What's new

The Star Trek Enterprise appreciation and Season 4 discussion thread (this one's for the fans). (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Wasn't some of the Ten-Forward footage reused from TNG? I thought they only built the wall behind Riker and Troi in that scene; all the rest seemed like old TNG footage.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member

That's exactly what I think they did. Overall, on the technical side, they did do a great job of re-creating the Enterprise D sets either as small bits or CGI or old footage. The CGI model of the ship was also quite good, I think more visually compelling then the Ent E.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Saw a review of the finale over on Cinescape.com. The reviewer obviously didn't read the credits for the episode because he thought that Manny Coto was responsible and wanted to know what happened to the quality shows from the 4th season. He says at one point:

How deep into the "Trek camp" do you have to go to know that Berman and Braga were responsible for the finale? Hans't that been public knowledge for months?

Anyway, here is the link if anyone is interested:
http://cinescape.com/0/editorial.asp...e&obj_id=48774

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
From Trekweb:

STAR TREK VI closed an era with peace with the Klingons, ST:TNG ended with the salvation of the universe and the reconceptualization of time, ST:DS9 ended with victory over the Dominion and Sisko's ascension, VOYAGER ended with a catastrophic battle with the Borg. But what does "Voyages" end with? A speech we never see? A Federation we are not even given the chance to see come into being? The culmination of Enterprise's journey is not a story about the building of the Federation; it is a story about fighting space bandits. Riker marching through a holographic recreation to get answers about duty and orders seems more like something VOY's Naomi Wildman might have done, accompanied by Tuvok.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member

Deeper than this reviewer. I'm not sure how widely Cinescape is read (I used to read it way back before they changed the format), but it kinda sucks they'd "credit" Mr. Coto with this. Maybe someone will write them and he can clarify.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Deep enough to read the opening credits. :rolleyes:Which, if you're going to be doing reviews for a branded site, is probably something you should be paying attention to.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
Wasn't this finale a known formula used in Voyager? Didn't Janeway and Tuvok go back in time to Sulu's Excelsior during the ST VI battle? Though that may have been a mind meld and not a holodeck simulation. They were also analyzing a situation in the past to deal with a current crisis.

For me Riker and Troi was not a problem, What was the problem is using an ALREADY used story from TNG. It was neat to see them, but all the time devoted to them could have been used for the ENT cast. It does change the mood of the original Pegasus with all the touchy feely stuff from Troi, when Pegasus was a taut political thriller instead. I suppose someone will combine the two and make it a Pegasus - Special Edition.

You can tell this one had the old Berman and Braga touch. The awkward way that Trip was trying to prevent Archer from taking risks was beaten in so much, you can tell he was going to die (plus Riker or Troi gave it away pretty early anyway). The Brent Spiner voice over the intercom was cute, but I thought Data was past those jokes by then (the raincheck).
The end was nice, but a series finale boiled down to 3 lines of dialogue (only one of which was new) and less than ten seconds of special effects? This show was a total disrespect to the cast of this series.

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
Yeah, not good.

I fell of Enterprise by Season 2 and came back because of good reviews for Manny Coto. Overall, I felt these last few episodes were good, not great. certainly not good enough to exist within the top 3 series ( I also think ST ended with DS9)

A few of us were at a friend's house to watch the final episode. We ended up talking over most of it until a TNG set would pop up. It really underscored how much better TNG was than ENT.

Afterwords, (we had Tivoed it so it was late) we ran smack into a TNG episode on Spike. Sure, it looked very 80's but the budget, writing and acting were way above what we had just seen.

Star Trek didn't end friday night. It ended in the 90s

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Have to share this asburd comment I read from Berman in the new issue of TV Guide. He said that the finale we just saw (These are the Voyages...) would have been the season finale even if the show was renewed for season 5. Yes, he said, Trip's fate would have been the same, but since the show took place years ahead of the regular series, the actor could have been back for season 5.

Does anyone believe him? I know I don't. A show that is coming back next year doesn't jump ahead 6 years for its season finale and in the process show the audience the fate of a major character.

The guy's lost his marbles. And I can't believe the comments from him and Braga in recent weeks saying they were just as involved in season 4 as they had been in seasons past. They're just trying to salvage their reputations. If I were Manny Coto, I'd be fuming. I hope when all is said and done, Coto gets Berman's parking spot on the Paramount lot.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Another spot on review....

Melanie Mcfarland of the Seattle Post-Intelligencer says that "every Trek [series] leaves us with a lesson to learn. "Enterprise" reinforces one of the oldest truisms there is: For goodness sake, listen to your mother! When "Trek's" big mama says the turkey's done, you put a fork in it and stop cooking. Let time and absence lead to nostalgia and renaissance."

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
The finale sucked. To have Trio and Riker dominate the episode, Trips pointless death and never see/hear the speech just show what a couple of morons B&B are.

Jim Dalton

Stunt Coordinator
I think that no matter how they would have written the "big historic speech" Archer gives, it would not live up to our expectations.

Reminds me of the old saying, "The road is better than the inn."

On another topic, Enterprise was the only show I watched on UPN. So that's it for that network.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member

Yep. I wonder if the series had been renewed, if this still would have been the last episode of the season. If so, I may have given up on it, knowing that there would be no character development for the characters (especially for Trip and T'Pol).

Of course Manny could have said it was another holodrck malfunction. B&B should be ashamed of themselves. I wonder if they actually believe their own bull?

Ric

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Another thing that bothers me about the episode is that everyone's conversations-in all rooms (even the private convos) were shown, supposedly the way they happened originally, in the Holodeck. How is this possible. Are there multible cameras in all areas of the ship like "The Real World" ??

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'd imagine that there have been dozens of memoirs and historical novels written about these events in the intervening centuries, and 1701D's holodeck is able to use them as source material while interacting with the players and dynamically rendering the scene.

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
If you do a search on eBay, you can bid on the green crayon that was used to write the last episode.

(I hated it, for every reason expressed in this thread, and more. :thumbsdown: )

Moe.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks