What's new

THE RESCUERS is the sole unreleased Disney animated film... (1 Viewer)

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
After Song of the South, my next most wanted Disney title on DVD is Darby O'Gill. That was one of my favorite's growing up. I bought the video a few years ago, and have watched it several times since. A DVD would be great, though.

And unless I'm missing something, I didn't think they'd released the Jan Michael Vincent classic, The World's Greatest Athlete, yet. That's one of those Disney "classics" I discovered during the early days of Showtime, when they'd show it seemingly 2-3 times a day, every day.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Whispers is actually non-anamorphic widescreen despite what the packaging says. Just a head's up.
Thanks for the note Luke. "I did not know that."

I just looked at the cover at dvdempire.com and assumed it was correct. Maybe I'll have to check it out now, although the fact it is non-anamorphic doesn't thrill me -- maybe rent instead of buy on this one.

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
And unless I'm missing something, I didn't think they'd released the Jan Michael Vincent classic, The World's Greatest Athlete, yet. That's one of those Disney "classics" I discovered during the early days of Showtime, when they'd show it seemingly 2-3 times a day, every day.
You didn't miss anything. There hasn't been any indication of its release. Though I wish it would, definitely one of my all time favorite "childhood memories" films. I still can't watch anything with John Amos without thinking of this movie, especially Die Hard 2.

-Chad

Rob T

Screenwriter
Gee, I find it hard to not find it. Saw it at a local music store chain yesterday for $14.99; I've seen it at Costco for $12.99. Also tend to spot it at Circuit City and Target, sometimes at the ..-Mart stores. It's only at Best Buy I *don't* see it anymore.
I'm able to find most Disney titles at Wal-mart. I've never seen Resuers Down Under there before.
I haven't noticed it at The Future Shop or Costco or any other place that I've looked in either. :frowning:
I'll just have to keep looking till I do find it.

Jim-M

Second Unit
Rather than starting a new thread on Disney DVDs, perhaps I could ask this here. Does anyone know what Disney's plans are for the old live-action films? films such as The Absent-Minded Professor, The Computer Who Wore Tennis Shoes, The Shaggy D.A., etc. I really love those old Disney films compared to their newer live-action films.
From DVDFile today:
"More family favorites are on the way for the New Year from Buena Vista Home Entertainment, who will raid the vaults for five more classic titles on January 14th: The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again, The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes, The Horse in the Gray Flannel Suit, The Absent-Minded Professor, Gus, and Hayley Mills in The Moon Spinners. (Hey Disney, how about Freaky Friday already!?) Retail is $19.95 each, and watch this space for more details on specs and features."

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
five more classic titles on January 14th: The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again, The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes, The Horse in the Gray Flannel Suit, The Absent-Minded Professor, Gus, and Hayley Mills in The Moon Spinners. (Hey Disney, how about Freaky Friday already!?) Retail is $19.95 each, and watch this space for more details on specs and features.
This doesn't sound too good to me. Not the fact that they will be released, but the MSRP seems too low to expect these to be very good releases from Disney. They tend to price their "quality" DVD releases with new Hi-Def transfers at $29.99 or more (think Vault Disney). These may be dirty laserdisc ports. Hopefully they'll at least be OAR. I hope I'm wrong.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Well I'm a sucker for the cheesy Disney live action flics of my childhood! But why release The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again and not The Apple Dumpling Gang ???

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
And the same reason White Fang II is anamorphic widescreen, and White Fang is pan & scan. And Homeward Bound II is anamorphic widescreen, and Homeward Bound is pan & scan. And...and...this is going nowhere. :D

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
And that reason would be? Let me guess, it has something to do with money, right?
I have no idea. I posted my reply mostly to indicate that these don't always make sense. I have no clue why Disney put out Down Under but not the original yet - sometimes these things happen for no apparent reason, and that may well be the case with the Dumpling flicks...

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
I received my copy of the "RESCUERS" (the original) :)
My only Disney film in my collection.
It's even flagged properly! The quality for this type of movies is outstanding.
Anamorphic. Has two English Audio Tracks (5.1). One is the regular audio, the other is the regular audio with the added narration like you'd here if you were listening to an Audio Book. Two English Subtitles (one regular, one that adds what the sounds are). And.. if I remember correctly, the additional Audio tracks are Spanish, Greek, Hebrew, and one or two more.
The bonus features was a documentary on birds (those old film reels), Silly Symphonies - Three Blind Mouseketeers, and a sing-along extra.
Very surprised it's not R1 yet... Cost me a bit over $18 shipped.

MarkBurton

Second Unit
From www.dvdfile.com
On May 20th, Buena Vista Home Entertainment will release seven great ones, including a couple of first-ever DVD debuts. Titles that are a part of the lineup include The Love Bug and The Rescuers (both new to DVD),

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
So now they are all "announced", so-to-speak. But when will we see Sleeping Beauty? My guess is late August, but it's just a guess.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Bambi is currently scheduled for a Platinum release in 2005
Cinderella in 2006

At that point all the classics would have been released on DVD at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks