What's new

the right av receiver? (1 Viewer)

desrosiers13

Auditioning
Real Name
dave
I currently have the Andrew Jones Pioneer speakers. I have the floor standers - fl51's for the fronts Cs21 for the center Bs41's for the rear. They are all rated up to 130watts and have a 6 ohm impedance. From what i hear they are not the most efficient speakers but they sound really good to my ears. I'm limited on rack space so I was looking into the marantz 1403. It can do 6 ohm and has the discrete 5 amplifiers rated at 50 watts PC. Does this mash up work? I just want to make sure I can listen loud enough without having to have it 80% to max. I don't blare my music super loud, but would like to listen to movies louder. I just want something that can push them correctly and the safest for both the sake of my speakers and my future amplifier.

Brainwasher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Luke
This would work fine. Your going to want to get back to 8 ohms across the board. Everything will run much cleaner and efficient. Not to mention sound quality will improve vastly. Start with the AVR, then in Time upgrade those pioneers.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
No problem with those Pio AJ... I'm not a fan of them from the simple "efficiency" stand point. I have not heard them. (one of my theatres features DCM TF600/350 from the mid 80s. Those things are hardly the "pillars of efficiency". But, I got nearly 150 watts per channel backing them up) The 6ohm load is not a problem for 95% of the AVR on the market. Any of the "slimline" Marantz are more than sufficient. Last I checked, used and new, there were 7 different models of the slimline. I think there are two current ones(I don't follow Marantz, so don't ask me for specifics). Like all AVR, you need to make sure it can breath/vent. Pretty much all the 6ohm vs 8ohm means is the AVR is going to produce its "50watts" earlier in gain. So, if you had to turn it up to 80% gain to get 40 watts at 8ohm...with a 6ohm speaker...you'd get to 40watts at 65% gain.... More than likely you'll never task this set of speakers to fill up your room with more than 20 watts each anyway. Unless you are trying to fill up a 30x40 room and you are sitting 20 feet back...

desrosiers13

Auditioning
Real Name
dave
That's great to hear. I was nervous seeing how some of the denon models feature up to 120 wpc at 6 ohm. I know those are all theoretical numbers and are not RMS. Just wanted to make sure it was sufficient enough. Thanks everyone for your replies. I knew the pioneers were not at all efficient, but they sound great to my ears. Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks