What's new

The Sting SE on 09/06/05 See Post #133 (1 Viewer)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
EXCELLENT NEWS! One of the best films of all time gets treated with the respect it deserves! I can't wait to hear more details; I really hope we get some involvment from Newman and Redford, at least.

Tommy G

Screenwriter
HOOOOOOORAAAAAAAAY! It is about time. I'd be interested now to find out from Tony D whether the theatrical release was just a cropping job to appease the studio masses.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
At the time the film was made, there were only a modest number of studios, and typically a film did not have to appease more than one, let alone masses of them. :)

Regards,

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
from post #122...
"i just bought a used copy. so i guess a new edition will be announced any day."

took a couple months but it worked.

Dave Hahn

Premium
Real Name
Dave Hahn
Thank You Universal! :emoji_thumbsup:

I've requested a SE of this film three or four times over the years. It was three years ago I pleaded to Universal to issue a 30th Anniversary SE for Christmas. Well, better late than never :)

I hope two discs = many special features. I have no doubt that both Paul Newman and Robert Redford have made contributions. George Roy Hill remains both actors' favorite director and he was a close personal friend to both men. I look forward to in-depth interviews with both concerning this film.

The Sting remains one of the most entertaining films ever made; witness the respect and admiration academy members gave it that year. I believe this is so because The Sting is a wonderful study in the craft of film-making. There are no holes here; the script, casting, directing, acting, art direction and scoring are all perfect.

Most members here have gone without seeing this masterpiece because of the OAR issue. I forsee much discussion after those who have not seen The Sting finally get to enjoy George Roy Hill's masterpiece.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Artwork and final specs are up at DVDAnswers:

Not much quantity-wise, but hopefully the doc'll be good, the descriptions there do sound interesting.

I like that artwork and cover design, especially on the inside. Been so long since I've seen it, someone help me out: which character is on the far left there, in the inside background image? Aside from him, from left to right, I guess it's Hooker, Twist, and Gondorff.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Why????????????? It looks like Universal is behind Warner and Fox when it comes to getting audio commentaries from film historians, since the director, Hill is dead and I doubt that Newman or Redford cared to share their thoughts on this film with a commentary track.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, even a commentary that you don't like is usually a welcome extra. No one's going to force you to listen to it.

I would have liked a historian commentary that dealt with some ideas about the different approaches to period pieces in this movie and in Butch and Sundance. The latter one feels very much like a late '60s film (not a criticism, I love the movie), while The Sting feels more like it could have been made during its Depression-era time period.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks