What's new

The Star Wars Prop Replica and High-End Collectibles Collecting Thread. (1 Viewer)

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Chazz,
Go to the forums at Rebelscum.com and in the Other Collectibles section look for the thread titled "New Koto Vader Coming". It's got some great pictures of the second Kotobukiya Vader. As good as it looks in those pics, it looked even better in person. :emoji_thumbsup:

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
When they alter the color (making something chromed or silver, or gold), I guess I feel like I have some "less accurate" rather than something "exclusive."
Isn't the movie prop gold? That's my understanding from reading MR's description of the prop before they made their versions.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Greg_S_H,
Sidious' saber is multicolored.
Here is a link to Master Replicas's limited verison, which is exactly like the one in film:
http://www.rebelscum.com/ToyFair/200...r/image123.asp
And (for all) the reason the .45 scale one
seems so small is, in part,
because the full scale version
is quite small, too.
I would imagine Sidious designed it to be
small so it could always be hidden in his robes.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
So, the standard Sidious .45 is going to have gold parts and chrome parts, but the special chaser version is all gold?

I meant to go by BB today to check these .45s out in person, but I couldn't make it.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Greg,
As best I understand it (again, I don't tend to track the exclusives as much because I want things to look exactly as they did in the films), the Best Buy .45 scale exclusive is a solid smoked chome, which can be found on there website here:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1099393182864
(Click on the more views, and then alternate view to see more than just the box.)
Compare that to the .45 scale non-exclusive at Target:
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B0007YWIMM
Clearly this one has at least three different colors of surface.
Someone else may have an exclusive gold version,
but I haven't seen it, though I vaguely recall it.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Well, I cracked open the Sidious .45 Exclusive that I found at my Best Buy earlier this week just to see if I was lucky enough to get one of the 150 gold chase versions. Unfortunately, I wasn't and I was even more dismayed to see how small the Sidious .45 scale saber really is. The thing is like the size of a toothpick.....seriously. I knew it was going to be small, but I didn't expect it to be SO miniscule. I think I may end up putting it on eBay or selling it to someone who is looking to add this piece to their collection because it's definitely not something I'm interested in keeping for myself.

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
So I ordered the Anakin Ep. III Force FX lightsaber the other day from Target.com (they shipped it the same day!) and I think this is definately the coolest Star Wars thing I ever bought. I've been waiting for a "real" lighsaber like this for like 20 years, where were these things when I was growing up? This is definately would have been a top of the Christmas list item back in the 80's. But what do I do with it now? I'm still trying to justify spending $100 on a lightsaber....

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Just take it out and ignite it every once in a while. That's what I do. Every time I turn it on I think how cool it is and that's enough for me to justify spending a C Note on it. ;)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Kurt,
The thing is, 20 years ago, would you have had the impulse control to NOT hit anything with it? The desire to demo these, when the blade is so fragile, is almost a form of cruelty.
:)
Brent,
I hear ya on the Sidious saber. I honestly suspect that many will feel as you do and the thing of the prized 150 gold chase versions just feels like a gimmick to motivate people to buy the tiny Sidious "exclusive" replica saber.

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
Wow that Koto Vader looks good, I think the GG Vader looks swell too. Still I'm sticking with the SS Vader, it is 'the one' for me :D
Hope I can get away with a shameless plug here, but my forum now has its own dedicated Star Wars section
The force is strong with this one! :D

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Where did you get yours? I know different stores had differnet colored exclusives.
I got the silver one from Best Buy? Yeah, I think that's it.

I don't know if this counts, but I'm thinking of getting the big lightsaber that I see in Best Buy, and I'm thinking of getting the huge Star Destroyer Lego.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
That Grievous is SWEET. :emoji_thumbsup:
However, I have that money earmarked for a Sideshow Vader statue. In fact, I thought I had one secured on eBay last night and I was outbid with 2 seconds left in the auction. Dammit! :angry:

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Chazz,
My only concern with Grievous is that people may not think he is as cool once they see the film. Expectations for him have been high, particularly because of how he was portrayed in the Cartoon Network show. But reviews of the film show the audience being decidedly mixed about his appeal.
I'll stick with Vader, even though I think ROTS is going to make me feel much differently about him too.
:)
Mark

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
Yeah I kinda skimmed through your post a bit (very spoiler phobic here) but I think you are describing your fear that the character would not be all that great on film?
I totally see where you're coming from, but I actually don't find that to be a problem- obviously things will be more clear after the film is released but I think even if he isn't in the film all that much he could still be a very cool character- similar to Darth Maul, who really didn't have much to do in Ep1 either, other than some lightsabre high-jinks.
If you think you'd want one after seeing the movie, then I'd order it- cancelling from SS is dead easy if you've never done it before. They don't charge until they item ships either- which is a year or more from now for Grievous. This is great, because it gives one time to save up for an item. Problem is I still don't think I will have another $450 for that statue by then so I'm just saving myself the trouble entirely :D

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Chazz,

I just checked out the Star Wars section of your site, and it is very cool! Thanks for the link to the Star Wars figure video. Ya' know what it made me think when they showed exactly the inspiration for the Vader figure [the moment when he confronts Obi-wan]? That they might make Obi-Wan as a companion piece (as they did with the LOTR Morgul Lord and Eyowen statues).

That would be sweet, and probably my first non-Vader Star Wars high-end collectable in some time.

Let's hope that is what they were thinking, since they haven't done Leia or Obi-Wan yet, and they seem like natural choices for SS 1/4 scale statues.

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
Thanks Mark! Yeah, they are definitely working on Obi- very good possibility too of a companion pose with Vader as you mentioned. For April fool's they had a preview page for "The spirit of Obi-Wan" (or something) and it was just a pile of robes on the floor :D
You can see the Sideshow work in progress wax sculpt here:
http://charles-song.com/phpBB2/viewt...?t=599&start=0

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I realize this is the High End collectibles thread but I have a general question. Certainly not in the same importance as the Master Replicas however.
Anyone here collect the Star Wars food packaging stuff?
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

I only started this back in 2002 with Attack Of The Clones. I bought both "Collector's Editions" of the Clone Crunch cereal. I ate the cereal but kept the boxes. They are in great shape. Now with so much stuff marketed for ROTS, I started buying nearly everything from the Kellogs Cereal boxes, Cheezits, Fruit Snacks, Pop Tarts, M&Ms etc... I think I've nearly managed to get most of the character portrayals on these things.
What/how do I store these or display? I don't want to junk up my collection. But my collection is far from high end. I am about to begin a journey of Master Replica Lightsabers. I have all the Hasbro ones and they are displayed. Are these cereal boxes worth collecting? Displaying? I know collecting is a personal thing but some feedback would be beneficial. Thanks. :b
Also, where does one find a glass type case or shelf?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks