What's new

The Sting SE on 09/06/05 See Post #133 (1 Viewer)

Matthew H

Second Unit
Actually, a lot of actors don't actually watch half the movies they star in. The same goes for actors in TV shows and voices in cartoons. Jerry Seinfeld and Jason Alexander from 'Seinfeld' haven't seen more than 10 episodes of the show's 8 season run, according to Jerry himself at a Q&A after one of his stand-ups this past July.

I guess it's a typical Hollywood thing.

Pat Frank

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah he actually talked about that a bit -- apparently he's never seen most of the movies he's starred in, and doesn't like doing so. And remember: This isn't just an actor; he's one of our greatest directors as well. A real student and teacher of the craft of making movies. (Sundance isn't just a festival, it's an important education facility and, in a sense, a research center as well.)

I would imagine that these folks (actors) are, by and large, movie buffs, just like you and me, and seeing themselves on the screen (not to mention knowing the story and already having a vision of how it's supposed to go in their head) more or less ruins the experience on all but the most intellectual of levels.

Kain_C

Screenwriter

Where do you get this info? No offense, but I find it hard to believe. I figure an actor is probably interested in bettering himself and as such would watch his films to learn and grow. Redford may be an exception but I certainly do NOT understand that mentality of not wanting to see any of his acting performances (and I don't consider him merely 'an actor' but that's all he was in this film), but I can accept it I suppose.

Pat Frank

Stunt Coordinator
He could well be the exception rather than the rule. (shrug) But I think the motivation behind it is fairly understandable, if a bit unusual and perhaps surprising.

You might also consider that an actor who is steadily working, as Redford was in his prime back in the '70s or anyone on a regular weekly TV series, doesn't have a lot of time to watch any movies, let alone their own work. And then once their show ends or they otherwise free up sometime, maybe they don't want to watch their old stuff for fear of seeming pathetic, like Norma Desmond or something...

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Al Lewis (Grandpa Munster) always said he's never seen an episode of THE MUNSTERS.

It's not unusual for an actor not to enjoy watching his own films. I don't understand it myself, but it's common.

Sean Richardson

Stunt Coordinator

Redford is on the record saying that he hates watching himself act, so it seems pretty cut and dry. I've heard the same from quite a few actors, you start to be self-conscious about the performances while you give them if you watch yourself act. A lot of people who do it always say they hate it.

[I have to assume Redford made an exception for 'The Horse Whisperer'.]

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I kinda wish this thread was made a "sticky" and left to stay at the top of the software forum as a sort of protest/message to Universal to get this thing done!

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Okay TonyD, you and me, at the playground at 3:00.

(serves me right for just skimming through the thread).

Actually, I've boycotted the film on DVD and have NEVER seen it. Now that I have TiVo, I'm excited to watch it OAR. One of the few big holes in my film-viewing history.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I am probably one of the the biggest opponents of "foolscreen" on the net, but yet I did buy the first DVD for THE STING when it first came out in the '90s. It's one of my very favorite films and I've been able to enjoy the movie several times over the years as I wait for the OAR version. I just don't see the point of denying yourself a favorite film; I mean, what if the OAR of THE STING takes another 10 years or NEVER comes out (unlikely, I know, but just a thought)?
And at least the film wasn't filmed in 2.35:1, so it's not really that compromised.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I haven't spent much time with Turner Classic lately. Are they still showing films uninterrupted? I seem to remember an uproar that they started showing commercials or station promos during their films. Or, maybe that was AMC.

In any event, no Tivo or DVR for me. I've either got to watch a crappy VHS copy...or make plans to sit my butt in front of the TV at exactly 8pm on February 25th and watch a favorite film I haven't seen in ages.

How did we ever get by in the "old days"? :D

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
TCM movies are uninterrupted by commercial breaks, at least the last one I watched. There is a TCM bug that appears in the lower corner, periodically.

- Steve

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

That is most definitely AMC. Don't even compare AMC w/ TCM, as that is like comparing Apples to Poop. TCM is pretty much the only reason that I have satelite. If they stopped broadcasting, my dish would be down in a flash! :D

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
turner does not interrupt movies and they dont have paid advertisements, as far as i can tell.
plus they do not edit any of the video portion of a movie but they do edit or mute some dialogue quite often.
i was watching (for the first time) ....and justice for all, the other day and as i still heard the "F" word is till saw/heard many muted words were i saw people talk but no words.
right in the middle of a sentence.

i have seen this before.

Dave Hahn

Premium
Real Name
Dave Hahn
Same here Joe; I just couldn't wait any longer for this to come out in OAR as it is also one of my favorite all time movies. However, another time I also gave in and purchased a copy of The Great Waldo Pepper at Walmart for $4.99. The film was Pan & Scan, and it looked as if whoever did the actual P&S'ing did so with a hand-held-camera. The film actually jerked around; and then there was the framing which was just horrible. After the first five minutes of the film I couldn't take it any more and I ejected the disc and threw it in the trash. Wouldn't you know they're selling for $35.00+ on ebay. :frowning:

I seriously doubt we'll ever see The Great Waldo Pepper get a decent OAR dvd release, and it is a shame. This film was a pure labor of love for Hill who was himself a pilot. Hill grew up during "the first age of flight" and was enamoured with the early barn-stormers and later with the pilots of WWI. The character of the young boy in the film is loosely based on Hill's youth. The movie contains some of the best dog-fights ever filmed, and that's saying something. Hill was a tremendous fan of both Wellmans' Wings and Hughes' Hell's Angels and it could be said that Hill made The Great Waldo Pepper as a homage to these two great films.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
waldo pepper has been on hdnet movies during the last 6 months and it looked great.
so there must be a good widescreen version for that so maybe it could be ported to dvd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks