1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

The Rocketeer: 20th Anniversary...?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Sten F, May 24, 2010.

1. Sten F

Sten F Well-Known Member

This movie really needs a proper Blu-ray & DVD release with bonus features.

Does anyone know if we´re likely to see a 20th Anniversay Edition, which is next year?

2. Tony J Case

Tony J Case Well-Known Member

20 years?!? My god - where does the time go?

And yes, I'd buy a special edition of this in a hot second!

3. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Well-Known Member

Joseph DeMartino
    I'd absolutely go for a 20th Anniversary edition of this film, something along the lines of the treatment The Last Starfighter got. (Although I'd prefer a Blu Ray release, which TLS also got.) The Rocketeer is the first film I ever bought on laserdisc - a blind buy since I totally missed the film during its theatrical run. (And apparently wasn't the only one.) So to this day I've never seen a really decent presentation of the film, since the current DVD is just a digital version of that same non-anamorphic LD transfer. The film certainly deserves better and so do its fans.

OTOH, I said the same thing last year when Streets of Fire hit its 25th anniversary and I'm still waiting for a decent version of that to be released. Keeping my fingers crossed on The Rocketeer, but not getting my hopes up too high.

Regards,

Joe

4. ChrisCook

ChrisCook Well-Known Member

I'd be very surprise if they are not looking to capitalize on a pre-Lost Terry O'Quinn. And I'll definitely replace my worn out Disney Channel recording (for BD) if it includes the 1991 documentary special, Rocketeer: Excitement in the Air, hosted by Bill Campbell (which even more missed) which is in even rougher shape since I transferred it to DVD-R. Its inclusion in any future release is a must.

5. Porfirio

Porfirio Well-Known Member

Has there ever been a region-free Special Edition released in another part of the world?

6. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Well-Known Member

I'd get this if it's re-released in anamorphic format.

7. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    I'd love to see The Rocketeer remastered on blu-ray. Fantastic movie, the cast were perfect, loved the recreation of 30's Hollywood, and the music score was one of James Horner's best. Top marks.

8. jscotto

jscotto New Member

I hope they do, however, the 20 yr anniversary of Dick Tracy came and went without any hoopla. At least none that I heard of.

9. Fritz Nilsen

Fritz Nilsen Well-Known Member

Fritz Nilsen
    My Scandinavian DVD is anamorphic, but soft like you wouldn't believe. I have a 720p broadcast version of the film that is quite good, albeit cropped to 1.78 from the original 2.35:1.

While waiting for a proper release I wholeheartedly recommend the recent reprint of the complete Rocketeer comics.

Hey, maybe we can share some pictures to keep us occupied. I'm afraid we have a loooong wait ahead of us :)

[​IMG]