1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Smurfs Season 1, Volume 1

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by ClassicTVFan1981, Feb 26, 2008.

1. ClassicTVFan1981

ClassicTVFan1981 Well-Known Member

Has anyone bought the animated cartoon The Smurfs: Season 1, Volume 1 on DVD yet?

If so, has anyone checked the end credits for the 1979 Hanna-Barbera "Swirling Star" logo with the byline ("A DIVISION OF THE TAFT ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY" on a single white line)?

There are 19 segments in this volume spread across about 6-7 episodes, covering the first part of the 1981-1982 season.

2. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Well-Known Member

I apologize in advance for my thoughts about this release.

I thought about buying it, then realized:

A. It's season 1 volume 1 of a show that lasted 10 seasons. That's a whole lot of waiting, and buying.

B. WB uses 1 single sided disc, and one flipper disc. That's not even cool. That in all honesty, is bullshit!

WB's treats most of their classic cartoons in this fashion.
    Am I condemning them for releasing a series? Damn straight. If they don't care to send the very best, then don't bother.
    I'm saving my money, and hopefully they don't release any more.

3. MatthewA

MatthewA Well-Known Member

Matthew
    Speak for yourself, Bryan.

I'll pick up the set, but I'll watch it when S1 V2 comes out and watch them both.

4. mrmike898

mrmike898 Well-Known Member

Michael Wagner

Yes, I agree, volumes aren't the nicest way to release a show that lasted as many seasons as The Smurfs did. But, here's something that should make people happy: both discs are actually single sided discs! WB apparently changed their mind about using a double sided disc some time after releasing early art and then still later after printing the actual packaging. I was a bit confused at first when I opened up the box and it listed the content for Disc 2 Side A & B since both discs are single sided, but everything listed for Disc 2 is indeed on it, just all on the one side! Good decision WB!

5. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarification. If they release volumes in a decent time frame, and don't make us wait too long in between, I may consider buying in!

6. MatthewA

MatthewA Well-Known Member

Matthew
    I picked up the set today. I checked the first episode and it has the H-B Swirling Star with the Taft byline.

7. ClassicTVFan1981

ClassicTVFan1981 Well-Known Member

That's good to hear, because a lot of the other H-B classic DVDs released as of late (aside from the DC Comics-owned Super Friends titles) have had their original closing logos (such as the 1968 H-B "Box") replaced by the 1994 H-B "All-Stars Comedy" logo.