What's new

The Rock: DTS Laserdisc (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Ooh, my own DTS laserdisc thread, I'm so proud. :)

I would have just bumped up the old DTS laser thread, but I have a specific question, so I thought I'd start out a new one. I'm in the process of hunting down (to the ends of the Earth) DTS laserdiscs...and have the chance to get The Rock. I was wondering if the DTS track on the laser was the same as the relatively lackluster track on the DVD. If so, than I probably don't want it...but if it sounds really good than I'll pick it up.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for where to buy DTS lasers...aside from the obvious HTF postings and eBay auctions.

Thx.

Brett C

Second Unit
I have both the DTS Ld of The Rock and the Criterion DVD and believe it or not the DVD actually sounds better, slightly more depth in the lowend and just a touch more overall clarity. Hard to believe I know, but true.

TedT

Second Unit
WHICH The Rock DVD are we talking about here?!?!? "Know Your Role" or "Just Bring It"? Didn't know these came out on LD though.

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
We are talking about the Michael Bay film.

The Criterion DVD has an image that is hard to beat (and certainly won't by the LD). I know you are after this for the sound, but damn this one looks sweet. And I found nothing wrong with the audio on this one.

-Christian

RISUG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Reese
Criterion Rock DTS track lackluster?, wow, that LD track must be something.:eek:

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Okay...I'll change my wording...the DTS track on the DVD doesn't blow the DD track out of the water.

Jeez, I was just asking a simple question (Is the DTS track on the LD the same as the one on the DVD?).

RISUG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Reese
FYI - I wasn't being sarcastic, I was genuinely intrigued.

greg_t

Screenwriter
I don't have the DTS LD either, but I know the DD on the criterion dvd is awesome, so I doubt the DTS ld would better it by much. It may not be enough to for go the anamaphoric video on the dvd.

If you're getting into DTS LD though, and can get it for a good price, I'd just do it. Be careful though, I bought the Titanic DTS Laser just to have one, and now I have over 30 DTS LD's. It's an addictive, and expensive hobby. But a great one, nothing quite like kicking up a good DTS laser.

Sergio Z.

Stunt Coordinator
hey guys, just wanted to make sure, as I just bought a Jurassic Park DTS LD (1st DTS LD)and should be getting it soon....I have an LD player with a basic digital out but none specifically labelled DTS. Am I going to be able to hear the track if I at least have DTS decoding on my receiver?

greg_t

Screenwriter
For DTS on LD, all you need is a digital out of your LD player, be it coaxil or fiber optic, and a DTS decoder in your reciever. So it sounds like you should be good to go.

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
Here is a review:
To be sure, the Dolby Digital mix on the initial release (Jan 97) is great fun, but in the most active sequences, such as the car chase, it is a blur of noises compared to the precisely defined and delivered DTS audio. The dialog, for example, is delivered unevenly on the Dolby Digital track, coming in too loud in some places and too soft in others, but on the DTS track it stays at one level, unhindered by the mayhem surrounding it. In quieter scenes, too, the details of the DTS mix are richer and better rounded.

From this site: http://www.dvdlaser.com/search/detail.cfm?ID=22585

RobD

Second Unit
The Criterion LD sounds identical to the DVD in Dolby Dig to my ears. Im afraid I havent got the DTS Rock LD so cant compare that one and only borrowed the Criterion DVD to see if it was worth upgrading and on that day I vowed never to double dip.

Just because the DVD sounds damn good doesnt mean the DTS LD cant sound better, for example Tommorow Never Dies on DTS LD sounds quite a bit better than the DVD which doesnt sound bad at all.

Declan

Second Unit
I just bought a Jurassic Park DTS LD
ohhhhhh trust me when i say that when that first note of the music kicks in at the beginning, you will not want to spin the DVD ever again, uless you want to watch the extras:D

One of the best sounding discs I have.

p.s. To anyone who has the JP DTS LD, did you notice that after the car falls onto it's roof after Grant and Tim clear the tree, there is a crack of thunder in the surrounds just as the jeep slams to the ground, I never heard that in the film before, on dvd, TV, never. Was my hearing wrong or did the DTS LD just have extra sound effects put in or was it (more likely) the fact that you can really hear EVERYTHING with a well mastered DTS LD.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
ohhhhhh trust me when i say that when that first note of the music kicks in at the beginning, you will not want to spin the DVD ever again, uless you want to watch the extras
Actually, I don't even own the DVD. I'm not really sure why...JP has always been one of my favorites, but I've always had an, "Oh, I'll by it sometime" opinion. Glad I just bought the DTS LD instead. Bye the way...I had heard about the opening note...and I always thought, "those guys must be crazy...no way one note can sound that good."

...I am happy to say that I was dead wrong. I'm glad I have some good speakers, because with anything else, I'd be worried that I would have blown them. Wow. Just, wow.

Also, I did end up picking up the Rock. It should be here next week.

greg_t

Screenwriter
I played a few scenes from my JP DTS LD and my DTS repressed DVD. I can still hear virutally no diffence between them, as they are supposedly the same mix. The DTS LD did have the surrounds 3db too high, so maybe that is why you hear "extra sound effects". I just can't hear any significant difference between the DTS laser and 2nd DTS dvd. Now I also have the DTS LD and DTS dvd of the Lost World, and I can hear a pretty significant difference between them, in favor of the laser.

Sergio Z.

Stunt Coordinator
thx for the input on the JP DTS LD, guys! Sorry about the distraction, Matt. The Rock is a great movie!
I sense a bad DTS LD habit stirring up for me :frowning: :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks