What's new

The Rocketeer (1 Viewer)

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
Amazing.... that ROCKETEER has found an audience on video...

cause when released to theatres, it was poorly attended.

Dugger

Todd_Brown

Second Unit
A vista series release would be fantastic. I am going to buy the current release because of this thread. I love this movie.
Todd

Adam T

Agent
This was my favorite movie when I was a kid and there's no doubt I would definitely buy a special edition.

chris_clem

Second Unit
It wasn't that Spielberg objected to the use of Nazis as villians, it was that he vowed never again to use Nazis as "comic book villians." After he began work on SCHINDLER'S LIST in earnest, he could never take them lightly ever again. I can understand that.
I understand that as well but I wonder who the bad guys will be in Indy 4?;)

Anyway, I love this film as well but I haven't gotten around to getting it. Also, I think our R3 version is anamorphic as well. :D

Frank@N

Screenwriter
This is one of the those few cases where I'm still hanging onto the LD...

It is LBX, but the transfer is filled with video noise.

No point in buying the current DVD for more of the same.

I *really* love this movie though, it's up there with the Indy series for me.

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
I really hope that someone is listening to this thread... there must be poorer films on DVD, released as special editions that are 50 times worse than The Rocketeer

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I'll chime in with the current theme of buying a SE of this film. This was one of those rare cases where the laserdisc looked better. A real dvd release is overdue.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
How much do you guys think this will sell for at the store?
AND yes, I'd love to have a 2-Disc Special Edition!

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
We should start a petition online...seriously. At least it would let Disney know there's SOME interest. I can't start it because for some reason petitionsonline and several other petition sites mess up on my browser.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I'd love to start the petition but I sadly don't know how. I'd sign MOST DEFINITELY on the petition!
While we're at it, we could also persuade the film rights' owners to make parts 2 and 3!
:D

Joe_Pinney

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Pinney
I saw The Rocketeer its first week back in 1991, and I enjoyed it immensely! I've also rented the DVD and it's on my list of buys since it's so inexpensive these days (around $10, sometimes less if I luck out), and it works for me (I have a 4:3 TV currently so whether it's an anamorphic transfer or not doesn't yet make a big difference to me...although I'm with you guys on anamorphic releases/re-releases), but I'd RUN to pick up a 2-disc SE of this (and I know that Disney DVD, when they put their mind to it, can do some really good work). Disney uses the theme music in some of its presentations at the Parks (I believe a portion of it is heard in the "Illuminations" show at Epcot). I've always thought the score of this film was one of the most lump-in-the-throat emotional I've ever heard, and I don't think I'm going out on a limb by saying that it sounds like the American Dream spelled out in musical notes. Isolated score is a MUST on any SE of this film.

I really hope somebody at Disney is paying attention to this site.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Came across a used copy of Rocketeer for $9 bucks.

Was tempted but walked away, for the time being.

Have the LD, but as I recall, it's filled with video noise.

I'd really like to see the movie again, but don't want another junk transfer that has to be DDed later.

Bought Copland a few months ago, now it's getting re-issued.

Does Rocketeer fall under Disney's 'vault' plan or is that only animated stuff?

How long is the 'vault' anyway...5 years...10 years?

DannyS

Second Unit
Epcots fountains were still using the score as of April 2003.

The R2 is anamorphic and the print is great, as is the 2.0 sound! I would love to see this as a vista release. what I would love to see on a vista release is something relating to this.. from the IMDB:

Disney had a special mechanism built especially for this film. Called the "Shaky-cam", it was designed to be the exact opposite of the "Steady-cam", that is, to introduce vibrations into the picture. This was used in the scenes filmed inside the Zeppelin to give the impression of the power of the engines. When the movie went to video, the effect didn't transfer too well, and was therefore steadied.
interesting huh?

Just re read my earlier post! I would still "veritably wet my pants!!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks