What's new

Blu-ray Review The Right Stuff Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That's what I get for not getting an Oppo.

I came close--because I really wanted a multi-format player (especially for SACD and DVD-A)--but cheaped out and got the Pio instead. I've been very happy with it however.

I wonder if I should compare my disc ID number with yours?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Exchange it just to be safe and you will be guaranteed a correct disc. I don't know if the lady to email is in this thread or another, but if you need the address, I will look it up for you in my sent email.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
FWIW:

The SKU on my copy is: 883929 180066

I am about going blind trying to read the disc number printed around the inside hub of the disc itself (on the back).

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I don't think they changed the sku. When they sent the replacement disc it was just in a round blu-ray case. If I can find it, I'll see if I can read the inner ring numbers.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Steve Tannehill said:
Exchange it just to be safe and you will be guaranteed a correct disc. I don't know if the lady to email is in this thread or another, but if you need the address, I will look it up for you in my sent email.
Thanks, Steve. Maybe that's what I'll do. Wasn't an exchange discussed here on the HTF somewhere?
Steve Tannehill said:
I don't think they changed the sku. When they sent the replacement disc it was just in a round blu-ray case. If I can find it, I'll see if I can read the inner ring numbers.
Be careful, Steve. You don't need to hurt your eyes, too!
wink_2.gif

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Mike Frezon said:
Thanks, Steve. Maybe that's what I'll do. Wasn't an exchange discussed here on the HTF somewhere?
Yes, but I don't think it was this thread...go figure.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
THE RIGHT REPLACEMENT STUFF 96KHz Dolby TrueHD arrived this afternoon and now being listened too. Sounds great I like it. :) Cheers Sherri at Warner Bros.

10492307_10152530599815149_1147855434698536315_n.jpg

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Does anybody know if the replacement discs are appearing in the digibooks? Or is it a matter of it's only available via mail? I am in Canada and am not sure if I can get a replacement, even though at least one guy here did, like if it was a policy or a nicety/concession that I might not get now. That's why I haven't got this yet, was hoping the proper disc would migrate to the "store" packages eventually and I'd save the hassle (for WHV mainly). Thanks.

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
CraigF said:
Does anybody know if the replacement discs are appearing in the digibooks? Or is it a matter of it's only available via mail? I am in Canada and am not sure if I can get a replacement, even though at least one guy here did, like if it was a policy or a nicety/concession that I might not get now. That's why I haven't got this yet, was hoping the proper disc would migrate to the "store" packages eventually and I'd save the hassle (for WHV mainly). Thanks.

I understand that the newer disc were used in the digibook, but if you buy it and get a 48Khz version, you can still get a replacement.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/327280-a-few-words-about%E2%84%A2-the-right-stuff-in-blu-ray/#entry4217687

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
ChromeJob said:
I understand that the newer disc were used in the digibook, but if you buy it and get a 48Khz version, you can still get a replacement.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/327280-a-few-words-about%E2%84%A2-the-right-stuff-in-blu-ray/#entry4217687

Yes, I did get the 96kHz version, whenever I eventually ordered the digibook (last year). However, somewhere I missed it was 96kHz @ 16bits, which is useless nonsense, I'd have rather had 48kHz @ 24 bits (i.e. more resolution/refinement) if the quality of the extant soundtrack materials made that worthwhile. Sample rate is not an issue, epecially since many people use some room EQ solution (e.g. Audyssey, Dirac Live), most all of which downsample to 48kHz anyway. Even without that, 48kHz is fine for 16 bits, I don't expect refinement miracles with 16 bits.

I did enjoy the BD though, worthwhile, and I do get the point of the film (since I do know a lot of the backstories).

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
My understanding is the 96kHz upscaling doesn't provide better resolution in playback, but for some pre-amplification, decode processing. Can you hear the difference? Of course not. But since the discs are advertised as having this enhancement, you should "get what you pay for." (I have an old, old Warner DVD of THE YEAR OF LIVING DANGEROUSLY that is clearly marked as featuring a Dolby Surround Sound 2.0 soundtrack, but the disc has only a 1.0 English track. So I'm wary of labels misrepresenting what's on the disc, even if 99% of the consumer market doesn't know or care about these teeny, tiny printed specs on "the back of the cereal box." )

Since learning more about the Mercury 7 and Gus Grissom in particular (When We Left Earth episode 1 is superb), I've been dissatisfied with the film's treatment of him. He was the engineer of the bunch ... his capsule was the first with a hatch with explosive bolts (the exhaustive testing of jet aircraft hatch systems couldn't possibly simulate reentry stresses, could it?),.... It was either Grissom's or Glenn's was the first with a window. Gus' work in Gemini included the design and development of a superb 3- or 4- axis thruster control (a joystick), and his influence into the Gemini capsules was such that the astronauts nicknamed them the "Gusmobile." As much as I like Fred T. Ward, I now fast-forward through the scenes making him out as "screwing the pooch."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks