What's new

The Silence of the Lambs: Collector's Edition - Due 1/30/07 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
Tying in with the theatrical release of the upcoming prequel "Hannibal Rising," MGM Home Entertainment has announced a new two-disc The Silence of the Lambs: Collector's Edition. Due on January 30th, 2007, this set will feature a newly remastered 1.85:1 anamorphic transfer and Dolby Digital 5.1 track. Recycled bonus materials from the previous edition will include the "Inside the Labyrinth" making-of documentary, the original 1991 featurette, 20 minutes of deleted scenes, an outtake reel, photo gallery, Anthony Hopkins' "Hannibal" phone message (audio only), theatrical teaser and trailer.

New to this edition are "The Silence of the Lambs: Page To Screen" two-part documentary ("A Wealth of Talent" and "Preparation and Authenticity"), a new three-part documentary with director Jonathan Demme & actress Jodie Foster ("The Beginning," "Making The Silence of the Lambs," "Breaking the Silence") and a "Scoring the Silence" featurette. The set is topped off with a four-page booklet and exclusive Hannibal Lecter recipe cards. Retail is $26.98.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

Oh geez, is there another movie coming out?

I liked Red Dragon quite a bit, but I hope they're not planning on watering the series down.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Hope that this time they will have Tak approve the transfer. The colors on the last MGM release bore no relation to Tak's app'd transfer for the Criterion LD and DVD releases.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
But they also said Tak approved the MGM transfer as well. Maybe his memory's fuzzy. :)

This does look cool though. Cover art is spiffy. It would've been great if they included the Criterion commentary. Haven't they been licensing them out a bit more frequently as of late? A Criterion commentary appears on MGM's collector's edition of Raging Bull, so I'm thinking it wouldn't have been impossible.

Other than the Criterion extras, this set seems to answer most of the qualms some had about the last SE. Remastered transfer (perhaps closer to whatever the heck the film's supposed to look like) and they got participation from Jodie Foster and Jonathan Demme as well.

Rolando

Screenwriter
well Criterion broke their "no licensing of extras and commentaries" rule when Halloween 25th Anniversary from Anchor Bay had the Criterion laserdisc commentary.

So it IS possible. Did MGM even try? that's another story.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I'll be waiting for some early reviews to come up before I decide if it's worth buying this for the 4th time. The A/V quality will be the deciding factor.

Though, inclusion of the Criterion commentary would certainly tip the scales for me. One of those rare times that I regret selling off an earlier version.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
Yeah, even though it's non-anamorphic and Dolby Surround, the Criterion is the one I throw in my player when I want to watch the movie, not the MGM SE.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Seeing as how I don't yet own this on DVD, I will probably get this edition. The extras sound nice, but don't you think that "Hannibal Lector recipe cards" are a bit much?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Actually, they broke the rule earlier - the 2001 Monty Python and the Holy Grail had a Criterion commentary...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I'd bet the new DVD will use the MGM transfer, but I hope I'm wrong. An anamorphic image with the same color timing as the Criterion disc would be a winner!

Roy Batty

Second Unit
Real Name
Jose M Mendez

Yes, there's a new movie coming, HANNIBAL RISING, based on the novel that will be released around the same time, a kind of "The Adventures of Young Hannibal" or "The Origin of Hannibal the Cannibal". :laugh:

As far as I now, Thomas Harris worked on both the novel and the movie's script at the same time. The film is directed by Peter Webber, whose prior effort is GIRL WITH A PEARL EARRING.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks