What's new

"The Robe" and "Demetrius and the Gladiators" are now a wow! (1 Viewer)

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Ed I think that yes the Studios are missing out on a huge market for these movies. I am looking forward to seeing Ben Hur the silent version which TCM said the Chariot Race seems better than the 1959 epic.

Plan to watch that this weekend. Palm Sunday I also watch the Robe again and Demetrius so you see I really do love these two movies.

I grew up with them but the restoration is fantastic too. I have bought a copy of each since they both hit home video.

I almost forgot I bought a blu-ray even though I bought the DVD last year of Samson and Delilah and it looks great!!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Not only is the chariot race better in the silent Ben Hur, so is the naval battle. They did not use the painfully obvious models of the '59 version, so the battle is more realistic. If they used any models, at least they were not obvious to my eyes when I saw this screened in 35mm.
I actually prefer the silent version, even though Wyler is one of my favorite directors.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
What I can't understand is why WB didn't allow a blu-ray of the Niblo BEN-HUR to be included in their anniversary big box set. Of course, Paramount gave us the silent TEN COMMANDMENTS BD in their deluxe edition, which was really appreciated. I also attended a screening some years ago of the Niblo version which looked sharp and quite fabulous on the big screen. Was it that they were too cheap to do a new HD scan or are they biding their time for some future BEN-HUR release where this might be a selling point? I just wish that the WB Archives BD "division" would include this or THE WIND, THE CROWD, GREED, THE FOUR HORSEMEN OF THE APOCALYPSE and THE STUDENT PRINCE on their schedule. Not holding my breath, however.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Ed Lachmann said:
THE WIND, THE CROWD, GREED, THE FOUR HORSEMEN OF THE APOCALYPSE and THE STUDENT PRINCE on their schedule. Not holding my breath, however.
The WAC flat out stated that WHV was holding onto Greed for a hopeful release which is preventing them from doing anything with that title, and its very likely those other high profile silents are also being held onto by WHV. Most if not all of those are out of the WAC hands, which is why they never even appeared on MOD.

So yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath either and just cross my fingers for another Big Parade style miracle.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I have watched them all now Greatest Story and now I will get to see the Robe again on Palm Sunday and Easter.I feel very lucky. I love remembering the family gathered around the TV set as ABC aired this movie every year on Easter.Thanks to FOX for this great restoration. I shall be watching again for the last time Easter Sunday after watching this weekend.Not to forget to thank Twilight Time for the BD of Demetrius. You guys did a great job.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I almost forgot to mention the silent Ben Hur which I hope to see this weekend or at least during Holy Week.I really look forward to seeing the film. I am sure it will become a must see viewing from this year forward.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I finished my list except for Ruth and Silver Chalice which I save for Holy Saturday. Ben Hur 1925 will air again this week on TCM. Much different than the 1959 version. I reserve the Song OF Bernadette for Easter after church and the rest such as the Robe and the end of Ten Commandments 1956 which I also watched the complete silent version this weekend and Sign of the Cross.

Prefer the 1956 version of Ten than the silent. I also much prefer Quo Vadis taken from the classic book as I do the 1931 Sign of the Cross.

I may watch along with Quo Vadis Salome again on Good Friday. I also want to throw in I'd Climb the Highest Mountain again this week.

Look forward to the Robe and Demetrius one last time this year Easter Sunday night

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I listened to the Robe CD and Demetrius last night while reading. Love those CDs! I was able to sneak in Francis of Assisi (1961 and tonight I have Man Called Peter and DeMille's the Crusades.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I just wanted to remind fans that the LLOYD C. Douglas The Big Fisherman will be on TCM Easter at 10:30 EST. I have not seen the movie so I will record it and hope to catch the last of it while it broadcasts. They have it in a 3 hour time slot.

I wish it was not pan and scan as members have stated here.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
I've set my timer for THE BIG FISHERMAN on TCM, but I am expecting it to be the same pan/scan transfer they've shown before. If it is, I won't watch it. I've never seen it and I'm sure not going to waste my first viewing of it in a butchered version. I doubt Disney will ever do anything with it, it's an old live action film and one with a religious subject, two strikes when it comes to their releases,, but I'm hoping it may come out overseas in Blu if the copyright rests with someone else there. I won't be home tomorrow so the MGM KING OF KINGS on Blu for me tonight. I'm not a religious person, but I love these vintage biblical epics and would like to see them all be released on Blu. Happy Easter, Mark, and everyone else on HTF!

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I'm also setting up some "biblical" feature viewing tomorrow. I still have some sitting around that I haven't gotten around to viewing and the timing couldn't be better.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Happy Easter to you Glen!! Like you said to all members too. Ten Commandments is playing right now until 11:44 EST on ABC. I think that is nice that ABC still does that. I think one year they did not and fans caused a fuss over it.

The funny thing I am up to the Jewish people leaving Egypt and will watch the parting of the Red Sea and watch the ending of the movie Easter Sunday Night as my last Easter viewing movie. The Robe and Demetrius I will watch before with Song of Bernadette the first thing in the morning and then the rest of what is being broadcast of The Big Fisherman. I want to see what this movie is all about because I have read the book.

Holy Saturday Night I always watch The Story of Ruth and the Silver Chalice. Silver always has such a different look to it. I am sure there are a lots of background tales as why it does look different than your sword and sandal type movies.

Paul Newman sure hated being in it because of his legs he always said.

Love this time of year. I sort of set a goal this year and I met it. I watched my entire library of Easter or religious type movies. Lot of viewing but it did give me insight on my recorded movies and which in the future I should purchase. I want to wait though to see if they do come out in blu-ray before I do.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
TCM showed Quo Vadis this afternoon, but I was working and didn't watch. I took my Blu-ray out tonight and watched about an hour of it. A wonderful Blu-ray visually, but Warners cheaped out and only did a low bitrate lossy Dolby Digital soundtrack.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I've got ABC's "Ten Commandments" playing on the background (I'm at work)... I don't know that I had ever thought about this before, but it really works as a silent movie - without having the volume turned up, it's still very easy to follow the story beat to beat. (Having seen it before helps, of course, but extra props to DeMille's visuals)

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I watched the DVD of Demetrius and the Gladiators yesterday, and have to say it looked better than I remember. It's still not one of the better looking DVDs out there. It has the option of listening in 4.0 or stereo (apparently missing from the TT release). I preferred the stereo track processed with Dolby Pro Logic IIx, which helped ameliorate the odd dropouts on hard L&R dialogue on the 4.0 Surround track.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
What a great way to go against the the tide of Halloween movies!! I wish I that I could say the same for me. I have a large Halloween Library of films which I can never finish and rotate them from year to year except the classics of course. I have a friend who this year turned away from his Halloween Library and began instead his Christmas movies. He is very much into all Christmas movies and has I think every title out there.

You both give me pause though and much to think on.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Mark Collins said:
What a great way to go against the the tide of Halloween movies!! I wish I that I could say the same for me. I have a large Halloween Library of films which I can never finish and rotate them from year to year except the classics of course. I have a friend who this year turned away from his Halloween Library and began instead his Christmas movies. He is very much into all Christmas movies and has I think every title out there.

You both give me pause though and much to think on.
You've reminded me, that I have a boatload of scary movies to get to before it's too late. :)

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I still wish I could break with the tide and watch something else. I just love the fall in the Midwest and the classic Halloween movies I have.I hate the slasher movies and only go as far as the original Halloween.Like I said my friend who has a boat load of these type movies has turned away from them to Christmas movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks