What's new

The Survivor 9: Vanuatu Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Alex S

Second Unit
The challenges are constructed so that the women have an advantage. Women are much better at balancing than men are.

I agree. They did this the last time it was men vs woman.

The men lost that challenge as well because of the balance beam. Men are much bigger and heavier. It's a huge advantage being smaller and lighter.

The challenges aren't going to be anything physical like running, swimming, climbing or carrying something heavy...

where the men would have an advantage. All the challenges were puzzles, finding keys and guessing games.

We won't see any physical challenges until the tribes merge.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Very interesting show. The older men are already making what usually turns out to be a mistake (by immediately voting off a threat within their own group). In this case, it may not hurt, as their won’t be many challenges based on strength until there is either a re-ordering of the tribes (most likely) or a merge.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
For the first time I think that we have had a member of the crew captured on the sound track. When Chad had revealed his amputation, there was some discussion among the tribe members. One person said very clearly ‘good on ya’, mate’. And in a heavy Aussie accent. And that is a very Australian expression.

The only Aussie that I know about who is in front of the camera is Jeff Probst. So the comment must have come from one of the crew.

Once again the hyounger girls are shown as non-team players.

But this has not always hurt them in the past. Brady may be a player to watch, as he did not vote with either block, but chose to send a message. Rory looked surprised.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
I think voting Brook off was a smart move. How many times during All Stars did we bemoan the fact that no one was challenging Romber and their Minions of Evil? Voting off Brook immediately broke a youth power alliance in the making, and will keep them unsteady for a while.

While it might cost them as a tribe, they have to be thinking endgame. You want to prevent the "unstoppable" alliances from forming or from remaining intact.

When they showed Chris saying he wasn't worried, I thought for sure it meant he was gone, though - that's the way the show's been edited in the past.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
quote:Lisa is 44, and she was one of those taking...what did Eliza call it? A rest break or something?
Point taken.

IIRC, the quote was 'a well deserved rest break'.
smile.gif

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
quote:The only Aussie that I know about who is in front of the camera is Jeff Probst. So the comment must have come from one of the crew.
Probst was born in Kansas and grew up in Seattle, Washington.

Regards,

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, that comment struck me as odd. I never heard of Probst being an Aussie.

I also heard the "good for ya mate" comment. I was wondering who said that since they're all Americans.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen

I must agree... although never have I seen so much silicon in one television show.
wink.gif
My wife was even commenting on the serious amount of eye-candy this season.
laugh.gif

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It's like Survivor took a casting cue from Fear Factor/Dog Eat Dog.

The mud in Ami's teeth was a little distracting though. :D

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
quote:I know it's a game and strategy is very important but why when you have someone like Chris, who absolutely lost the challenge all on his own (and looked rather pathetic doing so) don't they vote the chocker off?

For the love of God, for once make the chokers of the world pay for their ineptitude and move on.

By voting off someone who actually looks like they might be able to help in a challenge the team just made the team weaker for the next go around.

I agree Patrick. Chris was so pathetic that he needed to go. Add in his attitude and there's no doubt. He will cost them again in the future.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
quote:The only Aussie that I know about who is in front of the camera is Jeff Probst. So the comment must have come from one of the crew.

I thought the guy on The Amazing Race was from Australia / New Zealand? I know that he is trying to dimisish his accent, but it really doesn't work.

Johnny V

Agent
quote:For the first time I think that we have had a member of the crew captured on the sound track. When Chad had revealed his amputation, there was some discussion among the tribe members. One person said very clearly ‘good on ya’, mate’. And in a heavy Aussie accent. And that is a very Australian expression.

I noticed that too, but shortly after that scene there was a shot of one of the guys talking directly to the camera, and he had a "mild" Australian accent, not terribly thick, but noticible. He's obviously from the U.S., but maybe he just recently relocated to the States from "down under".

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
quote:Probst was born in Kansas and grew up in Seattle, Washington.

You are correct Ken and Andres. I tried looking him up on the net and that is what I found also. I’m sure that I’m confusing him with someone else.

Oops, thanks Patrick and Shawn--I'm sure that was where I got confused.

quote: I noticed that too, but shortly after that scene there was a shot of one of the guys talking directly to the camera, and he had a "mild" Australian accent, not terribly thick, but noticible. He's obviously from the U.S., but maybe he just recently relocated to the States from "down under".

I checked their bios on the CBS WEB site and did not notice any non-American background. Of course I may have missed it (I scanned pretty briefly) or there might have been an omission or oversight.

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor
quote:I know it's a game and strategy is very important but why when you have someone like Chris, who absolutely lost the challenge all on his own (and looked rather pathetic doing so) don't they vote the chocker off?

I totally agree, not only did he choke, he gave up. They kept showing him just pacing back and forth, looking at the beam, shaking his head instead of getting his ass back on it. A choke-job is one thing, maybe they just can't get it done, but a quitter is useless and they should be voted off in a heartbeat. They wouldn't have missed his strength, I highly doubt, from the looks of it, his intellect would have been missed either. He seems like he's going to be a really arrogant ass like Rob.

And yes, there is some serious eye-candy this season from the women's tribe
thumbsup.gif

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I personally think the "Good on ya mate" was a tribe member trying to be funny.

I'm glad Brook is gone.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
quote:I personally think the "Good on ya mate" was a tribe member trying to be funny.
That could be, but it was not how I heard it. I thought that it was a very sincere compliment by an Aussie.

Greg Krewet

Premium
Supporter
For those those who care about these matters, Survivor

beat out NBC's Joey by 11.5 to 9.8 rating points. It appears NBC's Must See TV has run it's course.

Best

Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks