What's new

The Revolution has an OFFICAL name! (1 Viewer)

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
It's called... the Nintendo Wii.

http://revolution.nintendo.com/

Here's Nintendo's explanation:

Wow. It's a wierd name, to be sure. I liked the name Revolution. But I guess Wii symbolizes the radical new direction the big N is going with their new console.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
As nifty as the XBOX360 and the Playstation 3 seem to be, I have to admit I'm most excited to see what Nintendo does with this.

The marketing is working, as I'm even mor intrigued now!

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I think the Revolution/Wii is an interesting gamble by Nintendo. Rather than compete with the Xbox and Playstation 3 which are essentially graphical upgrades of the exisiting consoles, they seem to be trying to do something a little bit different and they should be applauded for it. I think if the price point is right, this could be a huge success - Nintendo supporters will buy it anyway but a lower price point could see a lot of Xbox/PS3 owners getting it as a second console. I own a 360 and am certainly interested in the Wii. (Stupid name though I suppose it is in keeping with trying to be different - revolution is basically another moniker for 360).

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Absolute worst name for a console ever. They had it nailed with Revolution to begin with.

Anyway I know the jokes are going to be flying so had to get mine out of the way early. :D

large

Kevin Ley

Auditioning
I think I'm with most people, thinking that Wii is a dumb name. However, that's not what bothers me the most.

What bothers me is that Nintendo seems to be trying to pass off this naming campaign as some kind of heartfelt message to the gaming community; that they're going against the status quo with this name. That'd be great if that was what was really going on.

It seems to me that some people at Nintendo felt that a name change was absolutely necessary and some marketing monkey came up with this "Wii the people" advertising campaign. When I read Nintendo's message on the Wii website I don't think of new ways to play my games; I think "This is a corny play-on-words." I see no warmth of any kind, just the same corporate motivational yammer that I got from working at places like Gamestop.

That being said; I'm still very excited for the (sigh) Wii. I've always loved Nintendo's products. And the Wii is still a step forward in gaming. I just don't think they need such a wacky campaign to prove themselves.

The good news is that, good or bad, this change is generating press. People are talking about it more than ever and that's the whole point. The comments on this forum are the most positive I've seen so far in Nintendo's favor; so I think we (or Wii) all realize that, in the end, it's about sitting down and playing the damn game.

Joe D

Supporting Actor
I've got a very serious question for a Nintendo insider.

In the past few years, have they been introducing laughing gas or other chemicals into the workplace environment?

Does Nintendo employees ever play video games?

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
Spare a thought for UK and Australian gamers, where 'wee' (same pronounciation) is common kiddy slang for taking a leak.

'Urine the game with the Nintendo Wii.'

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Not a good name. But, im not buying for the name. I feel the launch will be semi-powerful when it comes to titles. Probably why they have been so quiet about things.

But, I do feel the system will do better than the Gamecube in the long run. Not sure why, but I feel this system will bring us better games and a better variety overall than the Gamecube did.

Not that the gamecube didn't have some good titles. It did. It just seemed like it took months and months between releases of something interesting.

I am hoping for more with this system.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I've never bought a non-nintendo system, I still don't have a game cube because I couldn't afford to squander the time while in college, on the other hand my interest in revolution went from astromical to 'eh' with the name change to wii. I guess Nintendo is just really anxious to get the chance to file chapter eleven, after all it'll be a great new adventure.

This is about as hokey as the 'thank you for believing' voice over at the end of Hook.

Plus the oppurtunities for innuendos and dirty jokes are truly endless. Were I twelve-fourteen I'd be delighted at all the oppurtunities to make Nintendo seem filthy and I'd probably not want to actually own one.

Eh, I can't get really angry about this, but I seriously wonder if Nintendo wants to fail. I love and respect them for not getting in the 'my penis is bigger than your penis' comparison that Sony and Microsoft are involved in with stupid hardware specs but when you actually name your console after a penis? Wow, new levels of corporate/marketing stupidity have been released.

I think the question I'm most interested in was how hard and how long did NoA have to argue to get the chance to announce the name before E3? obviously had they announced it there they'd have been met by stupified silence followed by being laughed off the stage and right out of the show.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor

I know! It's like, the new games, and the radical new controller system, and the backwards-compatibility with the GameCube, and the inexpensive price compared to the other new consoles, and the being able to download all kinds of old games going back twenty years. . . all that just totally sucks now.

Nice going, Nintendo. :angry:

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
exactly, its not as though the revolution is no longer exciting just because of a name, that's superficial, it's because switching to calling their system inadvertantly a penis and/or urine seems to reflect a company mindset that makes all those innovations much less exciting.

Penny Arcade really hit the nail on the head with their latest comic.

Also what was that shit that IGN was talking about on their wii-k in review, a brand doesn't sell a product a product sells a brand? Huh? Brands SELL products, Disney, Tupperware, Passion Parties, Tolkien, Wal-Mart, Nike--it's the brand that gets people interested in the other products from a company.

Nintendo just committed brand image suicide, and probably all the great product in the world won't help them. I'm trying to think of an equivalent analogy in real business history, but all that comes to mind is the 'bag-o-nails' sketch from SNL. New Coke is perhaps the most appropriate, though, and that at least offers hope for the future of Nintendo.

Maybe in Japan they can call it a yelda, instead.

Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks