1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Rocketeer & Dick Tracy DVD questions

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jim Harvey, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Jim Harvey

Jim Harvey Second Unit

I noticed Disney has released both The Rocketeer and Dick Tracy to DVD, but the DVDs are barebones. Are we getting SEs of either DVDs in the future? I am heavily considering purchasing The Rocketeer and I don't want to be screwed over.

2. John Whittle

John Whittle Stunt Coordinator

Well the Rocketeer is not anamorphic and it's a cinemascope picture so you're left with a band-aid to blow up with the resulting loss in quality. Dick Tracy is anamorphic and I haven't watched it again since it came out, but I recall it was a decent transfer.

I'm hoping that the Rocketter gets redone at least with a new transfer, but no news that I've seen.

John

3. Charlie O.

Charlie O. Supporting Actor

Dick Tracy is also DTS.

4. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    The Rocketeer is also in 5.1 (mislabeled on the packaging as 2.0).

- Steve

5. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Screenwriter

Wow. Is that Steve Tannehill? I haven't seen you in a while. [​IMG]

I remember rumors were spreading prior to Dick Tracy's DVD release that it might be a special edition, but alas, it was not. There may be more hope in that title getting a special edition release than say The Rocketeer.

6. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Still wearing funny hats, dude? [​IMG]

I wish we would get something better transfer-wise on Rocketeer...it was lackluster to be sure.

So what's good to see show-wise on the Strip these days? I'll probably be there in about a month.

- Steve

7. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

Yeah, whatever became of those rumors of Warren Beatty wanting to do a nice 2-disc vista series special edition of Dick Tracy? There was a lot of talk of that happening just shortly before we got the crummy barebones version, and then there were the assumptions that the SE would follow within a year. Was it really all just fanboy wishful thinking? It's now been 13 months since the barebones DVD came out...

8. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I usually dont care about special features, but Dick Tracy is one title Id love to see a SE with alot of "Making Of" material on it.

9. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

The Dick Tracy thing was just a rumor AFAIK. As far as extras available...the three things I can think of that are missing are:

1) trailer
    2) "making of" special which aired on the Disney channel
    3) Madonna performing on the Academy Awards

As far as deleted scenes, I know there were definite snippets in both the documentary and the trailer but I know of no major plot points or anything left out.

Sure do love this movie though. [​IMG]

10. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I thought Warren Beatty wanted to release a Dir Cut.

11. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    If you don't want to get screwed over by buying a copy and then having an SE come out, try the library, NetFlix, or Blockbuster. [​IMG]

12. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

Internet rumor.

There was never a quote from him about this.

13. Jim Harvey

Jim Harvey Second Unit

So the horizon seems bare for more SE releases of these flicks? At least until the next platform, I suppose. I guess that's slightly encouraging to know, even though both do warrant a nice set of extras.

14. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Screenwriter

Going back to Craig's post, the "internet rumor" was that there was going to be a Vista Series release with director's cut, commentary, and bonus features. We got nothing, but a nice anamorphic transfer and DTS.

15. Jim Harvey

Jim Harvey Second Unit

So - just to ask once more - it's probably safe to purchase The Rocketeer because there's a slim-to-none chance of a special edition re-release?

16. Rick P

Rick P Supporting Actor

if you can do multi-region/pal, both the R2 and R4 Rocketeer are 16:9 anamorphic.

17. Jim Harvey

Jim Harvey Second Unit

Thanks for the help. I might be a bit screwed on the other region releases, sadly. Even if Disney just re-released the disc with an anamorphic release I'd be happy.

18. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

I have Dick Tracy. Good transfer and good sound. I'd love the SE, but I'm satisfied for now. I'd buy a decent version of Rocketeer as well.

I was pretty young when Dick Tracy came out. Does anyone know how well the movie did? I thought I read it did ok, but not the blockbuster that Disney had hoped for. True?

19. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

True. It narrowly squeaked past the $100 million mark, so it did fine, but it didn't approach the $251 million of Batman the prior year.

20. AndrewWickliffe

AndrewWickliffe Second Unit

But remember, it wasn't until '93 or so movies were called blockbusters at 100 mil, so for 1990, Dick Tracy did great, #9 of the year. #9 of the year.