What's new

"The Road to Bali/The Road to Rio" HD DVD has shipped 1-16-08 (1 Viewer)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Hit the B button on most discs to bookmark the location. You can see (and select) your bookmarks under either a my scenes menu or the chapter menu.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Adam, I'll try that out. Any idea in general, if bookmarks are remembered when the disc is removed from the player. I have a regular dvd player (5 disc carousel) that resumes play even if you take the disc out. My blu-ray resumes play, but only when the disc is left in, though the machine can be turned off.

Gary Miller

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sorry for getting too far off topic.

However, I came across a standard DVD disc that outputs a 1080i signal through component (a Spanish language disc that belongs to an employee). As I recall, the box indicates region 1 and 4. It certainly didn't look like an upconvert. Apparently, a very low budget movie with fabulous P.Q.

Confusing, no?

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

It is possible to author a 1080i or 1080p movie in MPEG2 on a standard DVD and it will play back on an HD DVD player. However even with a double layer DVD you will only have about 35 or 40 min of playback time.

Doug

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

Bookmarks are stored internally so you can take the HD DVDs out!

I had bookmarks for "Road to Rio", "Road to Bali" "Disturbia" (excellent thriller), Star Trek "Space Seed" & other ST episodes for that last week or so.

Back on topic, I concur with Paul & Scott subjective review above, let me add that "Road to Rio" HD DVD is a Great Improvement over my Digitally Restored Bob Hope Film Collection "Road To Rio" (1947) SD DVD!

What the HD DVD restored vs. SD DVD (viewed 62" Toshiba DLP 1080p HDTV / Toshiba HD-A35):

1) Minimized film shake - especially during the opening film credits

2) Restored the opening film credit's aspect ratio
... a) SD DVD looked cropped
... b) One credit frame(s) actually panned slightly to the left, then to the right

3) Major film scratches and white spot blemishes removed.
.... a) As noted by Paul, "... scratches and blemishes are few and far between ..."

4) Overall clarity restored, especially when comparing the map / footsteps opeining sequence & distance crowd scene shots.
.... a) As noted by Paul, "...1080P Detail is very good, down to the cross-square weave patterns on Bob Hope's suit "
.... b) Let me add that Bing's pin-striped suit benefitted with the restored 1080p detail also.

5) Paul's comment on Contrast is 100% accurate, " I would compare the contrast of this B&W film to late-night 50's B&W television"

6) Soundtrack dynamics, though limited far superior vs. SD DVD.

Funny movie - highly recommend.

-------------
"Road to Bali"

I never had a copy of "Road to Bali", or seen the movie before (more accurately, don't remember seeing it before), ... so I can't comment on the SD DVD differences vs. HD DVD, but the colors, 1080p detail and contrast look very good for a 40's film.

I imagine that major film scratches and white/color spot blemishes were removed but you'll see the occasional minor film scratches and blemishes throughout the film. Really silly, slapstick theme film with very good special effects (for the 40's) and a few unexpected surprize cameo's!

All-in-all, a nice addition to my HD DVD library!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks