What's new

The Rodgers & Hammerstein Collection (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Kyrsten Brad said:
I was kinda hoping they would have included RAH 's live version of Cinderella featuring a young Lesley Anne Warren but not to be. I'd see Carousel just to see Shirley Jones in her pre-Partridge family days.
I had to read this several times, and then had to look at subsequent posts.Did you mean R&H or RAH (Rodgers And Hammerstein)?

Because here on HTF, "RAH" has a different connotation. Unless Mr. Harris has yet another accomplishment for us to be thankful for.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
ahollis said:
The live version was with Julie Andrews in the late 50's. Lesley Ann Warren did the tape 60's version. Both are or were out on DVD but not sure the quality would lend its self to Blu of either production.
Can't imagine that it would. The 1956 is a kinescope, and the 1964 is videotape. DVD has higher resolution than either. By the way, the 1964 Warren is OOP and bringing high prices. All you can get at reasonable cost is the 1956 Julie Andrews and that putrid 1997 Brandy. I suppose at some point they'll film the current PC Cinderella -- not that I'd buy it! I'll stick with the original story (in other words the 1956 and 1964), which has lasted hundreds of years and needs no help from the disciples of Bowdler.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Rick Thompson said:
Can't imagine that it would. The 1956 is a kinescope, and the 1964 is videotape. DVD has higher resolution than either. By the way, the 1964 Warren is OOP and bringing high prices. All you can get at reasonable cost is the 1956 Julie Andrews and that putrid 1997 Brandy. I suppose at some point they'll film the current PC Cinderella -- not that I'd buy it! I'll stick with the original story (in other words the 1956 and 1964), which has lasted hundreds of years and needs no help from the disciples of Bowdler.
Agree.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Rick Thompson said:
I got both DVD's of the early productions. I grew up on the Lesley Anne Warren version so it is my favorite. Forget Brandy version and whatever comes next. Just like the new NBC Peter Pan I only want the Mary Martin version. I'll just stay in "My Own Little Corner."

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I've pre-ordered on the basis that it's easy enough to cancel if the full details, when available, do not make purchase a compelling decision. If enouigh of us pre-order, then maybe this listing really will lead to a definite release, unlike the earlier Amazon.co.uk phantom offering.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Since, I already own Sound of Music and South Pacific, I can wait on the single releases as there are only two must own titles left for me. They are Oklahoma and The King and I. For an investment of $140, I can use those funds to buy other must have titles while I wait on the single releases.
I am going to cancel my preorder for this boxed set.

It never helps when you already own more than one title that
is being recycled into an expensive set.

The singles will eventually be available.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I'm especially looking forward to "The King and I". Its plush production values are going to absolutely explode on Blu-ray. Getting chills already. Like the others I already have the single releases of "Sound of Music" and "South Pacific", but will more than happily double-dip if those 2 have been revised or have new extras - though those were pretty comprehensive in the first place.

Dare we hope that the 1962 "State Fair" (one of my personal favourites) will be included as it was with the last DVD release of the original 40's "State Fair"? And what of my beloved "Flower Drum Song"?????

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
ahollis said:
I got both DVD's of the early productions. I grew up on the Lesley Anne Warren version so it is my favorite. Forget Brandy version and whatever comes next. Just like the new NBC Peter Pan I only want the Mary Martin version. I'll just stay in "My Own Little Corner."
So how's the image quality on the Lesley Anne Warren version DVD?

You can't touch one on Amazon for less than $70. Somebody was right in saying (on Wiki I believe) this version is more highly regarded than even the Disney animated versions.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I'll always prefer the '57 Julie Andrews version, with Lesley Ann Warren a close second. Picture quality on the older OOP Lesley Ann Warren disc is good - from original videotape source. Lovely colour. A trifle grainy.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, I grew up with the Lesley Ann Warren version so it's always been my favorite (despite being a dyed-in-the-wool Julie Andrews fan). Yearly repeats were almost anticipated as much as The Wizard of Oz replays each year.

The 1964 version interpolated "Loneliness of Evening" for the Prince giving him a glorious introduction (and Stuart Damon is a better singer than Jon Cypher), and I can't say I miss the song for the King and Queen that wasn't used in the 1964 version.

I had no idea the 1964 version was out of print. I can't imagine why something like that would EVER go out of print. There are always going to be families who would want that, and it's certainly not played on TV any more.

Maybe the R&H Organization is planning a new TV special once the Broadway version and its national tour are concluded.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Matt Hough said:
The 1964 version interpolated "Loneliness of Evening" for the Prince giving him a glorious introduction (and Stuart Damon is a better singer than Jon Cypher), and I can't say I miss the song for the King and Queen that wasn't used in the 1964 version.
Maybe the R&H Organization is planning a new TV special once the Broadway version and its national tour are concluded.
Although the Disney Brandy version substituted "The Sweetest Sound" for introducing the Prince, salvaging it from another failed solo-Rodgers musical, and seemed like it had enough innocent sentiment to fit the musical style better here.
(While they're at the Rodger-ing, they also give the Rodgers & Hart "Falling In Love with Love" to Bernadette Peters as the stepmother, but that sticks out like more of a sore thumb than the Prince's song. You can tell the Hammerstein-lyric'ed songs in the original.)

And given that TV can't think outside of its own box for the same two TV-aired musicals--now three with Sound of Music--I'd say that another Cinderella from the current version is If, Not When. At least I hope so. :)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Ejanss said:
Although the Disney Brandy version substituted "The Sweetest Sound" for introducing the Prince, salvaging it from another failed solo-Rodgers musical, and seemed like it had enough innocent sentiment to fit the musical style better here.
Ah, but it wasn't from a failed Rodgers effort. It was from No Strings which was not only a hit but which won Rodgers another Tony Award for Best Score. I didn't like its interpolation at all into the Brandy version, but then I didn't like much about that version from casting to performance.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Matt Hough said:
Ah, but it wasn't from a failed Rodgers effort. It was from No Strings which was not only a hit but which won Rodgers another Tony Award for Best Score. I didn't like its interpolation at all into the Brandy version, but then I didn't like much about that version from casting to performance.
Yes I was just going to say that, Matt. Opened this week in 1962. Diahann Carroll also won for her performance as Barbara Woodruff. Though most only remember "The Sweetest Sounds", the score as a whole is quite strong and is one of my favourites from Rodgers.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Kyrsten Brad said:
So how's the image quality on the Lesley Anne Warren version DVD?You can't touch one on Amazon for less than $70. Somebody was right in saying (on Wiki I believe) this version is more highly regarded than even the Disney animated versions.
It's a 5.4 on a scale of 10. Many scenes are blurry. But I grew up with it so I love it. As I do Mary Martin as Peter Pan.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks