What's new

The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour - Seasons 1 & 2? (1 Viewer)

texboil

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Robbins
Even though I bought this set in September, I just started watching it post-Christmas.

I have no problem with the third season coming out first or with the release being a "best of" as opposed to a complete series. What I don't like are the edits made to the shows themselves, even though the edits were presumably made by the brothers (or maybe just Tom) themselves. Some of the edits, coming in the middle of sketches or intros by the brothers, are very jarring, as if the discs themselves were scratched. (One stand-up appearance by impressionist David Frye is ridiculously short, only including one impression.)

There is also one episode where the brothers mention the appearance of a couple members of "The Committee" (Howard Hesseman being one) but the show itself is lacking the appearances.

I understand Tom Smothers isn't as thrilled about these shows today as he would like to be, feeling that they now seem "tame," but it's a shame he didn't just put 'em out there as they were originally broadcast. Lorne Michaels doesn't dig the Milton Berle-hosted SNL, but that didn't stop him from including it in the most recent SNL set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks