE T.A.M.I.-T.N.T. SHOW VHS Tape, which I had purchased in the U.S. about 1989, and for decades was my only source for either show! From what I've seen of BIG T.N.T, it appears to have been shot in the old Academy Ratio, with disappointing audio quality, though presented by American International, who previously presented the now clearly superior (In my opinion!) T.A.M.I. SHOW!

Puzzling, indeed!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Is the TNT DVD an official release? Somehow, I think it is not. I don't recall there being an official release, and I have been following news of these closely. (It's possible I missed it, but unlikely.) It's hardly the final word, but the TNT's Wikipedia page makes no mention of a DVD release, whereas the TAMI Show's page does. Also, I'm a big fan of Little Steven's Underground Garage (undergroundgarage.com), which over the years has dedicated shows to both TAMI and TNT, and again, no mention ever made of TNT on DVD. Both UG shows are essential listening, if you are a fan of the movies.

Also, the TAMI DVD came from our friends at Shout! Factory.

Underground Garage TNT Show special: http://undergroundgarage.com/shows-199-190/show-191-big-tnt-show.html

Underground Garage TAMI Show special: http://undergroundgarage.com/Shows-139-130/show-134-the-tami-show.html

As of 2009, TNT was not on DVD: http://articles.latimes.com/2009/jul/31/entertainment/et-bigpicture31

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks