What's new

The Simpsons 2/20 "There's Something About Marrying" (1 Viewer)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Complain all you want, and I'll be the first to admit that I don't watch the show as often or laugh as hard as I used to, but I have to admit to a pretty good belly laugh at the line "I bet that's how angels cough". :)

Regards,

Todd K

Second Unit
See, we're now at the point where we give an episode a pass because we got a single good laugh from an episode. It's like people are letting it slide because The Simpsons is an old friend. I know it would be tough to see a dear one pass on. But when you look back at 16 seasons, those really golden episodes from the early 90s get diluted by the weak efforst of the past six years. Look at shows like Seinfeld and Star Trek The Next Generation. They took themselves off the air so they could go out on a high note. Now when we look back, we say, wow, they had a really solid 7 seasons (or however many).

Sure, it was sad to lose new visits with people like Kramer every week, but you ruin the memories of the good shows by not knowing when to quit. All good things MUST come to an end, as they say.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I think the show has so much potential that I feel they will eventually break this "dry" spell and come back with classic episodes.

Some shows surely need to end before they get "stale", but others don't necessarily need to. Each show is like an animal...oh no! here comes another analogy. :D

You may need to put a horse to sleep if it breaks a leg, but you don't put a dog to sleep if it breaks a leg.

The Simpsons are just "down", but they'll get back up and walk again.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member

I still like the show but I do feel that that's a part of the reason why. The Simpsons has given me so much entertainment over the year, I can let a few subpar episodes slide by.

It's kinda like SNL. It's not as good as it used to be, but it's a comedy institution, and is one of the most respected programs on TV.

Todd K

Second Unit
Now SNL, there's a show with its ups and downs. There's a much better chance they'll get funnier again, as opposed to The Simpsons.

There are plenty of humorous shows still on the air. Arrested Development, for example. Curb Your Enthusiasm, too, but that's only 10 eps a year. Besides, no one is putting a gun to your head saying you MUST watch a show on Sunday nights. If TV is all crap, you don't have to watch the best of the crap. It's still crap. There are other ways you can entertain yourself. However, if you absolutely MUST watch something, try a DVD or a show recorded earlier in the week. There's always the potential for something better! Watching 22 episodes a year waiting for a single good one (that may or may not come) takes real dedication!

(On the same hand I could ignore The Simpsons altogether and pretend it ended years ago.)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

I've always thought that South Park does topics like this one better than the Simpsons ever could but part of that I think has to do with the fact that South Park can be prepared in a lot less time and so they can really mock a fad while its going on or take a shot at an issue at its most relevant. Its why South Park had a funny take on the 2000 election and the Simpsons never touched the topic because by the time the episode would've aired most people would've stopped caring.

That's why I appreciate both shows and recognize the strengths and weaknesses each have as a result of things such as the network they're on, the style of animation used, etc.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Wow. Talk about a loaded statement. I think "Arrested Development" its worst is still better than "The Simpsons" at it's post-Season 7 peak. "Scrubs" too for that matter. Last night, "Everwood" had an hour of television (minus commercials) that was far more satisfying that a good number of theatrical features I've seen. "Joan of Arcadia", Duff episodes aside, also manages to balance humor with sentiment - Something that "The Simpsons" used to do better than any other show on TV.

That's the thing to me about modern Simpsons. It's cheap humor. Any time I think they're about to stretch themselves they just self-conciously mock the humor they one embraced in other (far better) episodes. It's like Nelson writes the show; everything is aimed towards either a cheap "Haw haw"-type laugh or at awkwardly squeezing in yet another guest start.

I'll admit we had a very watchable run earlier in this season. But this show used to be GREAT.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think in the long run it'll be good that The Simpsons can't hit on topics like South Park. There are South Park episodes that seem really dated already and it's only been a couple of years since they aired. What will they feel like in ten years? Granted, that's part of what South Park is about- commentating on things happening today in the world.

And don't get me wrong, South Park does some great stuff but history won't be as kind to it as it will to The Simpsons.

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams
I missed this ep unfortnately. But did find it odd there was absolutely no mention of the 50 Cent episode. Was it that bad?

And BTW, just because most things on TV are sub-par, is not a good reason that a show that obviously has gone past its sell by date, can't be gotten rid of. Just saying.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

A bit harsh, but not far from the truth. I personally think it should be cancelled simply because the quality ratio has slipped too far and the bad episodes are getting worse.

There are some good episodes still, but people are in general agreement that they're getting rarer, and more importantly, when you get a bad episode now, it stinks. Not all the episodes in the early series were brilliant (we are getting a nostalgia effect, rather like the belief that Monty Python had sketches of the quality of the Parrot Sketch wall-to-wall - it didn't). However, in the early series, there were enough really good episodes to make it a must-see, and the less good episodes were at least okay.

I used religiously to record all the early Simpsons episodes. Now it's something I'll watch if I remember it's on and I've nothing else to do. And more often than not, I'll switch off after a few minutes if it's yet another lame guest star/Homer has a zany idea/Marge befriends someone episode. I could never have done that even with the weak episodes in the early series.

The Simpsons has turned from sharp comedy to comfort blanket. For the sake of its long-term reputation it should kill itself whilst there are still some shreds of dignity about it.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

As Mark said, them's fightin' words, and come on, already. I'm not someone who sticks with a show out of habit (dropped the X-Files after season 6, dropped NYPD Blue after season 7 [though I have been watching the last few], dropped ER long long ago, and in the process of dropping Alias). But the Simpsons has remained consistent, IMO, and has even gotten better in the last year or two. I find the social satire to be both bold and funny. It's still smart television, and probably the funniest smart TV there has been in a generation.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I liked it, I thought it was pretty good. There was a great line by Chief Wiggum about Ralph saying that you have to explain to him where the world goes when you close the shades. I also liked how Kirk VanHouten had all those female fans when he was in Prison which was a good spoof of Scott Peterson.

This last episode has generated talk because of the slightly controversial nature of the episode.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Sorry, but SNL hasn't been funny in the past 15 years.

While I agree that The Simpson's prime has long since past, there are still occasionally some great episodes. The episode with Marge getting the breast implants was on the other day, and I still find it funny. I also got a great kick out of the episode with Lisa and the spelling bee dreaming about the Seven Sisters. (Helps that my wife and my sister-in-law both went to Seven Sisters colleges.)

While it isn't always rewarding, there is an occasional gem that slips through.

Jason

John McM

Second Unit
well, I think the treatment Simpsons gets now is just due to what it used to be. If we pretend the first decade of The Simpsons didn't happen, I think people would be able to enjoy these seasons better. No, we will never see the likes of seasons 3-8 again I'm afraid, but The Simpsons remains funny, and even the bad episodes still manage to get a smile from me.

I admit to being a bigger South Park fan than the Simpsons, but even I'd admit a bad Simpsons episode is better than a bad South Park episode, the Wal-Mart episode last season of SP was less funny (in my opinion) than any Simpsons episode I've seen.

Todd K

Second Unit

I never said that wasn't the case... just a much better chance it'll make me laugh more consistently. I actually wish they'd end both shows.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Anyone else think that when the Simpsons get blatently political it's not funny?

Kinda like the preachy Trek episodes. Not as good, some blatently BAD.

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor

I don't think I understand why people care if there's a program on that they don't like. There's a ton of stuff I don't like on television...so I just don't watch it.

As for The Simpsons...I hope it remains on the air as long as I continue to enjoy it. Which I currently do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks