What's new

The Rodgers & Hammerstein Collection: Amazon pre-order! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I put in my request to Universal for Flower Drum Song, Thoroughly Modern Millie, Sweet Charity, Xanadu and The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
RobertSiegel said:
Boy what mixed emotions. First I had the biggest surge of happiness, after all, these are supreme musicals, and all of them filmed exquisitely. I had done some writing on South Pacific for a column on another website and had a contact high up in the home vid department who told me the Carousel and The King and I Cinemascope 55 negatives were being restored for these transfers. These films should look absolutely stunning.

The one downer for me was finally seeing the contents of the set. No Flower Drum Song. Fox had worked with Warner Brothers to get "Blazing Saddles" (from Warner Brothers) into the Mel Brooks set, so I wonder if Fox tried to include Flower Drum.

HDnet Movies is currently running a brand new transfer of "Flower Drum Song" and I can't believe how gorgeous the movie looks, also the sound was remastered and is one heck of a soundtrack. I am so familiar with the movie having watched it many many times, I can tell there was a good amount of work done to it. But would Universal release it? NOT!

I just read some rather big news last week, Craig Kornblau, president of Universal Home Video, who was with them for 13 years (or close) was let go and replaced, this has already taken place.I now have some hopes that things will change at Universal Home Video, by releasing NEWLY remastered editions of their catalog, and maybe even some of their musicals on Blu-ray, like Flower Drum Song, Thoroughly Modern Millie, or Sweet Charity. And of course the newer musicals Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, Xanadu and The Pirates of Penzance. They didn't even release the NBC broadcast of The Sound of Music with Carrie Underwood on Blu-ray, only DVD ( I didn't like it, but still, what's with that?). This change of presidents could be a huge improvement (or not).

Here is a link to the news story on Variety:

http://variety.com/2014/biz/news/craig-kornblau-out-as-universal-studios-home-entertainment-chief-1201120402/

HERE IS HOW TO CONTACT UNIVERSAL FOR FLOWER DRUM SONG, PLEASE TAKE A FEW MINUTES AND FILL IT OUT ON A REGULAR BASIS.

1. Go to: http://www.universalstudios.com/contact_us.php
2. Click "I accept."
3. Under Entertainment, click on DVD and Blu-ray
4. Next page, click your country
5. Next page fill out the form.
Under "subject" I fill in "Blu-ray request."
Under title I fill in "Flower Drum Song."
Blu-ray for format, and leave retailer blank then enter the code
6. Type your message on the right side. There is no limit for text characters.

If we all keep filling in this form, (I have for several years a few times a week) and have friends do it, maybe the new president on Universal Home Entertainment will actually listen this time.
ZANADU was the very worst musical of ALL time.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Here is the back cover.

r&h back.jpg

Doug.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Some lovely photos - I love the design they've gone with. A shame that the '62 "State Fair" appears to not be included... maybe a future TT release...??

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
It might be a good idea if the 2 x Rodgers & Hammerstein Collection threads were amalgamated.

Saves having to read and repeat things twice and there are going to be pages and pages of comments once the set is released.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.