What's new

The Stanley Kubrick Archives... (1 Viewer)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Gary, thanks for the heads-up on this, just ordered mine from B&N for $152 (incl. Reader's Advantage discount).

As far as your film strip goes... you bastard!!! ;)

Seriously - perhaps the most famous cut in cinema history. Amazing :emoji_thumbsup:

Me?? I'll probably get the Zero-G toilet instructions sequence... :laugh:

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit

If the film is indeed in the public domain, then there is no such thing as a "bootleg" of it. Jeff Adkins is just as much a legitimate distributor of Fear and Desire as, say, Warner Brothers would be.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Hi there, Charlie!

You know, even though the film may be public domain, I know of no authorized editions being out. As such, we'll call 'em boots!

And your comments about the film itself pretty much match my impressions of it from the two times I saw it back in '75. Yes, this particular filmmaker would climb to breathtaking heights from that particularly humble beginning. But, then, I'm less than objective here.

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Just to clarify for those that didn't get my joke. I don't have that film strip, but it does represent a sample of what one might get... that and the star child sequence would be my top choice but getting them is about 7000:1 (I think)

Best,
Gary

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
I knew you didn't have that filmstrip because I have it. Hahahahahahaha. Only kidding. It's peculiar that barnes and noble discounts the book but not amazon. Much easier purchase for me via amazon - I may drop them a line and see if they'll consider price matching.

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
It's only £70.00 from Amazon.Uk which delivers overseas. That is only $130.865 USD by my 'cash counter'... I say use them.
Best,

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I have to say that the US edition has the better cover. What's with pink cover on the UK edition? It's not a colour I associate with Kubrick's films.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
No offense, but there's no authorized editions of One-Eyed Jacks or McClintock(yet) either, but the DVDs that are out there aren't bootlegs. If a film is indeed "Public Domain", then there is no such thing as a "boot" of that film since anyone can legally manufacture, exhibit, or sell it.

According to these aricles, the film is definitely in the public domain and at least one company, Subterranean Cinema, supposedly offers it for sale. Apparently, there are just aren't any prints around for any of the usuals (Madacy, Diamond, Alpha) to release it, as the one I have certainly isn't even good enough for someone like Madacy to release. A release of the film in this condition would generate so many returns and complaints that it just wouldn't be worth the hassle.

http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=14996

http://www.filmthreat.com/Reviews.asp?Id=4492

http://www.visual-memory.co.uk/amk/doc/0047.html

Nonetheless, you're in charge so from here on out, I won't discuss the film any further.

Jeff

Real Name
Anthony
Gordon - I don't know for sure, but I think the pink cover was probably an initial design. It's been on amazon for a long time now, before the official site was updated. This'll be a limited edition book and I can't see that they'd go to the expense of designing different covers for the US and the UK. It's too much of a "niche" product.

In response to an earlier post, yes - it's an expensive book. But so was the SOME LIKE IT HOT book and, believe me, all the cost was there in the quality of the book. It's just a gorgeous thing, to the eye and to the touch. I'd never normally shell out so much but if the Kubrick book is up to the same standard, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
I got a form note from amazon saying that occasionally it IS cheaper to buy from other sites, and that they just don't discount every item. I suggested they pay a visit to their own site, UK version. Doesn't matter - I ordered it from amazon.uk. What no one has pointed out is, that the release date at amazon.uk is February 25, as opposed to the US release date of sometime in April.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
I had to go for this, even at a whopping £70 on the Amazon.co.uk website. It's great to see that Kubrick's estate is willing to let the public own such material, as I thought that the recent exhibitions of some of Kubrick's archival material was the best that we were gonna get.

Yet with the recently remastered Strangelove DVD, plus the Bits sneaking out the news that 2001 is getting a new DVD release, and now this book, Kubrick fans have been well catered for.

Hopefully there will be more to come with respect to the Warner catalogue of Kubrick's work (although the extant remastered editions are admittedly fantastic in terms of A/V quality) but this book will greatly appreciated nonetheless. It's out on payday too. :D

Sorry if this was mentioned elsewhere, but I haven't heard anything about a 2001 re-release. Is it just speculation?

This book looks awesome, and I am def saving money by getting it from the UK. 70 pounds UK (about 163 Cdn) vs Amazon.ca's price of $244 cdn. Savings of $80? Plus a few months earlier? Seems like a no brainer to me.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Craig, rumor has it that 2001: A Space Odyssey is being reissued in a two-disc SE. Whether that means a new transfer from scratch is hard to say, given how good the current transfer is.

Jeremy

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like to thank Gary Tooze and DVDBeaver for bringing this book to my attention.

The next project focusing on Kubrick's unfinished Napoleon sounds just as fascinating.

I had originally ordered this through Amazon but their late shipping date (which may be an estimate) plus Gary's post with a "dream" film strip made me decide to order it directly from the publisher, on the chance that they might give direct customers a treat. Judging from their website and attention to detail, it wouldn't surprise me, although I suspect the most choice points of the film will be reserved for insiders.

Wait, what am I saying? ANY cell from a Kubrick film is worth framing.

Melson

Agent
Has anyone received his/her copy yet? I ordered mine through amazon.co.uk, but it hasn't even dispatched yet.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
The Library of Congress also owns a copy of FEAR AND DESIRE and has screened it at least once that I know of. I've only seen the first ten minutes or so, but couldn't sit through the rest. I prefer to remember Kubrick as the genius he was.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks