What's new

The Taking Of Pelham 1-2-3, anamorphic? (2 Viewers)

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Would it kill MGM to go back and remaster this film and release a REAL DVD with at least a brief retrospective, for God's sakes? Or are they in such a deep hole that that might actually bankrupt them?

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
If they're using the term "repackaged," it's an easy bet that it's the exact same DVD with no changes besides a new cover. So unless you like Malibu Stacey's new hat, don't bother with it.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I would be very surprised if the re-release was not anamorphic, at the very least. This is a very good film and it deserves it. Plus, there is bound to be some renewed interest in it with the remake coming out. How can studios still put out non-anamorphic DVDs, especially at this time where most people are buying 16x9 TVs?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
MGM/Fox has several re-releases coming out this summer as "Repackaged" including HAIR. I have always taken "Repackaged" as meaning the same old transfer with new art work. Re-mastered would mean that it would be in anamorphic. I hope my definitions are wrong, for I would be all over an anamorphic PELHAM and HAIR.

If it saves the studio money they will put it out non-anamorphic. Paramount and MGM repackaged some Elvis films a couple of years ago and the ones that were non-anamorphic stayed non-anamorphic. ie CLAMBAKE.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
A little off-topic here but what's the point of coming up with new artwork if it's going to be the same old DVD? I got suckered in by Lionsgate when I bought the new Johnny Handsome DVD thinking it was a new special edition. Lo and behold, it was the same decade-old disc in glorious fullscreen. At least it had scene selections! They were actually marketing it emphasizing the new "O"-Card packaging! Ridiculous.

Real Name
Mike LoMonaco
I have been following the other thread regarding this classic title (Anamorphic?) and realize some of this has been covered and discussed already, but from how I see it, the other thread seemed to dip a bit into the possibility of Pelham One Two Three simply being repackaged with the same transfer, so I wanted to ask more direct questions about the title...please forgive me if it seems redundant.

As the others in the aforementioned thread, I too have a soft spot indeed for the original Pelham. Growing up in New York, these cop/crime dramas have always found a place in my heart -- Nighthawks, Pelham etc. Without getting into another heated discussion regarding the upcoming Scott remake (which I am actually looking forward to), I have been wondering about a re-release of the original film ever since I saw trailers for the remake because as I understand it, the original DVD comes with a non anamorphic/mono presentation...

Is there a REMASTERED version of this title due from MGM at all to coincide with the remake? I know MGM has done a good job with these tie-ins in the past, such as with the original Amityville Horror Collection, so I was looking forward to a "good" version of Pelham before I cave and buy the out of print original now...

Further, is there any information on whether or not this is planned for a Blu-ray release?

Thank You, Forum!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Jay Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
FWIW, an HD scope version of this title just appeared in the Comcast On Demand Free Movies section under the IMPACT grouping (Hi Impact.)

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
If MGM does re-issue PELHAM, they ought to see if they have the rights to the making-of documentary that was made during the production and should include it if they do.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This is one of my classic favorites. I have the DVD, and it has been
so long since I last saw it, I didn't even know it wasn't anamorphic.

Basically, if the studio was going to cash in on a remastered release
of the original "Pelham" then most likely they would have already
announced it to coincide with the new theatrical release rather than wait
for the new film to be released on DVD/BD (thus confusing everyone with
two different versions). Did I kind of make that clear?

I am going to be out at Fox in two weeks and I'll bring up the issue
of Pelham, not that I think it's going to make much of a difference if
it wasn't already planned.

Real Name
Mike LoMonaco

Thanks, 'Daddy.

What Ronald said made sense I suppose, regarding the wait for a re-release with the remake on the way, etc. but I've seen last-minute releases of remastered titles just before a theatrical launch of a remake. It would definitely be cool to get Pelham on Blu-ray though!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Mike,

The new film is released next week.

There has been no announcement by MGM about the original.

This sort of tells me that the studio missed the window of opportunity.
There is a slight chance chance MGM could wait until the theatrical
comes to DVD/BD at year's end, but generally it's not done that way.

It's anybody's guess but I am not optimistic. It's very strange that
MGM did not capitalize on this advantage they had before them.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
It's also possible that they'll wait a number of weeks for any re-release. That way, people have seen the title in ads, on marquees, etc. Then they see the re-release of the 74 title in stores and grab it on impulse.

As Ronald said, it's anybody's guess at this point.

Harry

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

A shame, too. For the only possible positive thing to be said for the existence of this new SECOND remake would have been to at least get a great DVD/BD of the original.

As you've said, it's not generally done but perhaps they'll prepare it when this new version goes to disc.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
MGM pulled a stunt with "Invasion of the Body Snatchers", re-releasing the original letterboxed DVD with War of the Worlds-type artwork when the Spielberg version came out, as an obvious cash-in only to re-re-release the film again as a special edition about 6 months later to tie that release into "Invasion", the Nicole Kidman remake. Hopefully, if the Pelham movie is anywhere near a hit MGM will reconsider putting out a proper upgrade of this terrific film. I don't need a three-disc ultimate edition, just remaster the transfer and include the trailer. Oh, and please keep as much of the original artwork as you can. Thanks

Ryan Agadoni

Auditioning
Boy, I would love a BR release of this movie. Just discovered it this year, and while I loved the movie, the non-anamorphic picture on my 40" TV killed me. I was really hoping for a "Day the Earth Stood Still"-type BR tie-in. It's not too late, MGM!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Okay, so I have communicated with someone over at MGM who
basically told me that the June 9th release is a "repackaging."
The person I was conversing with was not aware of plans for
a remastered or BD version, but will further check with marketing.

That's about the best I can do for you. It's not good news, I know.

Real Name
Mike LoMonaco
Thanks a lot, Ronald...indeed, not good news for Pelham fans...:frowning:

If this is so, that a remastered version isn't in the works for at least a launch for the remake, would it make sense and just cave to buy this repackaged version of the old transfer?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks