What's new

The Road to the SuperBowl: The NFL Playoffs (1 Viewer)

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
hmmm...the Raiders. i would not be surprised to see them knocked out. the stats show a very low percentage of the #1 seeds in the AFC actually make it to the show. (Something like 3 of the last 10). Add to that the very real fact that most of the skill players play with walkers and canes. i can see the old guys running out of gas...

if the eagles manage to make it to the nfc championship game, the vet will be CRAWLING with cops.

brianacook

Stunt Coordinator
please give us eagle fans more credit than that. sure, there will be a few jerks who will try to tear up the place win or lose, but most of us will be our usual law-abiding selves.

eagles fans do not get a fair shake at all. we are the best in football, in any sport!! it is a shame that a few ignorant people can give us all a bad rep. it is the same everywhere!!

brian
700 level

Steve Clark

Second Unit
eagles fans do not get a fair shake at all. we are the best in football, in any sport!!
I guess you better start working on the national media then. All I ever hear on sports talk shows and in print media is that Philadelphia sports fans historically are the worst fans in terms of negativity and that Atlanta fans have now joined them in terms of complacency.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
There's got to be some truth to the stories that abound about the fans at the Vet.

After all, the Vet was the first and to my knowledge the only stadium to have a courtroom in the basement to process all of the arrests that take place during a games.

Of course the reputation now has a life of its' own so I'm certain it is exaggerated a little.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
Philly fans are, afterall, Philly fans...
... Philadelphia sports fans historically are the worst fans in terms of negativity...
I sometimes wonder why Philly fans get such a bad rep. But then I was reminded on the last Eagles home game when I saw a fan um, relieving himself off the side of the concourse down onto the street below. But that's not customary for all Philly fans, so we do have a few jerks. Doesn't everybody? :)
Since I've lived in Philadelphia all 23 years of my life, I really have no idea what people talk about when they say we're negative. You bet your sweet ass I'm going to boo a team if they are sucking it up. Why shouldn't I? If I don't boo, then they'll think it's all right to lose and to be 2nd best. Don't all fans do this? I remember hearing the 9ers fans booing them when they were losing to the Eagles on the Monday night game. And I remember the Giants fans booing at the end of the first half this past week when they decided to just sit on the ball instead of going for the end zone.
And with that, I'll boo if the Eagles get upset in their first play-off game, and I'll boo if they are getting killed in the NFC championship. But I won't if they are playing good football and lose. And I won't when they get to the San Diego, and play a good game. That's all I ask for... Just play the way I know you can, and everyone will be happy... and boo-free.
My prediction: Eagles (couldn't you guess? :) ) vs. Raiders. I was 2 the last time it happened, and boy was I pissed!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
As a lifelong Raiders fan, I'll admit that Woodson and James have to come back in order for the Raiders to have a chance. They can't win all the playoff games necessary with their fourth and fifth string corners (I believe Buchanan was "out for the season" but I don't know if that includes the playoffs).
Having home field advantage is huge for them. If you've never been in Oakland Coliseum during their games, you don't know what an intimidating field it can be. The TV coverage doesn't do it justice.
But as has been the case since the Ravens/Raiders playoff games a couple of years ago, the Raiders are one injury away from being a mediocre team - Rich Gannon is priceless to them. One big hit like Siragusa put on him, and it's all over for the silver and black. I love the fact that they've diversified the offense and got Jolley and Porter more involved, so they don't depend on just Rice and Brown while passing. And Garner's pass catching ability, combined with his elusiveness in open space, makes him a great complement to the offense they run (probably the 2nd MVP behind Gannon for this team).
The defense is playing tenacious right now, despite having a depleted secondary. If they can get their corners back the defense will be solid. The bye week will help the "old geezers" get their legs back.
But yeah, the beauty of single-elimination playoffs is that it is a crap-shoot. Any given Saturday/Sunday the "favorite" can take an early exit from the playoffs.
Good luck to everyone's teams! (but of course I wish the most luck to my Raiders! :D )

GARY C

Second Unit
O.K., because someone brought it up and I had a few seconds of free time, here are the last 3 years of regular season stats. Please excuse any math errors on my part. I was pulling for the Raiders, but the Eagles get the nod for the most wins in the last 3 years. As for cinci'... there's always the draft. :)
Oh, and go Raiders. (I want a Raiders vs. T-Bay final for the obvious reasons).
2000 / 2001 / 2002 / Total
1 Philadelphia 11-5 / 11-5 / 12-4 / 34-14
2 Green Bay 9-7 / 12-4 / 12-4 / 33-15
2 Oakland 12-4 / 10-6 / 11-5 / 33-15
4 Pittsburgh 9-7 / 13-3 / 10-5-1 / 32-15-1
5 Miami 11-5 / 11-5 / 9-7 / 31-17
5 St. Louis 10-6 / 14-2 / 7-9 / 31-17
5 Tampa Bay 10-6 / 9-7 / 12-4 / 31-17
5 Tennessee 13-3 / 7-9 / 11-5 / 31-17
9 Baltimore 12-4 / 10-6 / 7-9 / 29-19
9 NY Giants 12-4 / 7-9 / 10-6 / 29-19
11 Denver 11-5 / 8-8 / 9-7 / 28-20
11 NY Jets 9-7 / 10-6 / 9-7 / 28-20
11 San Francisco 6-10 / 12-4 / 10-6 / 28-20
13 Indianapolis 10-6 / 6-10 / 10-6 / 26-22
13 New Orleans 10-6 / 7-9 / 9-7 / 26-22
15 New England 5-11 / 11-5 / 9-7 / 25-23
16 Washington 8-8 / 8-8 / 7-9 / 23-25
17 Chicago 5-11 / 13-3 / 4-12 / 22-26
17 Minnesota 11-5 / 5-11 / 6-10 / 22-26
17 Seattle 6-10 / 9-7 / 7-9 / 22-26
20 Kansas City 7-9 / 6-10 / 8-8 / 21-27
21 Atlanta 4-12 / 7-9 / 9-6-1 / 20-27-1
22 Buffalo 8-8 / 3-13 / 8-8 / 19-29
23 Cleveland 3-13 / 7-9 / 9-7 / 19-29
23 Jacksonville 7-9 / 6-10 / 6-10 / 19-29
25 Arizona 3-13 / 7-9 / 5-11 / 15-33
25 Carolina 7-9 / 1-15 / 7-9 / 15-33
25 Dallas 5-11 / 5-11 / 5-11 / 15-33
28 Detroit 9-7 / 2-14 / 3-13 / 14-34
28 San Diego 1-15 / 5-11 / 8-8 / 14-34
30 Cincinnati 4-12 / 6-10 / 2-14 / 12-36

Paul O

Stunt Coordinator
Giants! Based upon history at least for the NFC - Home Field Advantage gives the Eagles the best shot but with McNabb Questionable for the playoffs and Rusty at best i think that stat is going to go out the window.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
And that "5" was 5 teams with losing records.

As a former Philadelphian (and still a Philadelphian at heart) I can attest to Philly having some of the best fans there are. Very knowledgable and enthusiastic, but impatient!

People will point to the whole "booing Santa Claus" incednet. I tell you this, I have a buddy who was at that game. That Santa Claus sucked! He was drunk! He deserved to be booed! It took Philly fans to have the guts to do it.

There are idiots all over the league. What made the national new this year? A Philly fan who almost got beaten to death at a Redskins home game. The New York fans have thrown snow and iceballs. Other fans have thrown beer bottles. There are morons everywhere, not just Philly.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Saturday Schedule
Indianapolis Colts vs NY Jets (4:30pm on ABC)

Atlanta Falcons vs Green Bay Packers (8:00pm on ABC)
Sunday Schedule
Cleveland Browns at Pittsburgh Steelers (1:00pm on CBS)
NY Giants at SF 49ers (4:30pm on Fox)
Early predictions:
Jets over Colts 31-24
Packers over Falcons 17-16
Browns over Steelers 21-13
Giants over 49ers 23-20

Steve Clark

Second Unit
Pittsburgh is going to trounce the Browns.
Cleveland was awesome on the road this year with a 6-2 record. They also lost both times to Pittsburgh by only 3 points, one in overtime. Granted Couch is hurt, but based on these stats they definitely have a chance.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
When you get to the playoffs, every team has a chance. As a Steelers fan, I actually like the fact that no one is giving them a chance this year. This Steelers team plays better with a chip on their shoulder. They have a ton of talent but their lack of 'desire' has been readily apparent on many occasions this year (see last week's game against Bal). Bell and Farrior should be back this week and that's a big boost for the defense. I'm looking forward to the matchup with our longtime rival Browns.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I Like the birds, but I do recall some severe booing when young Donovan McNabb became an Eagle. The fans wanted Ricky badly. I wonder who sells more jerseys now?
:D
Chuck

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Re: Booing McNabb on draft day

A little context is in order. All people see are 30 morons booing Donovan McNabb. In reality, the fans weren't booing McNabb as much as they were booing the non-pick of Ricky Williams. The city wanted Williams in the worst way - they wanted an instant fix to a dreadful 3-13 team. A running back can often times give you that spark that a developing QB can not. Of course, with hindsight, you can see this was a stupid idea but back then, no one knew which of the QBs available that year would be any good (Couch, McNabb, Akili Smith, Cade McNown) - and luckily, the Eagles picked the one QB that really panned out. The fans at that time weren't ready to develop a QB after going 3-13 ... a lot of fans felt it was better to draft Williams and pick up a veteran QB via free agency.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
All correct, Patrick.
The "booing McNabb" incident can be attributed to one low-rent moron named Angelo Cataldi, a sports jock who convinced some fans to boo if Williams weren't chosen. I can't speak for the entire city, but my friends and I who were watching that draft were THRILLED that the Birds signed Donny. Overjoyed, even.
Nothing against Ricky Williams, but lots of us were (and still are) quite happy with the output of Duce Staley. Our need for a QB was much stronger than our need for a RB, but who'd expect one moronic radio host to know that?
Just bugs me how a few morons booing at that draft are now seen as representative of Eagles fans as a whole...much like how EVERY Eagles fan threw snowballs at some stupid Santa guy as opposed to the 15-20 drunkards it really was.
BUT my other thread was shut down for discussing the very volatile issue of Philadelphia Sports Fans, so let's get back to the playoffs in general.
Most important thing is simply this:
Other teams do NOT want to play here, but this post-season they have no choice. :)

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
Who would have thought that the Saints would be 10 & 6 and NOT be in the playoffs? Seems their heads were in their ass the last few weeks. Although most of their game scores were above 30 points...?:frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks