What's new

The Sentinel: No reviews and it opens Friday. Not a good sign. (2 Viewers)

Cassy_w

Second Unit
Michael Douglas is fast having a lot in common with Harrison Ford. This movie opens in 4 days and yet not a single review over at Rotten Tomatoes. Not good.

The story is interesting and the commercials make it look good, but that doesn't mean anything.

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor
I saw this at a screening on Tuesday night. It was terrible. Take "The Fugitive", "In the Line Of Fire" and elements of "24" (the casting of Kiefer notwithstanding), strip them of quality and you have a film that is a predictable, boring and silly mess. Avoid, folks, avoid.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, I thought the film was too short in the character development department, and the middle act is just unbelievably underwritten, but the last act was okay. I picked up the traitor pretty early, but it doesn't really matter for this sort of genre, I guess. For a 2 hour popcorn flick, it did an average job.

So, I give it 2 stars or a grade of C.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Just heard Ebert and Roeper's review, they gave it two thumbs up.
I'll probably catch this one later in the week.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
A lot of reviews said it wasn't even good enough to be an episode of "24". I'll definitely be waiting for the DVD on this one.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I rented it today...recovering from a kidney stone. (ouch)
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Not bad, but could have been so much better. Not the same film for sure, but In The Line Of Fire is WAY better. Way better. This one needed something and not really sure how to describe it. Felt rushed? Thin at times, and then it got really good.

Overall, I give it a

7/10. Generous but I'm on drugs. :)

Eric Carl

Stunt Coordinator

Nearly everything the director, Clark Johnson, has made, was done for TV.

I think the only other movie he is credited with is: SWAT.

I just checked and, yep, he has only done this and SWAT as features....more than likely, they are just Made for TV Action movies.

Anyways, he was pretty good on "Homicide: Life on the Street" as Meldrick Lewis...so his ability is more than likely limited to TV directing.....not that there is anything wrong with that.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I saw this at a friends house a couple of weeks ago. It was ok. It started well, but the finale was very anti-climactic. Good cast, though.

Eric Carl

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe, The Sentinel was made with a lower budget than SWAT because SWAT did not make good money.

So, maybe it feels like made for TV, because of the low budget. The fact that Clark Johnson is a TV director maybe points to the lack of creativity in his shots which leads you (and others) to feel that it is a TV movie.

Errrr......it should be pointed out that I have not seen this, yet, but I will grab it in a couple of months when the price drops, as the trailer grabbed my attention....regardless of what some critics, or reviewers, think of the movie itself. By that time, it may go on sale with Inside Man, which is a film I really enjoyed, so even if I disliked it, I would be getting it for about the price of a rental.

-Eric

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Saw it today (it just opened in theaters down here). I thought it was pretty good. Not the greatest thriller I've ever seen, but I enjoyed it. Some plot holes (Garrison wants to go through his buddy's computer to see what leads he was working on, and next scene he's found the terrorists' hideout?) but it was quite enjoyable.

rodney_T

Auditioning
I saw this at a local cinema complex with a buddy after we won free tickets.

Glad they were free.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks