1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Rodgers & Hammerstein Collection: Amazon pre-order!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Giovanni DN, Mar 13, 2014.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RolandL

RolandL Well-Known Member

Roland Lataille
    They will have to "fiddle" a little as the original 6-tracks were five in the front and one surround. 5.1 is three in front, two surround, one for subwoofer.

2. RolandL

Roland Lataille
    It might be the same transfer that was released in 2009. I would hope it would be in HD instead of SD.

MatthewA likes this.
  3. bryan4999

bryan4999 Well-Known Member

Bryan Forbes
    Fox restored "Carousel" and "King & I" in the mid-2000s. I say this because I went to a screening of "Carousel" at the Academy theater in April 2005 and it looked fantastic. There was a brief talk about how they had gone back to the original Cinemascope 55 negatives, which had not previously been done since the original release. A blu-ray should look spectacular as the restoration as done at 4k. The following is from the handout I received:

**A beautiful restored 35mm print of "Carousel" (20th Century-Fox; 1956) will be shown at its original 2.55:1 aspect ratio at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences' Samuel Goldwyn Theater on Apr. 22, 2005. Shirley Jones, who stars as Julie in the 1956 film, will be the evening’s special guest and will discuss the making of this legendary film adaptation of the Broadway classic.
    The film, one of only two ever produced in the short-lived Fox process called CinemaScope55, originally began production in both 55mm and 35mm CinemaScope, but after seeing early rushes from a location shoot in Maine, studio chief Darryl F. Zanuck was impressed with the 55mm and ordered production on the 35mm version halted.
    The Academy screening will be the first time since the original roadshow presentation that the film has been seen in its complete widescreen frame and original stereo soundtrack layout. The restoration, completed digitally at 4K resolution by Cineric, Inc. in New York City, will be presented in the original CinemaScope ratio of 2:55 to 1, with a fully restored original 4-track stereo soundtrack.

MatthewA and Rob_Ray like this.
  4. Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray Premium
    Supporter

Rob Ray
    I remember that screening well although I wasn't able to attend. This was right around the time that CAROUSEL and THE KING AND I were coming out on DVD. I don't know what the source was for those DVDs, but the BluRays should look and sound spectacular. I'm confident they will.

The week after OKLAHOMA! was released on DVD to notorious criticism here over the Todd-AO version, a friend of mine went into a recording studio in the LA area to record an audio commentary for another Fox film. While there, the Fox representative mentioned, "We're getting clobbered over OKLAHOMA!". So obviously they take what we say here very seriously. I think we'll all be pleased by Fox's investment in making OKLAHOMA! look and sound the way it should.

MatthewA likes this.
  5. Broadwayboy

Broadwayboy Member

Does anyone know the story about the much-maligned color tints that appear during the musical numbers in SOUTH PACIFIC? I've read in several books that Josh Logan was assured that they could be removed if everyone hated them (which in fact everyone did), but in the end the tints could not be removed. Did the camerman actually put a color filter on the lens, thereby permanently coloring the film negative?

6. RolandL

Roland Lataille
    I think when the dvd was released, someone posted pictures on the internet of the filtered scenes after he photoshopped them. He was able to remove the filtered tint and they looked pretty good. Of course that was many years ago and the pictures were small so, I don't know how great they would look blown up to a 140 inch wide image!

7. bryan4999

bryan4999 Well-Known Member

Bryan Forbes
    I suspect that I am in the minority, but I have grown much more tolerant of the tinted sequences in "South Pacific". Part of the reason is that blu-ray and modern hi-def monitors do such a good job of reproducing the film that it looks far better than back in the days of VHS and laserdisc. Even on laserdisc those tints would break up into ugly, blotchy striations of color, the standard def monitprs of the day just couldn't handle it. With the blu-ray, which I project at 110", the tint is rendered very nicely and for me adds to the romantic and exotic mood of the piece and I can appreciate what the intent was in the beginning. As a specific example, at the end of "Some Enchanted Evening" it reverts to natural color abruptly when Nellie and Emile are interrupted, and it is like being yanked back to reality from a romantic haze; I feel let down, just as the characters would, that the moment has passed.

There was a time when I was less appreciative of the films of both "South Pacific" and "Oklahoma!" than I am now. Like many people I saw them on television first and it wasn't until I had the chance to see them on a big screen with big sound that I saw how well they played in the cinema. For some reason, it seems to me that "Sound of Music" and "King and I" played well on TV whereas "Oklahoma!" and "South Pacific" do not.

I also used to be more bothered by the rearranging of the opening scenes of "South Pacific". I still like the original version best, starting with the "Cockeyed Optimist", "Some Enchanted Evening Scene". But the movie makes a point I think and that is that Cable, Nellie, Emile et al are mere humans caught up in a big, wide world that is in conflict, whether the conflict is war, racism, class struggle, etc. Starting with the military aspect brings that home to me.

8. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I agree. I said at the time of the release of South Pacific on Blu-ray that it was the first time I could tolerate those filters, and that in high def, the viewing experience was not ruined at all and that they did, in fact, enhance mood and tone of the sequences where they were used.

9. rsmithjr

rsmithjr Well-Known Member

Robert Smith
    I saw South Pacific in original release and thought that the filters were very beautiful. I cannot imagine the film without them.

The Blu-ray is indeed a good representation of the 70mm prints in this regard, although I think the 70mm still looks better.

This is my personal favorite musical film and my top demonstration Blu-ray.

10. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    I've always thought I was one of the few who always remembered liking the color tints -- from day one, first seeing the film as a kid, then as a teen on a re-release. It appears I might actually have some company here in the woodwork. Anyway, back then I only ever saw the film at theaters, not on TV. For me the filters brought an almost otherworldly dream atmosphere to those scenes that I bought into immediately. I suspect they would have been even nicer and more widely accepted if they'd been a little more subtle. But I'm one who's glad they weren't removable! And like others have said, if you've only seen them on TV or on earlier home video releases, the SOUTH PACIFIC Blu-ray is nothing short of a revelation -- for that reason and many many others.

MatthewA and Reed Grele like this.
  11. Reed Grele

Reed Grele Well-Known Member

Reed Grele
    Oh what a beautiful morning! Oh what a beautiful day!

Looks like a Rodgers & Hammerstein PARTY is Inevitable. :)

12. davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk Well-Known Member

David Matychuk
    It's A Rodgers & Hammerstein, Rodgers & Hammerstein, Rodgers & Hammerstein, Rodgers & Hammerstein World!

Reed Grele likes this.
  13. MatthewA

MatthewA Well-Known Member

Matthew
    There's a European cut of the film that starts with Nellie and Emile's scene. Moving the Seabees' scenes to the beginning, as both the short and long American cuts do, creates a continuity problem: as Nellie and the other nurses run by during "There is Nothing Like a Dame," she talks to Luther about a party to which she has yet to be invited.

It would be nice to get both versions of the film in HD this time. Was the print they used even scanned at enough of a resolution that would yield a 1080p transfer? I hope it's not a situation like Warner's SD-only reconstruction of The Big Red One.

14. Mark-P

Mark-P Well-Known Member

Mark Probst
    I would assume that the South Pacific 2 discs will just be ported to the set as is. However, if they do re-do the roadshow cut in HD for this set, it would be incentive to chuck the old Blu-ray and buy this complete set.

MatthewA likes this.
  15. Roger Grodsky

Roger Grodsky Well-Known Member

Will both versions of STATE FAIR be on the disc? Or even all three (including the Will Rogers)?

16. ahollis

ahollis Well-Known Member

Allen
    Nope

17. cinerama10

cinerama10 Well-Known Member

peter
    The original 70mm version in New Zealand started with Emile and Nellie and the Seabees scene came after that.. I never saw the other version in 70mm until the late sixties in Australia. at a revival screening.Other than New Zealand and Europe, I am not sure which other countries had this version.

18. Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff Well-Known Member

Joe
    This is a good day to discuss the movie version of SOUTH PACIFIC, since it had its world premiere on March 19, 1958, so today is its 56th anniversary.

Joshua Logan's staging of the original Broadway production was revolutionary in that he had one scene "dissolve" into the next by the use of a scrim (see-through) curtain. It might have been the first stage production to be described as "cinematic."

So, he wanted something equally revolutionary for the movie version -- and he came up with those color filters.

Ironically, the New York Times review of March 20, 1958, thought that made the movie "stagy": " ... the trick becomes very obvious and stagy ... and quite inconsistent with the usual striking naturalness and beauty of the scenes."

I saw SOUTH PACIFIC back in 1958 when it was new, and I thought the colors were "neat." But I was eight, and what did I know? I'll answer that: Close to nothing! But I did, somehow, recognize that the score contained one great song after another, with beautiful orchestrations.

But SOUTH PACIFIC has one distinction that can never be taken away from it: It was the most successful film at the boxoffice for 1958.

19. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson Well-Known Member

I've grown more tolerant of the tints over the years. In the most recent Blu issue, I kind of like them. The problem with the film for me is reordering of the scenes. Starting with the aircraft and the flak and the sailors makes you think this is a story about World War Two when it isn't. It's the story of four couples -- primarily Emile and Nellie -- against the backdrop of World War Two. That's why Oscar Hammerstein structured the stage show the way he did: He told the audience right off what the show was about, and it wasn't World War Two.

Maybe the rearranging was Logan's revenge for perceived slights by Rodgers and Hammerstein. He was going to show them who knew better. Unfortunately, he didn't.

The South Pacific film was the first step of Joshua Logan's downward slide. Five flop musicals -- three on Broadway (All American, Mr. President and Look to the Lillies) and two on film (Camelot and megabomb Paint Your Wagon) -- followed.

20. AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke Well-Known Member

Anthony
    I enjoyed the effect of the tints when I first saw them ... but I was only 15 at the time, and saw the movie about six times in two weeks! I was crazy in those days about the character Liat, alhough nowadays I mostly notice Nellie .... esp. in her 'Wonderful Guy' beach scene.
    I hated the filters in the DVD incarnations but they somehow work for me again on Blu ray. For me, the whole thing was and still is magic.
    But most of all in this forthcoming set I'm wanting the perfect Carousel, and the Todd-AO Oklahoma - Shirley and Gordon are my absolute favourite musical coupling, after Fred and Ginger and slightly ahead of Doris and Gordon.. And the first State Fair will be good to have in HD too, with that luminous Jeanne Crain singing (or, rather, miming) 'It Might as Well Be Spring' and looking so luscious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.