What's new

The Rodgers & Hammerstein Collection: Amazon pre-order! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
One thing I really like about the Cinemascope "Oklahoma!" is the main title superimposed over beautiful scenery. I wish they had done that in TODD-AO. I am especially looking forward to "The King and I"; the production design for that film is just stunning and deserves high resolution (I just wish they hadn't cut so many songs).

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Funny thing, memory. I have the impression though it's years since I compared the two that the Todd-AO version of 'Oklahoma!' seems the freshest and with most energy. But both are wonderful.
I do hope that the final price refledts the usual Warners policy of making box sets price-competitive compared to cherry-picking two or three titles!

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
lukejosephchung said:
You're paying for EIGHT separately-filmed movies...both "State Fair" & "Oklahoma!" were done TWICE!!!
Most early cinemascope films were also done (filmed) twice. One cinemascope and other standard. This was because there were few cinemascope screens around when 'scope arrived. We never saw two releases on the dvd or blurays so why have 2 versions on the forthcoming blurays?

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
WilliamMcK said:
Both the Borzage and Lang LILIOMs would make nice bonus features on CAROUSEL! :)
LILIOM was included on the 2 disc version of CAROUSEL so it would be expected to be included on the bluray.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Ethan Riley said:
They should cut a deal with Universal to get Flower Drum Song on there, but that's just wishing
FLOWER DRUM SONG is a much underrated musical that deserves to be seen on bluray. A pity that the outdoor scenes were filmed indoors on a sound stage. That ruined to film for me especially the opening musical number-100 million miracles - it was awful and the set looked so cheap and phony .

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
cinerama10 said:
Most early cinemascope films were also done (filmed) twice. One cinemascope and other standard. This was because there were few cinemascope screens around when 'scope arrived. We never saw two releases on the dvd or blurays so why have 2 versions on the forthcoming blurays?
"State Fair" was done originally in 1945 in Academy ratio 1.37, then REMADE IN CINEMASCOPE in 1962!!! "Oklahoma!" was shot in TWO WIDESCREEN FORMATS in 1955...Todd-AO 65mm and Cinemascope using separate takes for every scene and number!!! Does that explain things to your satisfaction?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
cinerama10 said:
I can only recall two CinemaScope films shot twice: The Robe and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Peter Apruzzese said:
I can only recall two CinemaScope films shot twice: The Robe and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.
IIRC, Carousel was shot twice for Cinemascope, that's why Frank Sinatra turned down the role.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
lukejosephchung said:
"State Fair" was done originally in 1945 in Academy ratio 1.37, then REMADE IN CINEMASCOPE in 1962!!! "Oklahoma!" was shot in TWO WIDESCREEN FORMATS in 1955...Todd-AO 65mm and Cinemascope using separate takes for every scene and number!!! Does that explain things to your satisfaction?
To further help with the explication. TODD-AO at that time was shot at 30 frames per second and could not be converted to CinemaScope's 24 fps. I actually enjoy both versions as Zimmerman staged the dances and numbers a little different to use the correct OAR of each process. The KANSAS CITY number a great example with Charlotte Greenwood staying in frame dancing in the background in the TODD-AO version and dancing out of frame in the CinemaScope version. Gene Nelson also has two different dance versions in a couple of scenes in the number.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Ejanss said:
IIRC, Carousel was shot twice for Cinemascope, that's why Frank Sinatra turned down the role.
It started out to be filmed twice but Fox slowed the frame per second rate down to 24 fps by the time it was to be shot so the CinemaScope 55 could be converted to CinemaScope 35. I remember reading that Sinatra also turned down BRIGADOON because it was filmed twice. Not sure if that is an urban film legend or not but he was to play the Van Johnson role.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
cinerama10 said:
FLOWER DRUM SONG is a much underrated musical that deserves to be seen on bluray. A pity that the outdoor scenes were filmed indoors on a sound stage. That ruined to film for me especially the opening musical number-100 million miracles - it was awful and the set looked so cheap and phony .
I agree that it is much underrated.

Since I live in San Francisco, I probably would have used more location photography myself. However, it is what it is, and I like the look of it. I generally appreciate Ross Hunter's production design.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS was not shot twice per say but the CinemaScope camera was running along side the TODD-AO camera at the same time so they got the same scene with two cameras, one at 30fps and the other at 24fps.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Frank Sinatra walked off the set of Carousel saying he was paid to shoot the film only once, not twice!
So, luckily, they brought in Gordon McRae.
In a strange twist of fate though, Gordon only had to shoot the movie once because between Frank walking off and Gordon walking in, they figured out how to convert the Cinemascope 55 neg to 35mm for regular standard Cinemascope theatre screenings.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Peter Apruzzese said:
Thanks Rob and Allen, I had a feeling I was forgetting some titles.
MGM was the main one and may have a couple more early titles. Funny they were the last ones to go to sound and then was not sold on CinemaScope. As good as they were they just did not seem to grasp new technology.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
cinerama10 said:
I love FLOWER DRUM SONG as well and actually like the phoniness of the soundstage exteriors. Unlike some of the other R&H musicals, it's a light, breezy comedy, and as produced by Ross Hunter, the numbers play like something you'd see on a TV variety show. In fact, much of the movie has the feel of a very opulently produced TV spectacular. The sets play into that feeling and enhance it, and given the fact that's it's a true musical comedy with the emphasis firmly on comedy, I have no problem with it at all.

"Get me a dozen thousand year eggs. And make sure they're fresh!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.