What's new

The Road coming in 2008... (1 Viewer)

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer

According to the article, director John Hillcoat said the film won't make its current release date -- it simply is not done. That's good news to me: he wants to get it right. I'm fine with waiting a little longer.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
One of my most eagerly anticipated films.

I read the book not too long after my son was born and it brought me to tears. I hope the movie turns out well.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
jeez, almost a year..cant be a good sign.:frowning:

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member

I think it is a good sign that it's being released in October. If the movie was complete crap, it would be released in August or in the first 3 months of the year. An October release says to me that "we think this movie has a chance to succeed and we're going to give it a chance."

buttmunker

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
It is all about how a film is 'marketed.' If the movie studio decides not to compaign the film for the Oscars, it matters not how good a film is. The film could be fantastic, but if it isn't marketed/campaigned, it will not be nominated.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer

I hope you're joking.

I agree that it's a good sign. I'm glad that all involved feel confident enough to take their time and put out a quality product.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Don't forget about the investors $$$$$$$.

If they're willing to wait an additional year for their returns, they must be pretty confident that it's a good film and will make additional profits. Otherwise, they'd rush it out right now, and cut their losses.

I think that they must be trying to gear this up for Oscar season.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Have any films delayed almost a year gone on to oscar or big box-office success ?

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I don't know the history leading up to the movie very well but wasn't Titanic delayed?

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer

Many films have been delayed and gone on to be successful. I don't think John Hillcoat wanted to rush the movie out last November -- it wasn't done. At least, it wasn't done as right as it could be. They pulled it and let him finish it. I think it's cynical to think that it was pulled for reshoots or because it needed a lot of work. As far as I know, principal photography ended on schedule and they went to work on post-production. This is not Gangs of New York.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

5 months.
And btw, I wish this film nothing but success as i loved the book, im just not as optimistic as others about the new delayed october date.

sorry:frowning:

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I'm firmly in the camp that believes the delay is troubling but the timing of the delay is actually sorta promising.

I get the vibe that the first delay was unfortunate but that they're still trying to release it in awards season. As others have said, delaying the film a few months and dumping it off in January or February? That would be troubling.

buttmunker

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
I'm really wondering how big a part Guy Pearce has in this, and if it is a grand part (awards-worthy)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks