What's new

The Spaghetti Western (1 Viewer)

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I've picked up quite a few of the Wild east Spaghetti westerns over the last few years . They do a pretty good job . I wish they would re release " A Reason to Live a Reason to Die . I missed it when it first came out now it's out of print and pricey .

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
New Wild East title coming soon, a Craig Hill double feature (source: Wild East's website):

And the Crows Will Dig Your Grave (1972) / The Dirty Fifteen (1968) - Tuesday 14th August.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Check out this interview with Eric Mache, Vice President and co-founder of Wild East Productions Inc.:
http://bloodbrothersfilmreviews.blogspot.com/p/aka-titles.html
Wild East homepage:
http://184.172.176.43/~wildeast/
I wish they'd re-issue DAY OF ANGER, one of their first DVDs which seems to be a title everyone wants:
c94eb479_DayOfAnger1969.jpeg

dale3

Grip
Real Name
Don
Richard, Thanks for the bloodbrothers link for the interview with Eric Mache and Wild East. Nice to see fans of the genre go to great extents to put out a good video quality of spaghetti westerns, while not getting rich doing so. Most of the money goes back into getting the next best quality release. I also would like to see oop past releases done. He also briefly talked about dvd boxed sets and bluray releases. I would probably buy both if price was fair. There is also a link there which reviews about 48 spaghetti westerns. Good read.
This is the second week Spaghetti Western.net website has been down for maintenance. Also microsoft security essentials will not open most of the Wild East website, says security certificate has expired or not yet valid. I will check it again at the end of the week. :D

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
WaveCrest said:
New Wild East title coming soon, a Craig Hill double feature (source: Wild East's website):
And the Crows Will Dig Your Grave (1972) / The Dirty Fifteen (1968) - Tuesday 14th August.
Got an email from Wild East announcing this double-feature has been delayed to "about September 22nd".
I forget why I bought it.
Why doesn't Wild East release a special edition of Cemetery Without Crosses (1969)?

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Wild East announced two new DVD's on their website today, due November 6, 2012:
GLI UOMINI DAL PASSO PESANTE (1965) aka THE TRAMPLERS
Directed by Albert Band and Mario Sequi.
Music by Angelo Francesco Lavagnino.
With Joseph Cotten, Gordon Scott, James Mitchum, Ilaria Occhini, Franco Nero, Emma Vannoni.
TESTA O CROCE / HEADS OR TAILS aka TAILS YOU LOSE (1969)
Directed by Piero Pierotti.
Music by Carlo Savina.
With John Ericson, Franco Lantieri, Spela Rozin, Edwige Fenech, Silvana Bacci, Pasquale Basile, Teodoro Corrà, Franco Daddi.
LA NOTTE DEI SERPENTI (1969) aka NIGHT OF THE SERPENT aka NEST OF VIPERS
Directed by Giulio Petroni.
Music by Riz Ortolani.
With Luke Askew, Luigi Pistilli, Magda Konopka, Chelo Alonso, Guglielmo Spoletini, Franco Balducci, Giancarlo Badessi, Luciano Casamonica.
All three films were recently released by Medussa Home Video in Italy. My guess is that Wild East leased the same transfers and added the English option.
Still waiting on the double-feature And the Crows Will Dig Your Grave (1972) / The Dirty Fifteen (1968) due on September 28.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Richard , Thanks for the update on the Wild east releases . I buy just about all the SW releases they put out .

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
borisfw said:
I've picked up quite a few of the Wild east Spaghetti westerns over the last few years . They do a pretty good job . I wish they would re release " A Reason to Live a Reason to Die . I missed it when it first came out now it's out of print and pricey .
MGM has released a nice copy of this title which i picked up in the Walmart budget bin .

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Our friends at Wild East are fans of Craig Hill and wanted to source out more of his films for DVD. I appreciate that fact. I also appreciate that THE DIRTY FIFTEEN (1968) and AND THE CROWS WILL DIG YOU GRAVE (1972) are extremely scarce and hard to come by. However, the picture quality of THE DIRTY FIFTEEN is about equal to an old VHS, and not a very good quality VHS. It's muddy and streaky with blown contrasts and little definition. AND THE CROWS WILL DIG YOUR GRAVE has better definition and color, but it is a long ways from an acceptable HD transfer.
This latest double-feature (two more sets are coming this year) is not up to Wild East's usual high standard.
In situations like this, Wild East needs to issue a statement in the promotional art and on the DVD cover art that only poor quality transfers were available, but they hope fans will find them worth the cost because they are scarce and good films. Such a statement, or a wording like it, is only fair to the customer. An advance warning will also ward off disappointment and bad reviews because everyone will know in advance what they're paying for and have no justification to complain.
In comparison, the spags on Mill Creek's budget-priced Blu-rays are much higher quality transfers.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
borisfw said:
MGM has released a nice copy of this title which i picked up in the Walmart budget bin .
Picked Reason to live up at Walmart too . Thanks for the heads up .

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I used to pick up most of the Wild East titles at DVD Empire and Amazon . . I've noticed the last few releases are not showing up on either site . Any recommandations on what online stores are carrying the new releases . I've been trying to find The Tramplers with no luck so far .

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Still waiting to get my damn hands on the Sartana box they've had in the "Not quite pre-order" limbo for months now. I guess it's coming soon, but I want to give them my money NOW!

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
They keep having delays. I'm curious to see what those films are like. They are all new to me.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Richard--W said:
They keep having delays. I'm curious to see what those films are like. They are all new to me.
The only one of the four I've seen was Have a Good Funeral, Sartana Will Pay - I picked up a budget release for a couple of bucks a handful of months ago. If the other three were as good, I'll be thrilled with this set. Its not Man With No Name level of awesome, but it was pretty damn good. The trailer isnt that far off from how good the flick was:

Plus the soundtrack was pretty awesome too:

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I had no idea that John Ericson ("Honey West") and Luke Askew (EASY RIDER) had made Italian westerns. I'm sure I came across Craig Hill's name in connection with Eurocult films before, e.g. ASSIGNMENT TERROR, but had forgotten to research it further until I saw this thread. I know him from things like THE BLACK SHIELD OF FALWORTH and THE FLIGHT THAT DISAPPEARED, but I had no idea he spent the bulk of his career in Europe.

Is there any complete list anywhere of American actors who starred in Italian westerns?

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Vic Pardo said:
Is there any complete list anywhere of American actors who starred in Italian westerns?
While it's not a complete list, I find that the SWDB is a pretty comprehensive resource. Surely they must have some kind of listing there!

Off the top of my head, I can only think of a handful: Lee Van Cleef, Charles Bronson, Bill Shatner (okay, Canadian), Henry Fonda, Jack Palance, Edd Byrnes, James Coburn, Fred the Hammer Willimson - oh and of course Eli Wallach and Clint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks