What's new

The simple things in life that annoy us. (1 Viewer)

LewB

Screenwriter

I always figured it was to help earn them money, either by compiling a list of 'live' names to be sold to a telemarketer or for demographic info about who is visiting the store and where they are from

My 'love to hate' top item is blister packaging and the plastic shrink wrap around CDs and DVDs, drives me nuts ! (a short trip admittedly).

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Try hitting "0" at any time. More often than not, it will take you straight to a human being.
This used to work. It no longer does with most companies. The vast majority of the time I'm simply greeted with "We're sorry, that is not a valid option. Please try again." Bastards.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
creepers-- people who can't keep their foot on the brake pedal at a red light and have to creep a few inches at at time while they wait. Many creepers will then pause stupified when the light finally does turn green and delay everyone behind them.
Man, I thought I was the only one who hated this, too. Though it is kind of funny when people creep so far ahead they're no longer on the pavement sensor then wonder why the light doesn't change to green for them.

Similar to this, I'll add people who brake as they approach a green light, yet stomp the gas when it's yellow.

KerryK

Stunt Coordinator
Speaking of glasses, I hate it when people tell me my glasses are fogged up. Thanks for telling me - I though I had gone blind!

People who shove around you to get on or off the subway. It's not going to leave without you! Relax!

I really hate this. Also at work. I take the time/effort to go to someone's office to talk to them face to face, and a co-worker calls from their office and THEY get priority? Worse, I stand around and waste my time while they have their conversation. People's attitudes towards phones in general: just because it's ringing doesn't mean you must answer it!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Looking out my office window, I was reminded of another:
People who spit.
Now in all my years of living, I've never, ever, felt the need to spit for any reason except:
  • When I'm brushing my teeth.
  • When I have a phlegmy cold.
  • If I eat something that's too hot/spicy.
  • I taste something that's spoiled.
  • A bug flies into my mouth.
At no other time have I ever felt the need to haul off and hock one.
Yet I see people spitting all the time! Just standing around, talking, or walking down the street. Every couple of minutes .... PTUI!
It's disgusting, it's filthy, and it's unnecessary.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Whenever I am doing housework and have a load of laundry going, why is it that the moment I lie down on the couch to relax, the dryer goes off! :angry:

Ken CG

Agent
Looking out my office window, I was reminded of another:

People who spit.

Now in all my years of living, I've never, ever, felt the need to spit for any reason except:

When I'm brushing my teeth.

When I have a phlegmy cold.

If I eat something that's too hot/spicy.

I taste something that's spoiled.

A bug flies into my mouth.

At no other time have I ever felt the need to haul off and hock one.

Yet I see people spitting all the time! Just standing around, talking, or walking down the street. Every couple of minutes .... PTUI!

It's disgusting, it's filthy, and it's unnecessary.
I agree with ya right there. It is disgusting and it almost makes me wanna puke. It's also bad when these jerks spit on the sidewalk. Then some poor soul steps in it. YUCK!!

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
When I'm 3 minutes into a movie and the phone rings.

People in front of me who constantly hit their brakes without any need. Learn to slow down by just taking your damn foot off the gas.

4-way stops where no one pays attention.

When Wal-Mart runs out of things I always buy, and I never see 'em in stock there again.

People who monopolize a clerk's time while the line behind them is only growing longer.

People who write checks at the store (any store). Get a damn checkcard, it's 2003. Save your checkbook for the bills.

Brae

Supporting Actor
When you say, "hand over your wallet" and instead of 'handing it over' they size you up and call you Chump!

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
People who don't hit the silence button when arming or disarming their car alarms late at night.

People who honk their car horn a millisecond after the light turns green.

When the lead of a roll of tape gets stuck to the roll and you have to peel it to get the roll started again.

Shifters...those wonderful people in front of you at a movie theater who absolutely, positively cannot sit still for more than 30 seconds at a time.

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
When you're at the pump using your card for fast gas and press the receipt button at the end, only for the readout to flash 'Clerk has receipt.' Uh, I'm out here using my card so I don't have to go in!

When the corner store raises the price of your favorite 6-pack one week, the next week it's back down, and the next week it's up again, and the next week it's up even further.

When you're walking out of Best Buy with a newly purchased DVD and the security alarm goes off.

When your local Blockbuster decides that it's a good idea to arrange EVERY new release format in alphabetical order together, tapes mixed with DVDs.

When the universe decides to make your lawn go dormant late in November and make it grow again in mid-March. Call me lazy, but I want some more time off.

When it takes the post office more than a week to deliver a first class letter or package in the continental US.

When Saturday and Sunday go by faster than Monday and Tuesday.

When your neighbor's dogs (amiable as they might be) constantly dig holes under the property line privacy fence and get out.

Mark Brewer

Stunt Coordinator
When I want to get romantic with my wife and the baby magically wakes up.
When they ask me for my # at radio shack and toy-r-us I give them someone elses.:D
When somebody has a running commentary during a movie...
When I go target practice and can't hit a thing...
When my wife asks me "what are you thinking?" right after we make love. And me being honest I tell he about my idea for finishing our Home PC network.
Every other day my wife asking me "do you still love me??"
One day I just going to say NO!!!!

LewB

Screenwriter
The way that the corporate weasels have bastardized the word 'Team'. Any time 2 or more people work on something, they now have a 'team'. They have turned it into a 4 letter word :angry:

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Every other day my wife asking me "do you still love me??"
One day I just going to say NO!!!!
LOL. My female friend told me she used to ask her husband "Does this make me look fat?"...he got SO pissed off about her constantly asking it that he finally said "Yes! You could stand to lose 5 pounds!"
She initially got really upset, but eventually got over it...She never asks him that question anymore :D

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Oh I have a LONG list of things that annoy me, but to avoid annoying my HTF brethren, I'll just list a few that come readily to mind:
Traffic lights that stay green as you're approaching it and then turn yellow when you're just the right distance from it that you can't "make the yellow" and have to stop. And of course then you have to wait out the entire cycle.
Traffic lights that don't stay green long enough, so that you have to wait through more than one cycle to get through.
Idiots
Cell phones, no scratch that, ALL phones!
Telemarketers, one of the reasons I hate phones
Spam
Pop-up ads, and overly flashy animated banner ads on web sites
The fact that everything revolves around money

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
When you open a bag of chips and it tears halfway down the side of the bag.

When you pull back the metal top on one of those small microwavable things and you get to the end and no matter how careful you are it always violently snaps spattering the contents on your shirt.

Zipper baggies that are impossible to get started.

When you go to close the box of cereal you just opened and you carefully try to break the slot open so that the flap can be inserted into the slot and the skinny strip on the outside tears away now rendering the closing mechanism useless. Why do they make the slot this way? Why can it not be free of obstructions ready to use?

When you go to cover a plate of food with plastic wrap and the plastic wrap is about 1/2" too narrow to reach the other edge of the plate. Why doesn't someone make plastic wrap that's 2 or 3 inches wider?

When you look over and realize that there's no toilet paper on the roll and then you think "no problem, I can reach into the cabinet here and get a roll" and then you open the door and see that the back-up supply is exhausted and then you realize that you're the only one in the house.

When you go to start a new roll of toilet paper but where they attached the leading edge (some sort of glue?) it's all out of whack and it takes forever and after a while you finally think you have it but then you realise that the one-ply and the two-ply aren't in sync and you have to do some more unrolling to try and get the perforations on the 2 plys lined up.

ken thompson

Second Unit
When they reset all the grocery shelves at the grocery store and rearrange all the products. It takes me a good six months to back into a pattern.

When I go to start my car or boat and it wont.

When my wife has a headache (she gets these a lot)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks