What's new

The Rifleman Season Sets in 2013 ? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Darby,

Thanks for the e-mail info. It's what a lot of us probably guessed, single-season releases before any complete box set.

I was hoping for an initial complete series release but it'll be great to see the season sets coming, hopefully in remastered condition.

I hope they'll fast-track the season set timetable.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
My one question, after reading the info Darby provided, is if there ever will be a complete boxed set. What if they only make a limited number of single season sets and never even release a complete set. Those that wait for something like that might get caught in a bad spot. I know I'd like these but had wanted to wait for a big complete set, but now I'm worried that if I do I might not get anything. Does anyone else read it differently?

Gary "probably just an unfounded concern, but I'd like to know for sure if a complete boxed set will be offered at some point" O.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Gary OS said:
My one question, after reading the info Darby provided, is if there ever will be a complete boxed set. What if they only make a limited number of single season sets and never even release a complete set. Those that wait for something like that might get caught in a bad spot. I know I'd like these but had wanted to wait for a big complete set, but now I'm worried that if I do I might not get anything. Does anyone else read it differently?

Gary "probably just an unfounded concern, but I'd like to know for sure if a complete boxed set will be offered at some point" O.
I'm seeing this the same way. Sounds like the complete set, if it happens, will be released after the single-season sets.

It's a decision that I'll have to make after a couple of seasons are out since I have the complete series on the shelf.

The big question for me will be, are they remastered/cleaned up or are they going to use the same prints as MPI used with their box sets.

The 'limited" release" question is big as you mentioned. I'll either roll the dice and wait or buy these sets as they are being released.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I heard that the music has been changed for The Rifleman. Just kidding. ;)

I have been waiting for this series for many years. Bring it on! :)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Ockeghem said:
I heard that the music has been changed for The Rifleman. Just kidding. ;)
Yeah, I heard that because of music clearance issues they would be subbing in some music from a band called "Whitesnake", or something like that. :P

Gary "in all seriousness, I'm really happy that this show is getting a proper release at long last" O.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Has anyone heard any more news with regard to The Rifleman? I would say that this is right now the number one show on my list that I would love to own on DVD. I watch it frequently on VHS tape, and would love (like many others) to have all five seasons some day in complete season sets.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Ockeghem said:
Has anyone heard any more news with regard to The Rifleman? I would say that this is right now the number one show on my list that I would love to own on DVD. I watch it frequently on VHS tape, and would love (like many others) to have all five seasons some day in complete season sets.
Scott,

I'm keeping an eye on this one for news at the official site and there's no update yet.

There was a small change at the site store about a week ago regarding the planned store opening which was set for July. They updated the site to "August" opening but that refers to Rifleman calendars and other items not including the S1 DVD set.

The DVD set is still planned for later in '13 according to the site.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Jeff,Thank you! Much appreciated. About seven or eight years ago, my (then) six-year old daughter and I loved to watch this show on Saturday mornings as we had our special breakfast (some kind of eggs and toast combination) together. Now she's fourteen, and she told me the other day that she'd love to do this again as she too loves The Rifleman (not to mention the breakfasts). It's such a wonderful show.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Ockeghem said:
Jeff,

Thank you! Much appreciated. About seven or eight years ago, my (then) six-year old daughter and I loved to watch this show on Saturday mornings as we had our special breakfast (some kind of eggs and toast combination) together. Now she's fourteen, and she told me the other day that she'd love to do this again as she too loves The Rifleman (not to mention the breakfasts). It's such a wonderful show.
kcxlpk.jpg

I wish I could find that Johnny Crawford autographed photo that I got long ago from "Mark" when I saw him sitting with some rodeo-circuit guys at a hotel in Ardmore Okla.

I was about 10 yrs old at the time and we stopped for lunch and there he was, a couple of tables away from us. I told Mom "That's Mark McCain from the 'Rifleman'!"

She said "No way". I finally got permission to walk over there and ask. I was right...one of the few times that the kid knew more than the Mom :lol:

The show's always been in my top 2 or 3 Westerns.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Jeff,I saw Johnny Crawford in an episode of Little House On the Prairie not too long ago. I don't know if this was an inside joke or not, but he mentioned one of the nearby towns as being "Northfork."

On another note (and I've been wanting to post this for some time as the coincidence -- if one can even call it that -- was beyond eerie), William Schallert freaked us out the other night. In fact, my entire family picked up on it and were floored when they saw it. Have a peek at this.

There was an episode of the same series (Little House On the Prairie -- the episode was titled "The Preacher Takes a Wife") in which William Schallert played a visiting minister. The regular minister, Reverend Alden, is slated to be married to an elderly parishioner, Anna Craig. Harriet Oleson objects to the relationship, and as she is a member of the Board, tells Reverend Alden that he must either break off the relationship or lose his job as the town's minister. This is where William Schallert comes into the picture. He arrives in Walnut Grove, and we learn that about fifteen or so years ago he and Mrs. Oleson were dating one another. Once the town realizes that he and Mrs. Oleson had a prior relationship (I can't recall if he was a preacher at the time), she backs off of her claim that the Reverend Alden must resign.

Okay, now it gets really weird. My family and I are watching a season one episode of The Patty Duke Show one night (I cannot recall the title of the episode, unfortunately), and in it, Martin Lane (Patty's father) is discussing relationships with his daughter. In the dialogue, he says that he dated a girl seriously for a time and then they broke up. The girl's name? Harriet Oleson! I will probably always think that the writers on Little House On the Prairie did this intentionally. You should have heard our family's reaction when we heard the name of Harriet Oleson while watching The Patty Duke Show!

Addendum: Another interesting aspect of this event is that the time frame for both shows works out rather well. Schallert made his appearance in "The Preacher Takes a Wife" in 1979, and subtracting fifteen years, you get the year in which the first season of The Patty Duke Show (1963-1966) aired.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Scott,

14a5ua.jpg

Thanks for the "Little House" info. I'm currently watching that show with Mom. We've not seen it previously. I know....hard to believe that I hadn't seen this show before now :lol: but I'm watching it now with no commercial interruptions with my Mom. Hard to beat that combo. The show's a hit with both of us.

We're viewing S2 at present so we're not yet at the S3 Crawford episode.

"Northfork", that's interesting :) I think that happens a lot in many shows. Performers will often insert a favorite reference in episodes.

I heard a couple of those when I was watching one of my all-time favorite blind-views "Sue Thomas F.B.EYE". One of the agents referenced a "Wagon Train" line in one of the episodes.

There's been several references to an "A-Team" line in other shows.. ."I love it when a plan comes together".

One of the regular characters in the short-lived series "Firefly" carries that side-holster "Wanted Dead Or Alive" gun that Steve McQueen used in his series. The actor referenced that series in a commentary.

It's neat to me that more-recent shows remember past series like that.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Jeff,

I love Sue Thomas F.B.Eye. We're about eight discs into that series as well, although we're not viewing it as rapidly as some of the other series we are working our way through at the moment. I will have to watch for the Wagon Train reference. :)

I'm going to post some thoughts on Little House On the Prairie in the other thread Brent recently created. :)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Ockeghem said:
Jeff,

I love Sue Thomas F.B.Eye. We're about eight discs into that series as well, although we're not viewing it as rapidly as some of the other series we are working our way through at the moment. I will have to watch for the Wagon Train reference. :)

I'm going to post some thoughts on Little House On the Prairie in the other thread Brent recently created. :)
Glad you're enjoying that show :)

There's an update at the Rifleman site but nothing yet about the DVD's.

It looks like they're having some delays in launching the "North Fork General Merchandise" store. It's been delayed another month (had been scheduled for July, then August until an update today).

Here's the info from the site:
The North Fork General Merchandise will open for business on this website in September 2013. We're sorry to say that our target launch date has slipped, and we appreciate our fans' patience while we get ready to open our doors. Millie will be offering unique, branded merchandise for Rifleman fans. Look for prints reproduced from our photographic archive to appear soon.
As of today, the "DVD" paragraph info hasn't been updated, still says that the 1st release (S1) is set for later in '13.

25i52f7.jpg

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Another recent update from therifleman.net:
Dear fans,We regret that the launch date of the official online store for THE RIFLEMAN has to be pushed back–yes, again. With the launch of the online store and DVDs, we are committed to providing the high level of quality that fans of THE RIFLEMAN, the original series, expect and deserve – we do not want to disappoint. No one has to tell us how steadfastedly loyal THE RIFLEMAN fans have been in supporting the series over the years. We are acutely aware of how patient you have been.
We are sorry for the delays, but please be assured that we are working around the clock to open the doors to Millie's General Merchandise as soon as we can, with everything in place and in proper working order. We are working hard to ensure that your patience will be justified; although, that is for THE RIFLEMAN fans to decide. An announcement will be posted here the moment the doors are ready to be thrown open. In the meantime, we deeply appreciate your patience and understanding.
Respectfully,Levy-Gardner-Laven Productions

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Update from the Rifleman site:

THE RIFLEMAN SEASON 1 DVDs
Reserve your copy now

We are pleased to announce that DVDs of the official first season of THE RIFLEMAN will be released in early December, 2013. This boxed set of 8 discs features all 40 episodes of Season 1 digitally re-mastered and presented in sequential order as originally telecast. The DVD boxed set also contains special features, including an early production version of the pilot, photo galleries, and an interview with Arthur Gardner, Chairman Emeritus of Levy-Gardner-Laven Productions and the last living member of the original producers of the series.

The Season 1 DVDs ship in a protective, attractive slipcase, which makes it the perfect holiday gift for RIFLEMAN fans and serious collectors. The Season 1 DVD boxed set will retail for $69.95. Pre-Orders are not being accepted, but you can reserve a copy now (no payment accepted) by joining our mailing list or updating your list preferences if you are already on our mailing list. Join or update your settings in our mailing list and look for an email announcement in early December. (All updates will be posted here; no further information will be given by phone.)
We thank you for your continued support of THE RIFLEMAN, the Original Series.

Link is here

v6j4wi.jpg

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Jeff,Thank you for the great news! I've reserved my copy. :)

DennisBassi

Second Unit
Real Name
Dennis
As much as I love this series I really believe that the price is too high. Also, it is unlikely to be carried by Amazon, at least initially. I would be in for $35 per season, but $70 just seems like too much. I guess I'll wait and see if the production values are high enough to justify it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks